Automotive

2006 Montana SV6 - Head Gasket Blown. Should I...?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2020 8:37 am
[OP]
Nov 9, 2006
402 posts
73 upvotes

2006 Montana SV6 - Head Gasket Blown. Should I...?

180,000km
No Rust
New Tires

I'm waiting for a quote from the garage but...
Should I spend $3k to have it repaired, or put the $3k into another used vehicle. Budget would be up to $10k and would want same cubic space. Maybe a Dodge Caravan?

Also, if I decide to junk it, how would that work?
Would I phone up a junkyard and have them come and tow it from the garage?
Would they pay me any $ for it?
I would also want my tires and rims off of it.
15 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2575 posts
3494 upvotes
Barrie, ON
I would not drop 3k on a 14 year old Montana.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4491 posts
2980 upvotes
Get one of those kijiji backyard mechanics to fix it for 500 plus parts.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13022 posts
7129 upvotes
So.......

Are you waiting for a quote, or do you know it will cost $3k? That seems excessive for a head gasket replacement.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12918 posts
7676 upvotes
Brampton
Gutty96 wrote: So.......

Are you waiting for a quote, or do you know it will cost $3k? That seems excessive for a head gasket replacement.
You ever do a head gasket on a GM60V6? I did 2 LIM jobs on 2 GM60V6 and it was a pain without having the extra overhang of being in a van. This isn't a Head job on a 4 Cyl Honda Civic which anyone could do in like 4 hours with plentiful heads available.

Parts alone are > $600. The LIM gasket kit was ~$300 + bolts. IIRC the upper gasket set by Felpro is ~$500 + bolts and if you're that far down you want to do the waterpump, and thermostat.
It's like a 8-12 hour job + Machine work. you're looking at 480-720 in labour + 200-300 to deck/rebuild the heads.

You gotta factor in time that the exhaust manifold bolts may break in the head and get extracted.

$3k is a bit much. Going rate was like $2400 back then.
I definitely would not spend it on a 14 year old POS GM.

I wouldn't pay someone to fix this thing. I would do it myself it's not hard it's just a solid weekend of work to get it apart and together. I would buy the heads a head of time and just send the old ones back as core. That way you don't need to worry about the exhaust manifold bolts breaking.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3045 posts
886 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
wouldn't it be cheaper to get a junkyard motor and drop that in? I still wouldn't pay that much to have it repaired, but another option to consider.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12918 posts
7676 upvotes
Brampton
bargain man wrote: wouldn't it be cheaper to get a junkyard motor and drop that in? I still wouldn't pay that much to have it repaired, but another option to consider.
Devil you know vs a JY Engine that's ready to throw a rod or spin a bearing. Which is ok if you get a shop to warranty the parts and labour for a year. Then they're absorbing the risk for you.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13022 posts
7129 upvotes
tebore wrote: You ever do a head gasket on a GM60V6? I did 2 LIM jobs on 2 GM60V6 and it was a pain without having the extra overhang of being in a van. This isn't a Head job on a 4 Cyl Honda Civic which anyone could do in like 4 hours with plentiful heads available.

Parts alone are > $600. The LIM gasket kit was ~$300 + bolts. IIRC the upper gasket set by Felpro is ~$500 + bolts and if you're that far down you want to do the waterpump, and thermostat.
It's like a 8-12 hour job + Machine work. you're looking at 480-720 in labour + 200-300 to deck/rebuild the heads.

You gotta factor in time that the exhaust manifold bolts may break in the head and get extracted.

$3k is a bit much. Going rate was like $2400 back then.
I definitely would not spend it on a 14 year old POS GM.

I wouldn't pay someone to fix this thing. I would do it myself it's not hard it's just a solid weekend of work to get it apart and together. I would buy the heads a head of time and just send the old ones back as core. That way you don't need to worry about the exhaust manifold bolts breaking.
A couple many years ago. Don't remember them being that much, but you do make a convincing case.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12918 posts
7676 upvotes
Brampton
Gutty96 wrote: A couple many years ago. Don't remember them being that much, but you do make a convincing case.
Not $3k for sure but the job just gets harder with age in the rust belt so I get padding the price.

I recently had a Toyota 2GR-FE head gasket job and that was in $2k range. And that was definitely not fun makes the 60v6 a walk in the park.
Last edited by tebore on Jul 16th, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13022 posts
7129 upvotes
tebore wrote: Not $3k for sure but the job just gets harder with age in the rust belt so I get padding the price.
True. Very True.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
4491 posts
2980 upvotes
CT did have a head gasket in the bottle on sale this week. Should have dumped a bottle or two in and see what happens. You could fix it temporary or throw out 30 bucks. Worth the gamble?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1170 posts
439 upvotes
Dartmouth
The car isn’t worth 3k. You can buy same or better Montana for 3 k so scrap it sell off whatever parts tires etc you can and buy something else.
[OP]
Nov 9, 2006
402 posts
73 upvotes
WHEW : It was just a heater line in the rear. $160 got it fixed.
Rason I thought it was a gasket is cause I was there last week and I asked him about a small leak in the back. He said it was a gasket leak but should be OK for awhile.
Then 2 days later - niagara fall of a coolant leak so I thought that was it!
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1235 posts
840 upvotes
TDot
ronatola wrote: WHEW : It was just a heater line in the rear. $160 got it fixed.
Rason I thought it was a gasket is cause I was there last week and I asked him about a small leak in the back. He said it was a gasket leak but should be OK for awhile.
Nice! I'd think gasket leak as well on those old GMs.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1565 posts
1324 upvotes
Toronto
ronatola wrote: WHEW : It was just a heater line in the rear. $160 got it fixed.
I wouldn't discount the head as being OK. Once you get a head gasket leak you can get very high back pressure in the coolant lines causing all sorts of hoses and other stuff to fail.
Fix the leak in the back and see how it goes.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10125 posts
980 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like you want to inspect all hoses make sure they are in tip top shape with this hot weather your engine gonna be hotter
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."