• Mar 21st, 2013 7:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1952 posts
172 upvotes
Bolton

2013 Honda Accord L4 Fuel Efficiency

It just makes me laugh how car manufacturers fuel efficiency claims are all wrong in a real world. Good read...

http://www.wheels.ca/news/time-to-rethi ... -measured/

Perhaps, Honda, like Hyundai, should be be refunding money for wrong fuel consumption claims.
22 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1243 upvotes
Sauga
That article is silly and pointless.

First of all, they drove around with 4 adults in the car.
Secondly, he was driving close to 120 km/h and even went up to 140 km/h.
Thirdly, he was driving around in cold weather, which will also lower fuel efficiency.

One person's experience doesn't necessarily represent reality for everyone.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/accord/gas%20l4 shows an average of 7.9 L/100km for the 2013 Accord (20 drivers, 42000+ km tracked), which is exactly the EPA estimate.

Time to rethink how newspaper articles are written.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
13874 posts
3143 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
And this is surprising because...? Canadian fuel estimates are garbage. EPA does a much better job, but in the end, they are estimates. Yes the article is garbage to a point, but it still says a lot about claimed fuel efficiency.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1952 posts
172 upvotes
Bolton
Rehan wrote: That article is silly and pointless.

First of all, they drove around with 4 adults in the car.
That's what cars are for, to transport from point A to B. Were other 3 adults supposed to take a bus?
Rehan wrote: Secondly, he was driving close to 120 km/h and even went up to 140 km/h.
I guess you have not driven on a 400 series highway??
Rehan wrote: Thirdly, he was driving around in cold weather, which will also lower fuel efficiency.
Wake up buddy, Honda or any other manufacturer should be testing in a cold weather environment and not in a wind tunnel with perfect conditions.

Rehan wrote: One person's experience doesn't necessarily represent reality for everyone.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/accord/gas%20l4 shows an average of 7.9 L/100km for the 2013 Accord (20 drivers, 42000+ km tracked), which is exactly the EPA estimate.
Again, is that with a single occupant and no additional weight in the car?
Rehan wrote: Time to rethink how newspaper articles are written.
This article was bang on.
Deal Addict
Jul 20, 2005
1982 posts
317 upvotes
I drive my 2013 Accord alone on the highway and in the city and I actually beat EPA estimates by about 1 mpg usually. My overall mileage is 7.2L/100km which is not bad at all. Of course I don't look at the Canadian estimates though. Yeah if you put 4 adults and luggage in a car and you're not going to get decent fuel economy. And I really don't believe the bit where he gets 13.9L/100k in his short city trip by himself unless it was a really short trip because I noticed the Accord fuel economy display shows wildly high estimates (+20) in the first few minutes of start-up and quickly drops as you drive.
Dec 18, 2003
105 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
First of all, you and the author fail to point out how EPA test Vehicles. Instead of posting crap go and educate yourself.

How Vehicles Are Tested
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/how_tested.shtml

Your Mileage Will Still Vary
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/why_differ.shtml
ancnfamily wrote: It just makes me laugh how car manufacturers fuel efficiency claims are all wrong in a real world. Good read...

http://www.wheels.ca/news/time-to-rethi ... -measured/

Perhaps, Honda, like Hyundai, should be be refunding money for wrong fuel consumption claims.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1243 upvotes
Sauga
ancnfamily wrote: I guess you have not driven on a 400 series highway??
I beat EPA estimates in both my Odyssey and Civic, on both 400 series highways and in the city. You don't see me using my experience to argue that EPA estimates are wildly off because I understand that a couple of anecdotes are meaningless in comparison to a larger set of data.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3099 posts
262 upvotes
Vancouver
ancnfamily wrote: That's what cars are for, to transport from point A to B. Were other 3 adults supposed to take a bus?

I guess you have not driven on a 400 series highway??

Wake up buddy, Honda or any other manufacturer should be testing in a cold weather environment and not in a wind tunnel with perfect conditions.

Again, is that with a single occupant and no additional weight in the car?

This article was bang on.
give your head a shake.
this is a standardize test.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2012
2252 posts
223 upvotes
Toronto
OP clearly didn't survive past high school because if (one) did, you will notice that

1. All fuel economy tests are carried out under certain set environments. These environments simulate conditions motors may encounter during the time of owning the car. For example, driving your car to work (alone).

2. 4 people + high speed is NOT how the EPA tests cars.
Jul 7, 2005
880 posts
102 upvotes
op must have gotten a bad christmas gift.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1243 upvotes
Sauga
linsook wrote: op must have gotten a bad christmas gift.
He had a bad experiences with a Civic and an Odyssey and now he's very anti-Honda if you see his posting history.
It's the same kind of irrationality as the newspaper article's author...

"The plural of anecdote is not data", as someone once said. A lot of people don't seem to understand that.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2007
1952 posts
172 upvotes
Bolton
Rehan wrote: He had a bad experiences with a Civic and an Odyssey and now he's very anti-Honda if you see his posting history.
It's the same kind of irrationality as the newspaper article's author...

"The plural of anecdote is not data", as someone once said. A lot of people don't seem to understand that.
You are right there..Worst cars I ever owed. 2009 Odyssey and 2008 Civic..Lost money on them due to being so bad..