• Jul 22nd, 2016 4:58 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2907 posts
2135 upvotes
Calgary
OP your car is fine given the roads you drive in. Your major concern should be the rocker panels and the rear fenders. Don't worry about this too much. Remember A 'mechanic' told you this..not a body guy!
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3260 posts
909 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
mebiuspower wrote: I spoke to a Mazda mechanic, he said the rust issue on new Mazda is not fixed.

Sell it is the only thing you can do.
Depends where it's made. Made in Japan, yes. Made in Mexico, no.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14471 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Not only will your car rust like this by next year. It will change into this Grand Am body shape. The plus is you will enjoy better fuel mileage with the weight savings.

May 23, 2015
437 posts
1161 upvotes
Ontario
Rust is like cancer to cars. No matter what you do it will come back once it starts.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1360 posts
692 upvotes
Scarborough
This is not really the rust issue everyone on RFD is crying about. What people are referring to is the rusty body 04-09 Mazda3s suffered. 2010+ have not had the same issue.

Like others have said, your underbody is fairly normal along with most compact cars in the market. Rust proofing would of helped.
-
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
8488 posts
1291 upvotes
Brampton
Underbody rust is normal. What you posted might be a bit high but it's a 6 year old car already.

Rust proofing would help especially on the Mazda 3 but notsure if it's too late to start to make any difference.
Jan 2, 2007
933 posts
48 upvotes
Wow your car is rusting exactly the same spots that my car is rusting too...mine is a 2005 mazda 3 same color. I need to do something before it looks like that.
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: start the countdown...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9925 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
cartfan123 wrote: Not only will your car rust like this by next year. It will change into this Grand Am body shape. The plus is you will enjoy better fuel mileage with the weight savings.

Looks like a Michigan plate on that car. Not surprised.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4869 posts
2743 upvotes
Quebec
loll at rust at the bottom...

same for people that complain about rust on their, brake rotor.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15496 posts
2735 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
Just let it happen, your car body is ready.

Do you get rust proofing done? Maybe krown under body spray will help a bit, but if it's like the pic OP posted, looks just like regular wear/tear surface rust.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2007
15496 posts
2735 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
lazymonkeygod wrote: Wow your car is rusting exactly the same spots that my car is rusting too...mine is a 2005 mazda 3 same color. I need to do something before it looks like that.
Nothing you can do, if you try to just spot repair it, it will just come back out.

If you're willing to spend the money, get a shop to cut out and remove all the rusted metal and have new metal repair panels welded in and it will probably last several years.

I have a neighbor who has that generation of Mazda 3 hatch, quarter panels started rotting out, had it repaired, the next year the rust came back lol. They got rid of it the year after rust came back.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
lazymonkeygod wrote: Wow your car is rusting exactly the same spots that my car is rusting too...mine is a 2005 mazda 3 same color. I need to do something before it looks like that.
That's not my car :lol:
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3952 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
-----------
Last edited by drz400 on Jul 25th, 2022 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
CoolDudeClan wrote: I have a strong feeling OP doesn't understand ALL cars rust on the bottom in places with salt.
No way dude! I thought metals don't rust, only wood! Wish I was as smart as you :(
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2005
6565 posts
2095 upvotes
CoolDudeClan wrote: I have a strong feeling OP doesn't understand ALL cars rust on the bottom in places with salt.
Not all cars.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3952 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
-----------
Last edited by drz400 on Jul 25th, 2022 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12400 posts
4936 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote: Underbody rust is fine, all cars will. If any of the panels are you have a bigger problem.
+1

I owned 3 Mazda in the past, all of them rusted, but only after 7 or 8 years. (I rustproof the last year yearly or every 2 years, hand wash in summer and gas station wash in winter)

First one at the bottom of the door and at the trunk
Second one at the bottom of the door again.
Last one at the body panel between the driver and rear passenger door.

I have no complains, it's been 7-8 years and they still look a lot better than other Mazdas like others just posted.

I sold all 3 of them privately and buyer bought it still. They know they are buying a 7-9 years old Mazda, which body rust is normal.

If OP just see the rust underneath, there is nothing to worry about, it is already 6 years old anyway.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4664 upvotes
Montreal
It's not his car since he doesn't have one. And you do realize that pic is photoshopped quite a bit?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2750 upvotes
ON
Mazdas 'bleeding from all orificies' was the bad rust (like in earlier pic).
Underside will naturally have a bit of rust, even if you spray it (that's why you need to reapply, it doesn't stick around forever)
It's just cosmetic. Nothing to worry about.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)