2013 Ford Mustang (base model) - for people who have purchased one recently

• Last Updated:
  • May 11th, 2012 10:14 am
Nov 13, 2011
98 posts
59 upvotes

2013 Ford Mustang (base model) - for people who have purchased one recently

Hello.

I've decided to have my midlife crisis early and have decided on a Mustang (I know car guys including myself are highly opinionated around cars, so please keep the "you should have went with car X instead" to a minimum). The purpose of this thread is to get some info as to how cheap some car dealerships will go.

I've received the "best price" from a few dealers locally, and I'm just curious what other people have got this specific car for. This way I know if there is more room to budge or not.

Thanks!
32 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
Actually I want you guys to give me the price you purchase at. I am in a little midlife crisis myself.
Feb 14, 2008
322 posts
155 upvotes
Scarborough
I have had great experiences with Freeway Ford, and they have always gave me the best price. If you are locaed in the GTA, you may want to give them a call.

Good luck with your mid-life crisis.... I went through it a couple of times myself, and foresee a couple more. :)
Nov 13, 2011
98 posts
59 upvotes
Hello. I am from BC canada, so that really wouldn't be too much of an option. But I thank you for the advice.

My goal is if someone says "hey, I just bought mine for 21,999 and they gave me an extra 2 years of warranty" or something like that. I know exactly what I can do when approaching my local dealer.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
964 upvotes
Sorry I have no idea.

But very cool car, even the base v6 - that makes over 300hp, its really nice. Post a pic when you get one...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2003
6363 posts
330 upvotes
Toronto
I also have nothing valuable to add to this thread aside from the fact that I am going through my quarter life crisis, getting married in August, and feel like life was over, and was thinking of buying an elantra, but now have changed and am likely to buy a gen coupe sometime this week lol

Live it up and enjoy your mustang :)
YOLO! haha
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
6023 posts
1869 upvotes
I will avoid the "go buy this care" instead talk but I implore you please just don't buy the base model Mustang. I can respect the Boss 302 or the GT Coupe, anything else...ugh
Deal Fanatic
Mar 24, 2004
8683 posts
573 upvotes
Toronto
Go buy a CCC report and aim for 2.5% above invoice. But I've been hearing that Mustangs are selling really well; so you might have an issue there.

It's impressive the V6 puts out over 300hp but I'd grab the V8 just for the exhaust note :D
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2009
3345 posts
1680 upvotes
Lethbridge
KevC wrote: I've been hearing that Mustangs are selling really well; so you might have an issue there.
They are here at least. I wasn’t really serious about buying the one I test drove (we just went to check out the 302 they had on the lot while killing time on a Friday night a couple weeks ago).

While driving & making small-talk with the salesguy, he asked what it would take to get me into it – I half-jokingly told him the premium package, grabber blue & 2-3% over their invoice. I was basically told that probably wouldn’t happen, with how well they were selling atm.

I’m not sure if that would have changed had pushed the issue, or gone after a model on their lot...I know my bud got that same dealer to knock an extra $1000 off his 2011 GT/CS by “settling” for the red one on the lot, but a $43k Mustang has a lot more wiggle room than a $26k one, lol.

For sub $30k sports cars, it’s hard to beat the new Stangs though, imo.

Unfortunately for me, the misses said I can’t afford a new car payment & a child support payment if I buy one, lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
SwiZz wrote: I also have nothing valuable to add to this thread aside from the fact that I am going through my quarter life crisis, getting married in August, and feel like life was over, and was thinking of buying an elantra, but now have changed and am likely to buy a gen coupe sometime this week lol

Live it up and enjoy your mustang :)
YOLO! haha

you screwed..
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
8355 posts
2267 upvotes
GTA
coriolis wrote: Just a render, but if they drop the retro look and evolve around the Evos concept, like the Fusion, looks very cool.

I'm still a fan of the current retro look, but I wouldn't mind this neither.

It's a cool look, but it's an Aston Martin look, not Mustang. ;)
Mar 14, 2011
363 posts
27 upvotes
spike1128 wrote: Actually I want you guys to give me the price you purchase at. I am in a little midlife crisis myself.

Are you located in Ontario?

I'll explain why I am asking later.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2010
3553 posts
87 upvotes
I really like the look of the current mustang but I'm planning to have my mid life crisis myself in about 5-10 years so I'm hoping the next generation mustang looks just as good or better. :cheesygri
RFD OT: Serious answers to stupid questions.
RFD Definition of 'troll': Someone whose opinion you don't like.
Jun 2, 2010
534 posts
62 upvotes
You may want to reconsider that investment when you see the terrible depreciation that mustangs have.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2004
4249 posts
825 upvotes
Pickering, ON
freerider_4life wrote: You may want to reconsider that investment when you see the terrible depreciation that mustangs have.

A base Mustang is already pretty cheap, and if you plan to keep it for life, who cares.
Sep 16, 2011
120 posts
9 upvotes
TORONTO
BD006 wrote: A base Mustang is already pretty cheap, and if you plan to keep it for life, who cares.
When he changes his mind tries to sell or trade and realizes a 15yr old Civic is worth more...

New base Mustang is a terrible choice. Get a used one or used GT. In this category a used Camaro is a better buy.
Nov 13, 2011
98 posts
59 upvotes
a 15 year old Civic doesn't have the same value. In fact I'm trying to get rid of my 06 Civic coupe while purchasing a new vehicle. I can't get more than 9 for it and I paid 20 for it new. A 06 mustang is still going for 14.

Also, if you look up some trending out there in the used car market, a 2010 mustang is getting better re-sale than a 2010 Genesis Coupe (which is my second choice car), both carrying about the same initial cost.

Maybe its different out east, but I plan on being in BC for my whole life so I the current west coast trends are what I'm looking in.

I'm not saying a Mustang has the "best" re-sale, there are other cars that carry better re-sale, but I'd either be spending more money now, or not getting as much money later. I might as well pick a car that I'm going to have fun with. I test drove a plethora of cars within my price range, sedans, coupes, commuter cars, sports cars, and muscle cars, and I found for the price, the Mustang is the best fit for me.

Obviously there are going to be a difference in opinions, this isn't supposed to be a flamer pro-car choice thread. Myself and the other gent are really looking for information on people who have purchased one of these recently.

I'm about to go to a few dealerships and make a deal. I can do this on my own and pit dealers against each other and yada yada, but it would really be handy if someone out there who has done this could share some dollar amounts so I can make informative demands.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2004
3746 posts
244 upvotes
I have the 2012 v6, you won't regret your choice when you get the 2013. It's a great vehicle.
Banned
Dec 14, 2011
461 posts
26 upvotes
Markham
Handyzman wrote: When he changes his mind tries to sell or trade and realizes a 15yr old Civic is worth more...

New base Mustang is a terrible choice. Get a used one or used GT. In this category a used Camaro is a better buy.

The Camaro is an ergonomic nightmare and is basically a pig. It's good on looks but for a daily driver, it's a challenge. Also getting a used Stang for less or equivalent of the current base V6 price is another terrible choice. The only options in the used market for that price range are some 11' V6 models, the sluggish and extremely outdated colgone V6 and the quite outdated 4.6 V8 models. What's the point? Might as well buy a brand new 2013 V6. Same HP, better fuel economy and it looks good if not better. (The '13 visual updates look really good!)