• Feb 21st, 2018 1:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3473 posts
1792 upvotes
Toronto, ON

2006 Dodge Grand Caravan stutter issue

Guys, I'm not a mechanic so please excuse me if I sound a little car dumb. My dad's van when driving normally under let's say 70kph, it's fine. But once you reach 80 kph it starts knocking from underneath. Like I can feel the car shake so bad. Now to note, this only happens if you're slowly reaching 80kph, like on a road where 80kph is the maximum. But if I were to accelerate quickly past 80kph then it's fine. I will be taking the van to get it checked later today, but any advice from people who had this type of issue with the van, please provide your inputs.

As always thanks for your help in advance, much appreciated.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4158 posts
2538 upvotes
Ontario
Wheel balancing - maybe a weight came off.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16495 posts
18049 upvotes
Oakville
Could be an unbalanced wheel or it could be a suspension bushing falling apart. It could lead to an accident so have it checked out ASAP.
Have you looked under the car for anything loose or unusual?
How old is car? How many KM?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3473 posts
1792 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Martin (deal addict) wrote: Wheel balancing - maybe a weight came off.
Will take it to mechanic to take a look.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
3473 posts
1792 upvotes
Toronto, ON
engineered wrote: Could be an unbalanced wheel or it could be a suspension bushing falling apart. It could lead to an accident so have it checked out ASAP.
Have you looked under the car for anything loose or unusual?
How old is car? How many KM?
I haven't looked under the car, but it is a 2006 model which my dad bought it in 2012. At the moment it has 297800KM on it. I know it's driven a lot for a caravan, but we use it for our family business purposes. So having this van fixed would be a lot better then buying another one.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4158 posts
2538 upvotes
Ontario
lamboman wrote: Will take it to mechanic to take a look.
If a weight has just come off you should be able to see mark where it was on inner or outer rim. Also check for any chunks of mud stuck on rim. Tire shop can check wheel balance.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
16495 posts
18049 upvotes
Oakville
lamboman wrote: I haven't looked under the car, but it is a 2006 model which my dad bought it in 2012. At the moment it has 297800KM on it. I know it's driven a lot for a caravan, but we use it for our family business purposes. So having this van fixed would be a lot better then buying another one.
OK, well if not a wheel balance problem then it's highly likely the bushings and/or ball joints are shot and need replacement at this point if they haven't been done recently. Not only will it wear your tires badly, but it could fail completely causing a loss of control.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.