• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2012 1:32 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42480 posts
6784 upvotes
SPACEMANRICK wrote: If anyone is interested, here is a comparison of the 2012 S4 and 2012 335I from Motor Trend. The S4 did a 0 to 60 run in 4.4 seconds which is as fast as a 2012 M3 :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr3YrHMu ... r_embedded
Saw it. Ya I am not surprised heh. The S4 is quiet the beast, maybe you should compare the S4 with the M3 :D ? Jks jks. I think the S5 is a competitor for the M3. Too bad no more RS4 :(
Blanka
Deal Addict
May 4, 2004
2507 posts
21 upvotes
spike1128 wrote: I see somebody has good taste in cars. S4 is a good buy, but somebody keep saying VWAG cars are POS. I like the S4 as well, oversteer on an AWD car is nice. :)
Thanks, I love it.

I put the troll on my ignore list cause he's just a waste of time.

I love VAG vehicles. Yes maybe not as reliable, but then there are problems with every car.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
26669 posts
3572 upvotes
Montreal
SPACEMANRICK wrote: It is a fine balancing act because I want to have room to carry the family and the kids and their friends around but I also don't want to drive and park too big a vehicle around. We have the Acura MDX when we have to carry 7 people around. The Lexus is 190" long, the Audi is 185" long, and the BMW is 182" long.
The Lexus has the lowest turning radius. It will probably be the easiest to park even though it's longer. Trust me. I had a Sentra SE-R with a 39 foot turning radius that was a ***** to park. My current car (IS250) has a 33 foot turning radius and is much easier to park even though it's 4inches longer.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2011
42480 posts
6784 upvotes
gizmo8 wrote: Audi had over 300 changes in the Quattro system since 2001 and they were one of the first who used LED for the lighting systems,how can you say Quattro have zero advantage?...all road test in wet and snowy conditions Quattro systems is considered the best of all manufacturers,even Subaru admits their only really competition in the AWD segment is Audi.
Very true and not to mention that other car manufactures are copying the LED DLRs into their vehicles including American makes such as Chrysler. Also the Quattro vehicles are put into stringent tests in snow, sand, rain, wind, etc when being manufactured.
Blanka
[OP]
Mar 14, 2006
951 posts
355 upvotes
Coquitlam
Thanks for the help everyone!

I ended up ordering a 2013 BMW 335XI yesterday, it should be here at the beginning of October. My last 4 cars have all been manual transmission but this time I am going for the 8 speed automatic with paddle shifters. I think the key deciding issues were that the 335XI was a little bigger in the back seat than the S4, also the BMW will be around in this current style for 5 or 6 more years while the S4 will be redesigned in 2 or 3 years,and finally my BMW dealer seemed more willing to negotiate price than the Audi dealers here in Vancouver.
Jun 4, 2012
200 posts
4 upvotes
Hong Kong
335xi with a JB chip.......... PWNd S4 like no tmr.
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
4373 posts
781 upvotes
SPACEMANRICK wrote: Thanks for the help everyone!

I ended up ordering a 2013 BMW 335XI yesterday, it should be here at the beginning of October. My last 4 cars have all been manual transmission but this time I am going for the 8 speed automatic with paddle shifters. I think the key deciding issues were that the 335XI was a little bigger in the back seat than the S4, also the BMW will be around in this current style for 5 or 6 more years while the S4 will be redesigned in 2 or 3 years,and finally my BMW dealer seemed more willing to negotiate price than the Audi dealers here in Vancouver.
yes one of the deal breaker for us order q5 or x3 was that audi simply dopesnt give discount, 3% off MSRP and gtfo or 6-8% off MSRP + more freebies from bimmer?
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2570 posts
142 upvotes
wouldn't mind to see pictures when it arrives.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
563 upvotes
gizmo8 wrote: Audi had over 300 changes in the Quattro system since 2001 and they were one of the first who used LED for the lighting systems,how can you say Quattro have zero advantage?...all road test in wet and snowy conditions Quattro systems is considered the best of all manufacturers,even Subaru admits their only really competition in the AWD segment is Audi.
Point is, Audi is nowhere near the leader in AWD anymore. Nobody looks at them as performance leader in AWD or references them. But doesn't make them bad, just nothing special since others have caught up and superceeded them.

name one source that say any quattro system is better in any meaningful way than say S-AWC, SH-AWD and of course ATTESA E-TS Pro which is just on another stratosphere for performance.

don't be close minded, look around and see how far audi has fallen behind, 300 changes? they needed 600 to keep up lol
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2006
1203 posts
59 upvotes
Woodbridge
gilboman wrote: Point is, Audi is nowhere near the leader in AWD anymore. Nobody looks at them as performance leader in AWD or references them. But doesn't make them bad, just nothing special since others have caught up and superceeded them.

name one source that say any quattro system is better in any meaningful way than say S-AWC, SH-AWD and of course ATTESA E-TS Pro which is just on another stratosphere for performance.

don't be close minded, look around and see how far audi has fallen behind, 300 changes? they needed 600 to keep up lol
The only AWD system of note you mentioned here is S-AWC and even still.......... S-AWC is similar to ATTESA E-TS Pro but Nissan dumped the active front and rear diffs in favour of an front and rear HLSD and the old mechanical diffs in the R35 (ATTESA E-TS, active torque management front to rear but not side to side) out performs the active system found in earlier model GT-Rs with ATTESA E-TS PRO. SH-AWD found most cars, with the exception of the Acura RL, is part time 4 wheel drive and most people that know anything about AWD know that it is mostly a gimmick. Also, fwiw the Audi S4 quattro system the optional rear "sport differential" which is a torque vectoring, electronically controlled diff.

It seems the current best AWD systems, for all out grip or sports application, use an active electronically controlled center diff and two limited slip mehanical front and rear diffs. See Nissan R35 GT-R and Subaru STI..
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2006
1203 posts
59 upvotes
Woodbridge
rileywai wrote: 335xi with a JB chip.......... PWNd S4 like no tmr.
What happens if the S4 gets chipped?

Also, you only get decent gains on previous model to the 2011 335XI model. All the new ones come with the N55 engine which is the single turbo model and it is not as potent as the old twin turbo N54 model.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3699 posts
892 upvotes
GTA
camber wrote: What happens if the S4 gets chipped?

Also, you only get decent gains on previous model to the 2011 335XI model. All the new ones come with the N55 engine which is the single turbo model and it is not as potent as the old twin turbo N54 model.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the older engine was not twin turbo, it was "twin power" or something like that.
Banned
Jun 30, 2012
513 posts
21 upvotes
S4 no doubt about it. I can assure you that you will not regret if you choose s4.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2010
2959 posts
137 upvotes
This actually a tough choice because I personally think AWD is not necessary for Canadian winters (especially the last one we had, what a joke).

Anyhow,

If you're young and you like modding your car, I would recommend the 335XI. Slap on a meth kit, tune, downpipes, racing exhaust, DCI, FMIC = yeaaaaaaaaaa!

Otherwise, get the S4.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2777 posts
1303 upvotes
Calgary
The_Professor wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong, but the older engine was not twin turbo, it was "twin power" or something like that.
That's incorrect. The current engine is the twin power turbo with one turbo. Older 335s have 2 turbos. For about 800 bux on those cars you have 380hp and 420tq.

It's interesting to see that majority of people suggested the S4 yet the guy spending the money went with a 335. I don't think there is much difference in interiors with the new cars. Audi used to be a leader in this segment but others are catching up. You have to spend some time with both to properly judge fit and finish quality.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4317 upvotes
Rainne wrote: This actually a tough choice because I personally think AWD is not necessary for Canadian winters (especially the last one we had, what a joke).

Anyhow,

If you're young and you like modding your car, I would recommend the 335XI. Slap on a meth kit, tune, downpipes, racing exhaust, DCI, FMIC = yeaaaaaaaaaa!

Otherwise, get the S4.
There are a lot of young guys that drive S4's that like modding their cars too.

I saw a guy with a A4 modded exactly to look like an S4. The only dead giveaway was the single outlet exhaust on one side.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
3699 posts
892 upvotes
GTA
aleks wrote: That's incorrect. The current engine is the twin power turbo with one turbo. Older 335s have 2 turbos. For about 800 bux on those cars you have 380hp and 420tq.

It's interesting to see that majority of people suggested the S4 yet the guy spending the money went with a 335. I don't think there is much difference in interiors with the new cars. Audi used to be a leader in this segment but others are catching up. You have to spend some time with both to properly judge fit and finish quality.
Thanks, didn't know that. Do you know what model year the change was made? Did this apply to all BMW's with the engine (I ask because my in laws have a 335 and 535).
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2002
1738 posts
143 upvotes
North
Rainne wrote: This actually a tough choice because I personally think AWD is not necessary for Canadian winters (especially the last one we had, what a joke).

Anyhow,

Otherwise, get the S4.
And a BMW or an Audi w/ or w/o modification is necessary :rolleyes:
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2006
1203 posts
59 upvotes
Woodbridge
The N54 was twin turbo or the older engine.

The new N55 uses a single twinscroll turbocharger and has way less power potential then the older unit.