• Aug 3rd, 2021 7:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1521 posts
552 upvotes
Vancouver

2005 Lexus RX 330 front lower control arm bushing wear picture

Finally got a chance to take a picture for my lower control arm bushing.
It shows some wear and tear. No noise and no impact to handling so far.

Mechanic said it likely will last another 2 years given I only drive 5,000 km per year.

Others have suggested the following which may help or may make things worse:

a. Spray ATP AT-205 reseal to the rubber bushing
b. Add polyurethane to rubber bushing

Any thoughts? And how bad is the bushing currently?
Images
  • 20210801_223230585_iOS.jpg
  • 20210801_214909106_iOS.jpg
Last edited by Fantastical on Aug 1st, 2021 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31877 posts
18862 upvotes
Toronto
If you are keep the vehicle, then fix / replace it now. What’s the point of wait? It’s not going to fix itself. 🤷🏻
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19435 posts
22551 upvotes
GTA
Fantastical wrote: Finally got a chance to take a picture for my lower control arm bushing.
It shows some wear and tear. No noise and no impact to handling so far.

Mechanic said it likely will last another 2 years given I only drive 5,000 km per year.

Others have suggested the following which may help or may make things worse:

a. Spray ATP AT-205 reseal to the rubber bushing
b. Add polyurethane to rubber bushing

Any thoughts?
Do both give you another few years of usage and avoid expensive replacement.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Aug 5, 2007
393 posts
345 upvotes
the whole control arm is a $30 part.. and you can change it yourself with basic ratchet set.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19435 posts
22551 upvotes
GTA
fromage wrote: the whole control arm is a $30 part.. and you can change it yourself with basic ratchet set.
We mentioned that to them in a previous thread. If course you'd also need an alignment, so that's another $80-100.
OP isn't DIYer it seems so it would still cost more to have a shop do it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1521 posts
552 upvotes
Vancouver
Correct, I am not a DIYer to replace the control arm by myself.

I also checked the tire, and it appears the control arm or suspension issue is causing some uneven inside edge tire wear.

Just trying to see can someone opine on how bad is that control arm bushing based on the picture. That would be much appreciated.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19435 posts
22551 upvotes
GTA
Fantastical wrote: Correct, I am not a DIYer to replace the control arm by myself.

I also checked the tire, and it appears the control arm or suspension issue is causing some uneven inside edge tire wear.

Just trying to see can someone opine on how bad is that control arm bushing based on the picture. That would be much appreciated.
It's not about to fall apart, but it is aged and cracking. It's probably not causing an alignment issue itself, but maybe if it stretched a bit.
After you fill out with poly you should have an alignment done. Make sure they set to have minimum toe possible.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
2089 posts
3832 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
Honestly that's nothing. I wouldn't be concerned unless it splits, or makes knocking noises.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
7797 posts
6230 upvotes
Ottawa
Agreed with others to replace the part. Frankly, I cannot imagine why a mechanic would recommend otherwise. On another note, I am a little surprised that Lexus uses stamped steel for their control arms.
Jun 24, 2005
701 posts
116 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Unless my eyes are deceiving me....aren't those multiple tears showing on the 1st photo? There also appears to be a hole on the right lower side.

OP should take a photo of the other side for comparison.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2561 posts
3444 upvotes
Barrie, ON
You'd actually keep driving on that bushing? It's destroyed, lol.
Aug 18, 2013
312 posts
572 upvotes
Next door
mxthor3 wrote: You'd actually keep driving on that bushing? It's destroyed, lol.
That’s exactly what I thought.

I can’t comprehend how a squirt from a tube of caulking will magically extend the life of the part.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2561 posts
3444 upvotes
Barrie, ON
notunknown wrote: That’s exactly what I thought.

I can’t comprehend how a squirt from a tube of caulking will magically extend the life of the part.
Me either. Nothing is going to help that bushing.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2561 posts
3444 upvotes
Barrie, ON
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: Honestly that's nothing. I wouldn't be concerned unless it splits, or makes knocking noises.
Are you blind? Honest question.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
2089 posts
3832 upvotes
YEG/YYZ
mxthor3 wrote: Are you blind? Honest question.
LMAO coming from the dude who's solution to a stripped out lug bolt hole in a hub is to helicoil and use an oversized lug bolt?
mxthor3 wrote: Says someone who's obviously never DIY'd a BMW before, lol.

Instead of swapping out the hub for a single bad thread I'd probably get a helicoil installed with an oversized lug bolt. You can always go back to Costco and ask, but I think you might have a tough time.
I didn't bother replying to this post but I guess I will now.

-The whole point of a helicoil is to preserve the original thread size, not to oversize it. If I'm going to oversize, what's the point of a helicoil? Might as well just make new threads with a tap if I'm going to oversize
-If I oversize the bolt, guess I'll custom oversize the rim too because no way an oversized bolt will fit the rim lug holes
-Better hope the next time I get that wheel serviced the tech doesn't mix the single lug bolt with the other 4 and destroy the threads. (That is if I even get there without the wheel falling off)

Honestly have you ever turned a wrench? There's a reason the mechanic said it will last another 2 years, because it will. Mechanic could have easily told OP they are gone and needed replacement ASAP or OP is risking his life. Then again this is RFD Automotive where putting jack stands on a 1 degree angle will kill you.

This is my definition of need replacement

Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2561 posts
3444 upvotes
Barrie, ON
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: LMAO coming from the dude who's solution to a stripped out lug bolt hole in a hub is to helicoil and use an oversized lug bolt?
Face With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of JoyFace With Tears Of Joy if you kept scrolling in that thread, you'd come to the realization that I did in fact make a mistake, and corrected myself. But yeah bro... Clearly the bushing torn to shit, but you know what let's just let the customer keep driving on it until it completely fails. Pro grade level RFD mechanic right here folks.