Automotive

2011 Lexus ES 350 112K+ km and two owners, yea or nay??

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2017 3:30 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6864 posts
3382 upvotes
Debtario

2011 Lexus ES 350 112K+ km and two owners, yea or nay??

I recently happened upon a ES 350, nice V6 and looks to be in amazing shape from the pics, price is about average for the trim and mileage ($14K), but it has 2 owners and zero service history through carproof. I'm going to go see the car sometime this week and hopefully be able to bring a car friend to give it a look over, but I just have some questions:

Is this still a decent car for the mileage? I went on the lexus forum and can't really find any major issues like I did with some of the previous cars I was looking at. Only complaints I could find was that it looks dated and there is no nav/safety tech which I don't care for anyway.

Anything to look out for on these cars? expected maintenance, expected wear/tear areas?

Will it cost a small fortune to maintain/service because it's a "luxury" brand even though it's just a dressed up camry?

Looks like the first owner kept it for a good 5 years but the last owner only had it for 5 months before it showed up as a dealer listing in the GTA - should that worry me? I'm thinking/hoping the last owner hated it for the low/no tech or perhaps the gas guzzling V6 in toronto driving.

I plan on keeping it for a while, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking maybe just get a new civic, corolla, or increase the budge and go rav4... but this is a comfy ride and I can't seem to get over my attachment to the V6. Really liked my friend's 2010(?) camry, expecting this to feel even better.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
2062 posts
1015 upvotes
VANCOUVER
You don't have to bring it to the actual Lexus dealership for maintenance. You can have a Toyota one do the work for slightly less cost. Or take it to an Indy. If the 2 previous owners serviced it via Lexus or Toyota then they'll have a record of it in their computer since they're linked perhaps call up Lexus and ask for a service history.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
6864 posts
3382 upvotes
Debtario
ellesdad wrote: take that one for a test drive, but make sure to check a couple others too before you decide... like this one with 90k kms for $500 less
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Lexus/ES/Bur ... rup=1_15_1
I saw that on kijiji, considering making the trip over there but don't trust the dealer and expect additional fees - "All vehicle's can be Certified for an additional $595+hst,if not Certified then as per OMVIC Regulations the vehicle is deemed to be not drivable, and not certified" sounds like BS.
DDHLeigh wrote: You don't have to bring it to the actual Lexus dealership for maintenance. You can have a Toyota one do the work for slightly less cost. Or take it to an Indy. If the 2 previous owners serviced it via Lexus or Toyota then they'll have a record of it in their computer since they're linked perhaps call up Lexus and ask for a service history.
Ah yes thank you. I called my local toyota dealership and they said service would be a "little more" than for toyota, except for parts. Going to go ask for vehicle history since I can't pull it up online through the lexus owner's site. I assume lexus doesn't share their records with carproof? I noticed a few lexus cars would show nothing, GM on the other hand seems to divulge everything (or perhaps they needs service that often lol)
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15363 posts
9894 upvotes
Toronto
M1K3Z0R wrote: I saw that on kijiji, considering making the trip over there but don't trust the dealer and expect additional fees - "All vehicle's can be Certified for an additional $595+hst,if not Certified then as per OMVIC Regulations the vehicle is deemed to be not drivable, and not certified" sounds like BS.

Ah yes thank you. I called my local toyota dealership and they said service would be a "little more" than for toyota, except for parts. Going to go ask for vehicle history since I can't pull it up online through the lexus owner's site. I assume lexus doesn't share their records with carproof? I noticed a few lexus cars would show nothing, GM on the other hand seems to divulge everything (or perhaps they needs service that often lol)
Try carfax as well. Strange that it would be blank since it isn't carproof that is the data holder, it would be MOT which is a partner.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
1251 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The Lexus ES is a good used car choice. The 2011 is among the last of the 5th generation and had all the earlier bugs worked out with the 3.5L engine.

Mechanicals are identical to the V6 Camry, and so should the maintenance and fuel economy. What gets expensive on these are proprietary Lexus parts, such as the body and interior bits.

The 5 month gap as the second owner can merely be someone trading it in at a dealer, or it passing hands through lots. Don't let that fool you, as long as the pre-purchase inspection checks out and there was no past collision damages, you should be safe.
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
Oct 31, 2007
310 posts
161 upvotes
Winnipeg
I drove my friend's 2010 ES 350 and it's a nice comfy ride, though the interior is definitely a bit on the dated side and it's not a "true" Lexus, as you have mentioned that it shares the same platform as the Camry. If the car fits the budget and the pre-purchase inspection checks out, I would go for it.