[OP]
Sep 1, 2009
316 posts
252 upvotes
gta

2007 Kia Rio- 145k- Recall For Anti Corrosion

Hello ,
I got an email on 8th august 2019 from Kia of Canada

Thank you for contacting Kia Canada Customer Experience Department. We received your email sent July 12, 2019 regarding your vehicle owner information for your 2007 Kia Rio.

Thank you for providing us with your vehicle information.

I have researched your Vehicle Identification Number KNADE1234xxxxxxxxxx and can confirm the following item is currently outstanding and have not been completed on your vehicle.

Specifically:

Ø SC11-B; (JB) ADDITIONAL ANTI-CORROSION

Please call your local Kia Dealer immediately to schedule a service appointment. The time required to repairs will be communicated to you by the Dealer. However, depending on the Dealer’s work schedule, it may be necessary to make your vehicle available for a longer period of time.
This work will be performed at Kia’s expense at no cost to you.

...........So, I called nearest dealership to have my anti corrosion recall covered.

I went there next day, only to find out that they can not do recall because I have a hole in a subframe. I was told they will let Kia know that I would need a subframe replaced and they called me three days ago - which was on 13th August to let me know that my subframe replacement was approved and Kia already sent a part for them to replace it. I can come in anytime to have subframe replaced at a No cost to you. They also told me it would take them few days to have this done and they would give me a loaner.

Now my questions are

1. Considering there is nothing wrong with my car drivability wise - is it advisable to have them open up my car and do this replacement ?

2. It’s 2007 Kia Rio at 143k and running in 10/10 condition - what are the chances they would break my car more in attempt to fix it ?

3. Would they come back and say hey ! We need you to spend money on Knick-knacks that surrounds the subframe ( bushings - mounts , joints and other expensive - non expensive stuff.)

4. I don’t trust people in general, that being said how much I will be able to loose or gain by opening up perfectly working car to fix something and end up breaking it more :(

5. I would like to run this car for another 40-50k before I look for anything else or major maintenance - does subframe replacement would render it useless if things gets broken more in it? ( I am a conscious driver and run synthetic oil and keep my car well maintained for small stuff and do not want major expenses or headache of purchasing another car ATM )

In short, I don’t know anything about subframe replacement and any unknown variables due to it down the road.

Please tell me it is ok to do this OR am I getting a broken car with free subframe in return ?

Be honest, why Kia would replace 12 year old cars subframe for free - what’s in it for them ? Why are they so interested in my recall for anti corrosion and than take a hit for a subframe ( replacement would cost more than actual value of a car,lol! )

I have an appointment in first week of September and it’s only to collect data from your guys so I can make transparent and informed decisions on this.

I am Sorry for my ferengi English and rhetorics,as I tend to elaborate everything to get my point across - please re read or ask questions if you want more information.

*ignore typo because THIS RFDapp does not let me go up select a spell and correct it. It types only one way and that’s it.
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎
11 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
4598 posts
3822 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Get it done. They’re not doing it for good will. A recall is a requirement from the government mandating then to address a safety related issue.

I this case, if you do nothing, the subframe will rust further and will eventually fail. In addition to compromising the crash safety of the vehicle if someone hits you, it will eventually effect your steering or driveline components and may cause a failure there.

On certain vehicles operated in areas of heavy road salt usage (Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland & Labrador), road salt can collect in the rear portion of the side members of the subframe and may result in internal corrosion leading to thinning or perforation of the subframe steel.

The corrosion may ultimately lead to separation of the lower control arm at the forward mounting point to the subframe.

When separation occurs, in most cases, the movement of the arm will cause the axle to pull out of the transaxle and the vehicle will no longer have drive power to the wheels.

In extreme cases, the wheel can also rotate off its designed axis and make contact with the fender or the wheel well.

Both outcomes could result in a loss of vehicle control and a crash causing property damage, personal injury or death.

Correction: Dealers will inspect and, if necessary, replace the front subframe assembly.

Should the subframe not require replacement, drainage holes will be added, as well as treatment with rust-proofing material to arrest the corrosion process.
[OP]
Sep 1, 2009
316 posts
252 upvotes
gta
Thank you ! Booked appointment for first week of September.
“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”-John Galt 😎
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29407 posts
9996 upvotes
The stealer wants to do it because they get paid to--manufacturer pays them to do the work and provides the parts. Whether they do a good job or not is another story. Like you I wouldn't trust them to do it either. Would much rather them give me the replacement subframe and let me take care of it--unfortunately they'd never do that. However if the subframe in your car has a presumably rusted hole in it, then def. get it replaced as it's only going to rust more and get to the potentially unsafe situation mentioned above.
[OP]
Sep 1, 2009
316 posts
252 upvotes
gta
Thanks for the downvotes lol! As if that will change anything ........So, finally got my subframe - engine cradle replaced by Kia.
Ride is much smoother and no crunching grinding noises after anti rust corrosion application.
I am glad service department were really accommodating and the loaner was 2020 Kia Forte was an amazing ride as well.
I like Kia as they are working class cars but safety and luxury balanced.

All in love with forte’s apple car play and audio quality of it as well. I hope my almost new /old Kia lasts a bit longer.

If you have a Kia please make sure all your recalls are covered. Apparently they are doing that to any 07-11 Kia which needs anti corrosion treatment.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2886 posts
1190 upvotes
GTA
ES_Revenge wrote: Whether they do a good job or not is another story. Like you I wouldn't trust them to do it either. Would much rather them give me the replacement subframe and let me take care of it--unfortunately they'd never do that. However if the subframe in your car has a presumably rusted hole in it, then def. get it replaced as it's only going to rust more and get to the potentially unsafe situation mentioned above.
Besides not doing an alignment afterwards, how would they do a bad job installing the subframe?
Would you really pay hundreds of dollars to another shop instead of having the dealer perform the labour for free?
On a 12 year old Kia that's worth almost as much as the parts & labour of the job?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29407 posts
9996 upvotes
Viperoni wrote: Besides not doing an alignment afterwards, how would they do a bad job installing the subframe?
Because "mechanics". Don't trust 'em as far as I can throw them.
Viperoni wrote: Would you really pay hundreds of dollars to another shop instead of having the dealer perform the labour for free?
What other shop? It's called my garage/driveway.
Viperoni wrote: On a 12 year old Kia that's worth almost as much as the parts & labour of the job?
I think you mean worth less than that :lol: It's a Rio!
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1134 posts
637 upvotes
Manitoba
Broke a front coil sping last week and sent an email to Kia Support to check on possible campaign/recall that would be related to that and bingo... I was given the same Anti-corrosion recall.

Too bad I already paid to replace both springs out of pocket but will still go in for the recall work to be done.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3932 posts
3107 upvotes
Ottawa
A friend had their car "repossessed" by the dealer when they took it in for service (not sure if it was an oil change???) because the safety recall wasn't done earlier and the rust made the car unsafe to drive. The dealer paid out $4K for a 2007 CRV last year even though the owner wanted to keep driving it to the ground but they had no choice.

Like other posters had said, if it's a safety recall and you don't get it done, the next time the dealer has the car in their facility they may not release it until the recall is complete.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1339 posts
1036 upvotes
HAMILTON
A dealer cannot " repossess " a car that is fully paid for. They do not have the legal nor statutory right to refuse to release a vehicle. You can call the police for auto theft and the police will come to the dealer. If they determine the vehicle is unsafe, they may take the plates off it BUT the dealer has to release it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5937 posts
2792 upvotes
Toronto
gumby wrote: A friend had their car "repossessed" by the dealer when they took it in for service (not sure if it was an oil change???) because the safety recall wasn't done earlier and the rust made the car unsafe to drive. The dealer paid out $4K for a 2007 CRV last year even though the owner wanted to keep driving it to the ground but they had no choice.

Like other posters had said, if it's a safety recall and you don't get it done, the next time the dealer has the car in their facility they may not release it until the recall is complete.
That kind of sounds like a scam to me. Dealers can't go around unilaterally determining whether or not cars are safe, even ones that they sell. If a car has a valid safety, surely a dealer can't take it off the road any more than you or I can?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1134 posts
637 upvotes
Manitoba
Had the recall/campaign done yesterday. Dealer inspected and determined the components passed and went through with the anti corrosion work. In and out of the dealership in 1 hour.