• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2018 11:41 am
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario

2009 Nissan Versa SL $4,500 Good Deal?

I'm trying to decide between buying this car or a 2018 Kia Optima LX AT $21,519 incl freight $4,500 discount. Not sure which is the better deal. Of course this one is 10 years old and will not last as long.

This is the top of the line SL version hatch with 130,000 KM on it. Good condition and recently certified. CVT and A/C.

Is this a good deal for a 10 year old car? It's a private sale from a family friend.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
39 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2017
1556 posts
1391 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I'm worried of any high mileage Nissan CVT's.

Test drive it and stuff. I'd probably do 3500-4000. See how much others are selling for in your area.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
3026 posts
1670 upvotes
B.C.
That sounds like a super high price for that Versa.

WHen I was car shopping way back when for a small hatchback car the Versa was priced well under the competition - probably for good reason. It was also one of the cars I test drove and immediately went "no thanks"!
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
If it's fully loaded, it's about a $1000 discount off the retail value according to VMR Canada.

And 130k isn't that high for a CVT in my experience. Our family has a 2008 Altima 2.5S with CVT and it's at 200k. The CVT works flawlessly. It's had the fluid changed once.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
You can lease a 2018 Versa SL for sub $290 a month all included for 36 months. At the end of 3 years and say 60,000kms, the buy back would be $10000.

So, you think $4500 for a 10 year old car a good idea?
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2003
2695 posts
591 upvotes
North York
derass wrote: If it's fully loaded, it's about a $1000 discount off the retail value according to VMR Canada.
Vmr isn't that great IMO prices to high in the gta, look on autotrader for listings of similar year and km, then discount it a further 500-1k- that will get you a real/honest selling price in your market.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
cliff wrote: Vmr isn't that great IMO prices to high in the gta, look on autotrader for listings of similar year and km, then discount it a further 500-1k- that will get you a real/honest selling price in your market.
That's a bit of a blanket statement, but I get what you mean: lots of supply in the GTA means lower prices than elsewhere.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
lennyandcarl wrote: That sounds like a super high price for that Versa.

WHen I was car shopping way back when for a small hatchback car the Versa was priced well under the competition - probably for good reason. It was also one of the cars I test drove and immediately went "no thanks"!
I always come back to people that say this and say, "then show me the better deal"

If you can provide proof, thats great. if you cant, then thats just an opinion

I did a search on Autotrader for the year and kms, and the price is average. Kms are low for the years, 10 years old should have 200K on it

Reviews on that line and year seem to be better than average. Not a head turner car or one that will rip up the streets, but a lot say they are good all around cars for basic transport and roomy for the size
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Jul 11th, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
koffey wrote: You can lease a 2018 Versa SL for sub $290 a month all included for 36 months. At the end of 3 years and say 60,000kms, the buy back would be $10000.

I do, people buy used cars all the time and have good luck. And then on the other hand they buy used cars and have bad luck.

Bought a 2008 Kia Rio last October with 62000 km on it for my son for under 5K last year, I thought it was a great deal. 9 years old, but in great shape and maintained well

Bought a 2002 Sentra 3 years ago for 2K with only 111000 kms on it, original owner. Car was great up until recently with a head gasket issue. But up until then, for $2000, she got three years worth of us
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: I do, people buy used cars all the time and have good luck. And then on the other hand they buy used cars and have bad luck.

Bought a 2008 Kia Rio last October with 62000 km on it for my son for under 5K last year, I thought it was a great deal. 9 years old, but in great shape and maintained well

Bought a 2002 Sentra 3 years ago for 2K with only 111000 kms on it, original owner. Car was great up until recently with a head gasket issue. But up until then, for $2000, she got three years worth of us
Any used car is a gamble. Some people love buying used, others lease, others buy to die. I'm not suggesting to the OP not to do this, however, I'm simply saying that a brand new one you can get for x amount, and within 3 years and 60000kms, it's a 10k buyout. Sub $300 shouldn't be a burden on most people. Some like warranty, others, they like to try and bank as much as possible but when issues appear and every home brew trick can't fix the car, you roll the dice and try and find another cheap gem. Imagine all the nice parts to blow out on these cars and how shocked people are when they find out what it costs to replace/fix it and scream rip off.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
koffey wrote: Any used car is a gamble. Some people love buying used, others lease, others buy to die. I'm not suggesting to the OP not to do this, however, I'm simply saying that a brand new one you can get for x amount, and within 3 years and 60000kms, it's a 10k buyout. Sub $300 shouldn't be a burden on most people. Some like warranty, others, they like to try and bank as much as possible but when issues appear and every home brew trick can't fix the car, you roll the dice and try and find another cheap gem. Imagine all the nice parts to blow out on these cars and how shocked people are when they find out what it costs to replace/fix it and scream rip off.
I would gladly like to see this lease deal, as in the market for something soon. Ive never leased, Ive bought new and used, Ive had good luck, Ive had bad. Although the last 20 years of car buying have been good either way.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9536 posts
3185 upvotes
koffey wrote: You can lease a 2018 Versa SL for sub $290 a month all included for 36 months. At the end of 3 years and say 60,000kms, the buy back would be $10000.

If it last 16 months, and then you junk it for nothing you come out the same If it lasts longer you are ahead. Odds are pretty high of coming out ahead
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: I would gladly like to see this lease deal, as in the market for something soon. Ive never leased, Ive bought new and used, Ive had good luck, Ive had bad. Although the last 20 years of car buying have been good either way.
It's right on their website. You have to keep it in the 36/39 month range to keep the rate at 0% The unbeatable vehicle is the Micra SV at $230/month all in IF you get it at sticker which you should easily get it for less. And the buyout is just a few dollars under $10,000. This of course is Ontario, but I don't see SK being any different. This is all $0 down, etc...
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
koffey wrote: It's right on their website. You have to keep it in the 36/39 month range to keep the rate at 0% The unbeatable vehicle is the Micra SV at $230/month all in IF you get it at sticker which you should easily get it for less. And the buyout is just a few dollars under $10,000. This of course is Ontario, but I don't see SK being any different. This is all $0 down, etc...
So then the car would be $16000 - $17000 if you buy it out at the end

While sure you do get 3 years warranty, and a brand new vehicle, etc. Thats a far cry from $4500. And thats if you buy it out, if not, you basically rented the car for 39 months. Although in that time only maintenance would be oil changes.

Unless I am missing something
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
minimalist wrote: I'm trying to decide between buying this car or a 2018 Kia Optima LX AT $21,519 incl freight $4,500 discount. Not sure which is the better deal. Of course this one is 10 years old and will not last as long.

This is the top of the line SL version hatch with 130,000 KM on it. Good condition and recently certified. CVT and A/C.

Is this a good deal for a 10 year old car? It's a private sale from a family friend.
Well I did some digging, since its been said this is terrible I did a search within 500 km of my location on Auto Trader

3 2009 Versa SL come up, with automatic. $3500 with 273000 km $5790 with 130212 kms $5995 with 139000 kms

The one for $5790 says great price, $369 under market valude. This is at a dealership. Is that all in, no. But you are already $1200 less than market value

Here is the auto trader link for reviews. Average 4.5 Most are on the track of a good car, just not exciting

http://www.autotrader.ca/reviews/nissan/versa/

On a plus side, these have timing chains, not belts.
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Jul 11th, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: So then the car would be $16000 - $17000 if you buy it out at the end

While sure you do get 3 years warranty, and a brand new vehicle, etc. Thats a far cry from $4500. And thats if you buy it out, if not, you basically rented the car for 39 months. Although in that time only maintenance would be oil changes.

Unless I am missing something
Outside of an oil change, you have 5 years warranty on the twist you keep it and if you keep it for even longer, chances are very high that you come out ahead over a 2009 Versa.

Again, OP needs to roll the dice and make their own decision. Do you think it's a good deal? Based on your previous comment, I would think yes. If this was a 2012 subcompact for $6k and say 60000kms on the dash, yeah, maybe.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
zoro69 wrote: If it last 16 months, and then you junk it for nothing you come out the same If it lasts longer you are ahead. Odds are pretty high of coming out ahead
Thats the thing, no crystal ball. Ive sold cars myself that were 10 years plus and still driving on the road years later. Some people actually take care of their cars becaue they want to keep them. Ive had cars for 14 years, 9 years, 11 years, 8 years. Current driver is 6 and will keep it for another 6, or more.

It all depends on how much work you put into looking, and as well to buy a deal when it comes up. I didnt fine a 9 year old car with 60K overnight, but it had slight hail damage, but it was mechanically sound.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
koffey wrote: Outside of an oil change, you have 5 years warranty on the twist you keep it and if you keep it for even longer, chances are very high that you come out ahead over a 2009 Versa.

Again, OP needs to roll the dice and make their own decision. Do you think it's a good deal? Based on your previous comment, I would think yes. If this was a 2012 subcompact for $6k and say 60000kms on the dash, yeah, maybe.
These have 5? I wasnt aware, havent done new vehicle shopping in 6 years.

But you are comparing a Versa vc a Micra. Some people dont even fit into a Micra. Front seat room with both are way different.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15881 posts
10565 upvotes
Toronto
WikkiWikki wrote: These have 5? I wasnt aware, havent done new vehicle shopping in 6 years.

But you are comparing a Versa vc a Micra. Some people dont even fit into a Micra. Front seat room with both are way different.
5 year is powertrain, I'm not referring to bumper to bumper because that's just well, there. Also, I was comparing the versa vs versa. I just said that the best value was leasing the MicraSV and this was to YOU not the OP.

WikkiWikki wrote: I do, people buy used cars all the time and have good luck. And then on the other hand they buy used cars and have bad luck.

koffey wrote: Any used car is a gamble. Some people love buying used, others lease, others buy to die. I'm not suggesting to the OP not to do this, however, I'm simply saying that a brand new one you can get for x amount, and within 3 years and 60000kms, it's a 10k buyout. Sub $300 shouldn't be a burden on most people. Some like warranty, others, they like to try and bank as much as possible but when issues appear and every home brew trick can't fix the car, you roll the dice and try and find another cheap gem. Imagine all the nice parts to blow out on these cars and how shocked people are when they find out what it costs to replace/fix it and scream rip off.
WikkiWikki wrote: I would gladly like to see this lease deal, as in the market for something soon. Ive never leased, Ive bought new and used, Ive had good luck, Ive had bad. Although the last 20 years of car buying have been good either way.
koffey wrote: It's right on their website. You have to keep it in the 36/39 month range to keep the rate at 0% The unbeatable vehicle is the Micra SV at $230/month all in IF you get it at sticker which you should easily get it for less. And the buyout is just a few dollars under $10,000. This of course is Ontario, but I don't see SK being any different. This is all $0 down, etc...
Last edited by koffey on Jul 11th, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DIY difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
koffey wrote: 5 year is powertrain, I'm not referring to bumper to bumper because that's just well, there. Also, I was comparing the versa vs versa. I just said that the best value was leasing the MicraSV and this was to YOU not the OP.
Gotcha. Im new to leasing, since I always but to keep for a long time, it never appealed to me.