Automotive

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT - Not sure what to do with it?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2021 4:19 pm
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
964 posts
242 upvotes
Hamilton

2013 Hyundai Elantra GT - Not sure what to do with it?

So my wife has the aforementioned car. We live in Winona but she works in Caledon. The car has 201,000km, basically all highway.

It has been rock solid but last week it started making a weird noise. We brought it into the mechanic and he said it will need a new clutch and brakes which will be about 3K.

My parents have a 2014 Audi A4 S-line with 61,000km which is in amazing shape. They have babied it.

They are looking at trading it in for a Q5 but said we can just buy it off them instead (it will cost 12-15K, depending on what the dealership evaluates it at). The all-wheel drive would be great for my wife's long distance work.

My thought is that if I spend 3K on the Elantra, I am just throwing away money because we will buy the Audi and probably can't recoup the investment. However, if we don't replace the clutch, then no one will buy it because of the the horrible noise it makes.

Does anyone have any advice on the best approach?
Last edited by peji911 on Aug 20th, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
45 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15005 posts
11533 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Sell car as is and buy parents car.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2013
1167 posts
1542 upvotes
Calgary
Spend a weekend and DIY for under a $1000 bucks or sell as is
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
23463 posts
5500 upvotes
Toronto
another vote for sell as is - you won't recoup the costs of the repair at all when you sell privately...............

You won't get top dollar anyways since there probably isn't huge demand for a manual Elantra but you'll find some buyers (limited)........

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
2228 posts
1754 upvotes
Sell the car but don't buy the Audi.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2434 posts
1485 upvotes
Calgary
get a second opinion on clutch and brake jobs. just get labor on brakes and buy brakes from maxbrakes.com
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
peji911 wrote: So my wife has the aforementioned car. We live in Winona but she works in Caledon. The car has 201,000km, basically all highway.

It has been rock solid but last week it started making a weird noise. We brought it into the mechanic and he said it will need a new clutch and breaks which will be about 3K.

My parents have a 2014 Audi A4 S-line with 61,000km which is in amazing shape. They have babied it.

They are looking at trading it in for a Q5 but said we can just buy it off them instead (it will cost 12-15K, depending on what the dealership evaluates it at). The all-wheel drive would be great for my wife's long distance work.

My thought is that if I spend 3K on the Elantra, I am just throwing away money because we will buy the Audi and probably can't recoup the investment. However, if we don't replace the clutch, then no one will buy it because of the the horrible noise it makes.

The Audi is 7 years old. Problems will start to show. Audi isn't cheap to maintain. Parts are expensive and labour is intensive.

As for the clutch job, shop around. Should be around $1500 give or take.
A similar thread here clutch-died-1400-repair-bill-1510227/
As for the brakes, shop around as well. Should be around $500 for all 4 corners (pads and rotors). https://www.lgautoexhaust.ca/index.php/mechanical
Oct 23, 2014
527 posts
403 upvotes
Laval, QC
mostly highway and the clutch is gone? absolutely, get a second opinion..
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2083 upvotes
Markham
nickgritz wrote: mostly highway and the clutch is gone? absolutely, get a second opinion..
A lot of drivers these days don't know how to drive manual transmission....even they think they know...
Oct 23, 2014
527 posts
403 upvotes
Laval, QC
BDSL wrote: A lot of drivers these days don't know how to drive manual transmission....even they think they know...
True...i forgot about getting stuck in traffic. Clutch on fire!! lol
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
5642 posts
2264 upvotes
Abbottabad
Your wife drives a stick?!

Where did you find said wife.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2006
1065 posts
742 upvotes
While the Audi 2.0 engine is pretty good in that A4, it is a luxury/ premium car, which means premium gas and premium parts. It is also 7 years old so major maintenance if it hasn’t been done.

You are far better off selling the Hyundai privately (as is) and getting another car (with 4WD). Or get another opinion to see if it is, in fact the clutch. $3000 seems quite high to replace a clutch anyways and some breaks. I would say $1200 for clutch, $350/400 for breaks.
[OP]
Jun 9, 2009
964 posts
242 upvotes
Hamilton
iamskyhigh wrote: Your wife drives a stick?!

Funny story.

She didn't drive stick when we met but I did. I tried teaching her how to drive my car but she wasn't taking to it cause, honestly, she didn't car. However, she was driving a sports car at the time and lived at home. We were still in uni.

One day her cars has this huuuuge dent on it... her brother had taken it out, and then messed it up. Didn't pay to fix it. Then we would go out and let's say on a Friday night. She would fill her tank after school/work, we'd go out in my car and then by Sunday, her tank was almost empty cause her younger brother would take it up north and just cruising for a few days straight.

As such, when it came time to buy a new car because he messed up hers, I told her she would have to get a stick or we couldn't be together because I wasn't going to spend the rest of my life buying cars/gas for her brothers to use. She got this Elantra and now every car we have bought, except a Jeep, has been stick. And we've travelled across Europe and she was able to drive and not just be a passenger.

As for her brother? Now he destroys the parents' cars/gas.
Mar 31, 2011
447 posts
412 upvotes
Cambridge, ON
peji911 wrote: So my wife has the aforementioned car. We live in Winona but she works in Caledon. The car has 201,000km, basically all highway.

It has been rock solid but last week it started making a weird noise. We brought it into the mechanic and he said it will need a new clutch and breaks which will be about 3K.

desolatioN wrote: While the Audi 2.0 engine is pretty good in that A4, it is a luxury/ premium car, which means premium gas and premium parts. It is also 7 years old so major maintenance if it hasn’t been done.

You are far better off selling the Hyundai privately (as is) and getting another car (with 4WD). Or get another opinion to see if it is, in fact the clutch. $3000 seems quite high to replace a clutch anyways and some breaks. I would say $1200 for clutch, $350/400 for breaks.
It's BRAKES, gat damn!! Your car don't need to be broken....
Buying things you don't need is what RFD is all about.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12353 posts
4860 upvotes
Toronto
Don't spend a 3k to fix a 8 years old Elantra with over 200k KM.
Sell it as it is. Even $500 or $1000 is good.

If your wife like the Audi, and you know the parents keep it in great shape. Just run a full inspection before buying it, you just don't want another surprise.
Spare some repairs funds and get CAA since your wife drive long distance, hopefully she enjoy the A4 with no headache on it.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
8679 posts
5525 upvotes
Vancouver
iamskyhigh wrote: Your wife drives a stick?!

My wife drives stick and rides a motorcycle. However, she can't cook worth a darn. Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
May 2, 2017
1483 posts
2115 upvotes
desolatioN wrote: While the Audi 2.0 engine is pretty good in that A4, it is a luxury/ premium car, which means premium gas and premium parts. It is also 7 years old so major maintenance if it hasn’t been done.

I wouldn't really consider the A4 as being a luxury/premium car as far as parts/labour costs. It'll be pretty similar to if you owned a VW Golf, Jetta, or GTI. They share most of the parts (same engine as a GTI, same brakes, same wheel hubs/bearings, etc). The key to not spending too much on maintenance will be to find a good independent VW/Audi mechanic, which has reasonable labour rates and doesn't gouge on parts. Don't bother going to the Audi dealer for maintenance.

The biggest cost difference between the A4 and Elantra will probably be the premium fuel (not too bad if you fill at Costco), but IMO it would be worth it for the much nicer ride. It'll handle a lot better on the highway.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2203 posts
1254 upvotes
Vancouver
Other thing to consider by going to the A4 your wife will give up driving MT may regret that down the road if she enjoys driving MT.

Example I drove MT my whole life my dad retired and bought an Infiniti and I took his Toyota drove it a few years but missed driving MT too much got back into an MT and haven't looked back since.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2006
1065 posts
742 upvotes
Blustreak wrote: It's BRAKES, gat damn!! Your car don't need to be broken....
is only RFD, Y u HeFF to Be MadD ???