Automotive

2009 Acura TL - A/C Issues - Any Thoughts?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2016 12:07 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3374 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto

2009 Acura TL - A/C Issues - Any Thoughts?

Over the past year my A/C has been hit or miss..sometimes I can feel the cold air coming fine..and sometimes it will become just the fan...

Acura did a evacuation dye and recharge and found no leak...but I still notice the issue...

Odd is when I am accelerating. ..Its as if the fan kicks in...when I am driving extremely slow or brake or come to a stop... the cold A/C kicks in intermittently..and sometimes goes back to fan air only...

Any ideas where I should look at next ? Apparently Acura checked the fuse as well

I'm lost

2009 TL with 155,000KM
34 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13906 posts
9001 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
A/C compressor is probably going out soon.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9881 posts
9570 upvotes
Markham
Cheapo-Findo wrote: A/C compressor is probably going out soon.
Listen to this man. The compressor is going hit or miss. Change it to make it work again, since you have no leaks.
Mar 15, 2003
760 posts
252 upvotes
toronto
My mazda 3 did that intermittently until it stopped working. Instead of swapping the whole compressor, check if your compressor clutch needs replacing. Thats much cheaper and doesn't need to evacuate the ac.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3374 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
I assume don't do this at Acura..and anyone else could do this?

Any way to really know if its going?

How much is a compressor approx. vs compressor clutch ?
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13906 posts
9001 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Check with the mechanic. Probably can bring this to iGarage in Markham.
wmahmud wrote: I assume don't do this at Acura..and anyone else could do this?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9881 posts
9570 upvotes
Markham
wmahmud wrote: I assume don't do this at Acura..and anyone else could do this?

Don't just replace the clutch, it is cheaper but what if your compressor goes in a year? You going to do this repair again?

The entire compressor kit will cost at least $320 inc shipping and taxes if you buy off Rockauto. Most certainly it will cost more here, maybe $500?

Add in about 2 hours of repair @ $80 an hour = $160

I am guessing swapping out that compressor will cost you around $600. At the dealer it will be more, maybe around $750 to $800.

Edit: at this point you might as well replace the belts, too. And maybe the alternator, lol seriously.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16326 posts
5076 upvotes
London
Check the ac compressor clutch relay first. It's a well known issue.

Swap with one of the others in the fuse box like the horn relay to further diagnose the problem. They are the same.

Heavy duty replacement relays are like $10 from the dealer
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3374 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
Kind of confused ..this is images of fuse box under the hood...what exactly am I swapping?

[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3374 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: Check the ac compressor clutch relay first. It's a well known issue.

Swap with one of the others in the fuse box like the horn relay to further diagnose the problem. They are the same.

Heavy duty replacement relays are like $10 from the dealer
What are they called in the fuse box? I assume under hood box? And not the inside fuse box?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16326 posts
5076 upvotes
London
It's the little black box labelled "Made in Vietnam" beside the green coloured box.. I believe this is already the "upgraded" heavy duty part number. You can try swapping it with one of the "Omron" black boxes, however this likely isn't your problem ( The Omron" relays were grossly under designed and failed early)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3374 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote: It's the little black box labelled "Made in Vietnam" beside the green coloured box.. I believe this is already the "upgraded" heavy duty part number. You can try swapping it with one of the "Omron" black boxes, however this likely isn't your problem ( The Omron" relays were grossly under rated and failed early)
How easily can the dealership tell if the compressor is going bad or the a/c clutch?
May 12, 2008
294 posts
39 upvotes
wmahmud wrote: How easily can the dealership tell if the compressor is going bad or the a/c clutch?
Why are you adamant on going to the dealer to have this work done? I recommend igarage in Markham.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16326 posts
5076 upvotes
London
Don't think igarage does a/c. You can try calling them for a referral or try 360auto

Ac shop will put a gauge set on the compressor to check how well its working
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3374 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
papermate wrote: Why are you adamant on going to the dealer to have this work done? I recommend igarage in Markham.
Im not, but since they did the dye test im making them check it all in the same cost...not paying more

All my other work is done by igarage...ivan doesnt a/c

I'll try another shop...just not sure where the issue is

It's almost as if the compressor is not kicking in consistently...

At acura..i'll post more once i get more detail..
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16326 posts
5076 upvotes
London
The other possibility is a weak a/c clutch. There was a rfd thread here about a month ago. They fix it by readjusting the air gap inside the clutch using spacer washers.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3374 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
Update;

So fuel coil is failing..to do that requires to change the fuel coil and clutch

Because of the job, acura reccomending to do the whole compressor that has all those parts..5 hour job.. $1200

Thoughts ?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35633 posts
21691 upvotes
Center of Universe
wmahmud wrote: Update;

Because of the job, acura reccomending to do the whole compressor that has all those parts..5 hour job.. $1200

Thoughts ?
Go to an indy garage.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
9881 posts
9570 upvotes
Markham
wmahmud wrote: Update;

Thoughts ?
Buy the compressor kit from Rockauto for $350 inc shipping, taxes, and duties. Bring it to an indy garage for install @ less than 5 hours for less $ per hour.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3374 posts
986 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote: Buy the compressor kit from Rockauto for $350 inc shipping, taxes, and duties. Bring it to an indy garage for install @ less than 5 hours for less $ per hour.
The kit says it doesnt include a/c condensor...to add to cart seperately..

Will i need this as well?