Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 6, 2014
27 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

2013 Accord or 2013 Passat

Debating buying a 2013 Honda Accord Touring (4 cylinder) or a 2013 VW Passat (2.5L)

The Accord comes with all the features like navigation, leather seats, sun roof, lane assist but costs about $5500 more. The Accord also has about 25,000 more KM on it.

Anyone have any thoughts on either vehicle?
18 replies
Sep 5, 2014
66 posts
12 upvotes
Vancouver, BC / Wate…
The 2.5 is basically VW's only reliable engine.
The New Passat has pretty garbage handling, interior, and tech though.
I'd definitely go with the Honda.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1188 posts
528 upvotes
Accord. More reliable and cheaper to maintain if something goes wrong.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2336 posts
1471 upvotes
rsang39 wrote: Accord. More reliable and cheaper to maintain if something goes wrong.
+1.

I previously had a 2013 Accord which I bought brand new. It was a solid car. I did not have any issues with it.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2997 posts
1536 upvotes
AB
As pointed out the Passat 2.5L is likely to be very reliable. 2013 Accords had CVT transmission issues when they first came out. If you end up going for the Honda make sure you check that out. Otherwise pick one you like driving better. Accord is $5500 more. If you get the Passat I really doubt you would spend anywhere near that much over and above Accord in terms of "maintaining" it.
[OP]
Sep 6, 2014
27 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
So 2 pro Passat and 3 Pro Accords.

The Accord is definitely the nicer car with better features (nav, sunroof, rear heated seats) but at $5500 more I wonder if it is worth it. The Accord has about 20,000 left on the warrant and 40,000 km on the Powertrain. Meanwhile the VW comes with a lifetime Powertrain warranty and free car washes if I do my service at the dealership which seems like a very good deal.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9866 posts
1813 upvotes
Montreal, QC
A VW dealership rate is likely higher than a Honda dealership rate (if you're ever planning on servicing these there that is) so keep that in mind. You can just call your local dealer and ask what their labour rate is.
Mar 2, 2015
804 posts
161 upvotes
Edmonton
Honda Accord all the way. Its fuel efficent and reliable. Also think its best looking car in its class
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
1274 posts
258 upvotes
North Vancouver
ryan151 wrote: So 2 pro Passat and 3 Pro Accords.

The Accord is definitely the nicer car with better features (nav, sunroof, rear heated seats) but at $5500 more I wonder if it is worth it. The Accord has about 20,000 left on the warrant and 40,000 km on the Powertrain. Meanwhile the VW comes with a lifetime Powertrain warranty and free car washes if I do my service at the dealership which seems like a very good deal.
I wouldn't base my purchase on a free car wash service. My parent's Honda dealer gives them a free car wash with just an oil change.

I like the look of the Accord, but not its transmission. CVT just doesn't cut it for me. Lifetime powertrain warranty is nice to have. I would go for Passat. If you want sunroof or nav, you could find one that has those. It seems like the Passat you're looking at is barebones.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8628 upvotes
GTHA
DJ_Peanuts22 wrote: Passat for German engineering
This vehicle was developed by Shanghai Volkswagen Automotive and Volkswagen Passenger Cars, and built at Volkswagen assembly plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee. :lol:
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
19864 posts
8179 upvotes
Toronto
Accord all the way. VW is too shady.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4397 posts
802 upvotes
accord, we have a trouble free accord 2015 so im biased
Dec 29, 2008
60 posts
9 upvotes
I'm sort of in the same boat, but I'm torn between the accord and 2014+ Mazda 6. i have a 98 accord that has been bulletproof but is getting a bit tired (295k) and was about 95% sure to go for a 9th gen accord again. but after some research, i really think i might go for the Mazda 6. my accord is a 4cyl and i was looking for the v6 coupe accord for a bit more power on my daily commute, but i like the look of the 6 better, inside and out. only strike (for me) is they are 4cyl only, but it seems to be a well-liked engine. in the end, it'll likely be the first one i can find (used) to match my budget and want-list. if the Mazda had a v6 (or the long rumored diesel), it would be no contest for me.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/201 ... ive-review

http://driving.ca/mazda/mazda6-mazda/re ... azda6-gs-4

http://www.autogo.ca/en/articles/33589/ ... estimated/

i have owned/driven vw products (jetta/vanagon/scirocco/golf) and while i like them generally, i'm not willing to own one that is out of warranty.
[OP]
Sep 6, 2014
27 posts
5 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
bomiheko wrote: I wouldn't base my purchase on a free car wash service. My parent's Honda dealer gives them a free car wash with just an oil change.

I like the look of the Accord, but not its transmission. CVT just doesn't cut it for me. Lifetime powertrain warranty is nice to have. I would go for Passat. If you want sunroof or nav, you could find one that has those. It seems like the Passat you're looking at is barebones.
Well it would be free car washes 24/7 and with the liftime powertrain warranty it seems like a very big incentive. The sunroof is nice to have but I don't really need navigation or anything like that. If the prices were withing $2000 I think I'd go with the Accord but $5000 is a lot.

Right now I'm 50-50.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2008
4540 posts
2288 upvotes
I think you have a tough call to make. The Accord costs more, has more options and feels more premium, but more kms driven. The Passat has lifetime warranty and car washes.

I would probably pick the Accord though.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
12638 posts
4247 upvotes
Ontario
I would probably go with the Passat, but I would drive both cars first & then decide. As others have said the 2.5L engine is very reliable. If you are worried about repairs (which would not be much more, this is not 30 years ago when it was very expensive to fix) You could always buy extra warranty with the money you save.

But best thing is to drive them both and see which one feels better for you then the other options/features you can compare after.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1484 upvotes
Pickering
I drove a 2013 Passat for one week. In comparison to my A6, the back seat was surprisingly big. When it comes to German cars, you get them or you don't. If you do, you couldn't turn down the Passat. My beef? Engine power of the 2.5. I had to have it floored to merge with freeway traffic. Yes, I said freeway because I was in California. You had to merge, cut across three lanes and exit immediately. The car had me hoping and praying at some points on my trip.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)