Automotive

2010 crv: defective vtc actuator and tsb 09-010 (sept 24 2014)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2019 9:48 am
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2007
2568 posts
1093 upvotes

2010 crv: defective vtc actuator and tsb 09-010 (sept 24 2014)

My car is at 246k or so km. I noticed this 1 or so second grinding noise at cold startup a month ago.

tsb 09-010 (sept 24 2014) seem to fit what I'm experiencing.

what's the chance of honda replacing this as a good will, considering this has been a known problem for a number of Hondas including this:

solved-honda-accord-crv-crosstour-vtc-a ... 2160512/2/

I am hoping to keep my car for another few years as I am not a fan of a car loan.

tsb.jpg
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
They shouldn't replace it as good will toward you. They should replace it without thinking twice period. However, lot of Canadian dealera don't follow tsb from USA.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1879 posts
1407 upvotes
Barrie ON
Seks wrote: My car is at 246k or so km. I noticed this 1 or so second grinding noise at cold startup a month ago.

what's the chance of honda replacing this as a good will, considering this has been a known problem for a number of Hondas including this:
If you purchased an extended warranty that covers you for 9 years and 246K km, then yes, you would be covered by the warranty. But since that is unlikely, then I would say you are out of luck.

I am quoting myself below, so that you can understand what a TSB is and how the repair is free if you are covered under warranty, and you will need to pay if you are not covered by warranty. The last paragraph applies to your situation.

Goodwill repairs are usually only made if the warranty period has just recently expired, and sometimes if you had reported the problem during the warranty period, but it was not repaired at that time.

A TSB is different than a recall which will be free for no matter how old the vehicle is. Recalls are normally only issued for safety related items.
Rick007 wrote: A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin.

If a car model should develop a squeaky seat (for example), the technician might try many things before he discovers the actual cause. For example he might hit the sliding track with a hammer, then send the owner home . When the owner comes back the mechanic tries to grease the track and he sends the owner home. When the owner comes back the third time the mechanic just replaces the seat and sends the owner home. When the owner doesn't come back, the company realizes the problem is with a part internal to the seat.

Think of this similar process going on at every dealership in the country. Think of all the lost hours spent on performing warranty repairs for free.

Once a manufacturer becomes aware of a widespread problem like this they issue a TSB. The TSB simply lists the models and build dates of the cars that might have this problem, and instructs the mechanic that to save time he should just replace the seat on the first customer visit. So to summarize, a TSB is just a set of instructions on how to repair a commonly occurring problem.

Another misconception is that if a TSB is issued on you model of car, you are entitled to have it performed for free. This is not the case, a dealership will not replace your seat for free unless you are experiencing the squeak.

Another misconception is that when someone develops a squeaky seat 10 years after purchase (long after the warranty has expired) they expect to get it repaired for free since there was TSB issued on the problem. Components on the car are repaired for free only during the warranty period. If your seat didn't squeak for 10 years, then it survived the warranty period and is no longer covered by free repairs. On the other hand if you are aware of a TSB describing your problem, then you should bring it to the dealer so that he can repair the problem on the first visit rather than taking three visits, and lots of your money, to get it repaired.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4226 posts
3152 upvotes
Markham
Seks wrote: My car is at 246k or so km. I noticed this 1 or so second grinding noise at cold startup a month ago.

solved-honda-accord-crv-crosstour-vtc-a ... 2160512/2/

I am hoping to keep my car for another few years as I am not a fan of a car loan.

tsb.jpg
At 246k and 9 y/o of which 6 have been outside warranty period, I’d say you have better chances of getting a 6 digit lottery win or getting hit by lightning.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
I had mine replaced under the eight-year extended warranty. They were able to reproduce the grind. Heck, my wife never paid any attention and I only realized it when during two January's ago, there was some grinding noise.

At first, the dealership didn't want to but they realized based on the TSB it was a quick fix and could parlay it into a win-win situation. :)

Will it really immobilize VTEC, when broken?