2011 BMW Alpina B7 Candian Car with engine codes

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2020 6:15 pm
[OP]
Jul 27, 2020
1 posts
1 upvote

2011 BMW Alpina B7 Candian Car with engine codes

I'm in the USA and I bought this previous Canadian car at auction not realizing it was in metrics and not American/English measurements. It has several engine codes on when it was scan by my mechanic the codes are in Canandian/Metrics. Does anyone know where I can look up the codes it threw and covert it to our standard English/American codes so that we can repair it and try to sell it? Also, is there easy way to switch the gauges out of kilometers into mph? Thanks
3 replies
Aug 8, 2004
593 posts
359 upvotes
Ottawa
LisaR59055 wrote: I'm in the USA and I bought this previous Canadian car at auction not realizing it was in metrics and not American/English measurements. It has several engine codes on when it was scan by my mechanic the codes are in Canandian/Metrics. Does anyone know where I can look up the codes it threw and covert it to our standard English/American codes so that we can repair it and try to sell it? Also, is there easy way to switch the gauges out of kilometers into mph? Thanks
You should be able to change this in iDrive.

My vehicle —-> iDrive settings ——-> Units ——> Distance ——> mph or km/h

If the speedometer is digital, it’ll change to mph.

If it’s not digital, unfortunately you’re stuck unless you’re willing to buy a used American cluster and have someone code your VIN into it.

It’s weird because the American version of the B7 has both mph and km/h on the cluster but the Canadian version just has km/h.

I’ve never heard of Canadian engine codes and American codes being different. Codes are the same in both countries. The measurements might be different but that takes a second to convert with google so no big deal of any kind..

Might be worth finding a new mechanic that specializes in bmws. Their software won’t have any issues reading your codes and they’ll be experienced enough to understand what to do next.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
4026 posts
4162 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
It just might list the mileage/date of when it occurred in km/CAD date format but I believe the error codes should be identical as they're generic.

Like other poster said re gauges.
Aug 8, 2004
593 posts
359 upvotes
Ottawa
Just thought of a great solution IF your car doesn’t have a digital speedometer.

There’s an option to display your current speed in the digital display area.

To do this, it needs to be coded with professional software but the option definitely exists.

If ever you wanted to do it yourself, there’s an app called Carly on the Apple/Google Play store that can do it.

Along with the app, you’ll need an adapter that plugs into your OBD port.

They sell one that’s guaranteed to be compatible for $79 on their website mycarly.com.

If you’d rather someone else do it, type in google your city name + BMW coding. Unless you’re in a small town, there’s someone who can get it done.

The option is called “digital speedometer”.

Here's the area where the speed will be digitally displayed in miles per hour
53B14031-CBA4-4B44-9F2A-B7764EE3EC9C.jpeg
9CA1BAAD-3F77-4CC0-BC56-5F3D6ED01D38.jpeg