Automotive

2013 Elantra: Check engine light code P0456 (very small leak) keeps coming at exactly 1/2 fuel level mark

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2021 12:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2006
2350 posts
209 upvotes

2013 Elantra: Check engine light code P0456 (very small leak) keeps coming at exactly 1/2 fuel level mark

I have a 2013 Elantra GT and since last summer I keep getting the P0456 check engine light exactly at the 1/2 fuel level mark. The code only comes at this mark and that's what confuses me as to what it could be?

I have replaced the fuel cap with a Hyundai original one but that didn't fix the issue.

I am aware that I would need to take it in for a smoke/leak test for an accurate diagnosis, but wanted to get some thoughts in case anyone has experienced something similar.
IMG_2199.JPG
6 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2006
2350 posts
209 upvotes
fordmaple wrote: https://www.hyundai-forums.com/threads/ ... ve.645787/

I would guess likely your canister control/purge valve needs to be replaced if in fact your gas cap is good an seating well against the the fuel filler tube.

https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyun ... 456-14753/

https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/hyun ... 0456-4747/
Thanks! Will have that looked at shortly.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12906 posts
7652 upvotes
Brampton
It's likely the solenoid for the charcoal canister.

If you're handy you can test the solenoids and replace just the solenoid instead of the whole canister.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2227 posts
1753 upvotes
Try blowing out the EVAP canister valve/tube before anything else (you'll need to reset ECU). Spiders are attracted to the smell of gas and can find their way there to make a home clogging it up.

This happened to my Subaru a few years ago. When I told Subaru to do this (since it was under warranty and I'm lazy), the tech kinda laughed at me. I told him to give it a try first before ordering parts and he was thoroughly surprised when that was the cause.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 4, 2006
2350 posts
209 upvotes
tebore wrote: It's likely the solenoid for the charcoal canister.

If you're handy you can test the solenoids and replace just the solenoid instead of the whole canister.
I am fairly handy but this is a bit out of my comfort and skill level :) Thanks for the reco! Will have my mechanic check it out
eclone wrote: Try blowing out the EVAP canister valve/tube before anything else (you'll need to reset ECU). Spiders are attracted to the smell of gas and can find their way there to make a home clogging it up.

This happened to my Subaru a few years ago. When I told Subaru to do this (since it was under warranty and I'm lazy), the tech kinda laughed at me. I told him to give it a try first before ordering parts and he was thoroughly surprised when that was the cause.
Great suggestion, thanks! Will mention it to my mechanic (not a dealership)

Just curious, why would this only happen exactly at the 1/2 fuel level mark. Literally every time
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12906 posts
7652 upvotes
Brampton
tapanpatel88 wrote: I am fairly handy but this is a bit out of my comfort and skill level :) Thanks for the reco! Will have my mechanic check it out



Great suggestion, thanks! Will mention it to my mechanic (not a dealership)

Just curious, why would this only happen exactly at the 1/2 fuel level mark. Literally every time
It's likely not pressurizing or building enough vacuum which can happen with a small leak at >1/2 tank you'll have higher pressure/vacuum vs when lower. There could also be something in the design of the tank sender unit that acts up when it's not submerged.
Only way to be sure is to get a scanner hooked up an see what's out of whack and take it from there.

Top