2013 Hyundai Elantra Transmission - Hard Shifting Issue

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 4th, 2021 8:03 pm
[OP]
Jun 21, 2006
175 posts
7 upvotes

2013 Hyundai Elantra Transmission - Hard Shifting Issue

Original owner of a well maintained Elantra sedan (Automatic transmission). Recently the vehicle began struggling at low speeds with gear shifting. It is lurching and struggling through lower gears to get up to speed. I think the term is hard shipping or slipping. The yellow engine light illuminated a little bit after this problem started. It is not blinking (it is solid). DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) as read by my mechanic are P0711, P0712, & P0713. The vehicle drives normally once I get up to about 45 km/h.

I have 2 questions:

1. Ever since this issue started, I have not driven this vehicle other than the short drive to my mechanic who read the codes. My understanding is that if the yellow warning light were blinking that would mean I should not drive the vehicle but because it is solid it is more of a get service soon warning. Is that correct? Is it safe for me to drive it to 2-3 transmission repair shops to get repair quotes or should I not risk that?

2. I live on the Oakville side of the Oakville/Mississauga border by the lake (L6J). Can anyone recommend a transmission shop within about half an hour drive? I have never had a vehicle with a transmission issue before; is there anything other than warranty that I should be evaluating when I select between quotes? I appreciate any tips/knowledge anyone can provide.

Thanks.
A
18 replies
Sep 25, 2018
805 posts
1477 upvotes
What did the mechanic who read the code say? Did he give you a quote?
[OP]
Jun 21, 2006
175 posts
7 upvotes
My sense is that he's not used to doing transmission work. I've asked for a quote; he said he is doing research and will get back to me today. I will update this thread once I've heard from him.
Sep 8, 2018
79 posts
76 upvotes
have you even done the basic`s of like checking fluid levels, etc., could be something could be nothing to serious
Sep 8, 2018
79 posts
76 upvotes
Just did a quick google search and it could be a temp sensor, could also be low level.
[OP]
Jun 21, 2006
175 posts
7 upvotes
The transmission fluid in this vehicle is not within my skill set to check - there is no dipstick :(

I took this from a quote from a Hyundai dealer on another forum "he (the dealer) pointed out there was now way to check as there is no dipstick for the ATF but the mechanic/dealer can check it from under the car."

I don't know if my mechanic just read the codes and din't even bother to check the oil level. I guess I didn't think that would be possible but I now I will ask.

Yes barrybeefburger, the codes do seem to indicate that this could be a temp sensor issue.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12497 posts
9197 upvotes
GTA, ON
How many clicks on the car, and when was the ATF last changed and at what mileage?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
3457 posts
694 upvotes
I recall this issue, it was very prevalent in the states through which they did a recall

The harness for the transmission fluid has a faulty design. When I started getting the problem in my 2012 Elantra, I bought the part from the states and took the car into the Hyundai Dealership to do the work.

It was a long time ago, so I don't recall the amount paid but it was reasonable. I tried to get the recall honored in Canada but that was a fruitless attempt.

You may have a better chance of getting it covered but YMMV.

Good luck!
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11544 posts
3251 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
As already mentioned it seems like it may be a temp sensor for the transmission and just above me was mentioned it could be a wiring harness. I would either bring it to a good mechanic or to the Hyundai dealer to see what they say but it does not sound like you need to fix your transmission or replace it but might just be the harness or sensor hopefully.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14910 posts
9298 upvotes
Toronto
ib4 you're lucky it didn't catch fire.

I also vote for the dealer to diag.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[OP]
Jun 21, 2006
175 posts
7 upvotes
83K kms.

ATF was flushed 20K kms ago (about 2 years ago).

Yes azn_dan, my mechanic sent me the TSB in the US and suggested I try to get this covered given that it is covered in the US. No luck with 3 local service managers (same experience as you). If you are able to dig up the cost of the repair, that would be awesome.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12497 posts
9197 upvotes
GTA, ON
koffey wrote: ib4 you're lucky it didn't catch fire.

I also vote for the dealer to diag.
Shush.... don't give HO anymore ideas on how to lie about the reason for the next engine fire.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Jun 21, 2006
175 posts
7 upvotes
Is it unwise to drive the vehicle with the warning light illuminated?
[OP]
Jun 21, 2006
175 posts
7 upvotes
It seems that my mechanic wasn't very helpful tbh. He simply checked the DTC's and printed off the TSB (US) that tells US dealers how to fix this issue. I don't believe he did much of any checking...and he has not provided me with a quote. I don't think he does much transmission work.

I guess my question is:

Given that I have the DTCs, can I email a few transmission specific shops locally and get a firm repair quote or do the codes not give enough information and each shop would have to have me bring the car in to evaluate the cost to repair? Given the warning light, is it best to just choose 1 place , take it there and let them fix it to avoid driving the vehicle when the transmission is hard shifting at low speeds?
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14910 posts
9298 upvotes
Toronto
alonm wrote: Is it unwise to drive the vehicle with the warning light illuminated?
Nope, give er. Worse case, it breaks down so drive it like you stole it. At least that is what I would do. If your overly cautious, take it easy and use residential roads.

I had an old 86 eurosport that had tranny problems. The harder I drove it the better it responded, lol. Til of course it completely failed.

Love that car.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 8, 2018
79 posts
76 upvotes
alonm wrote: It seems that my mechanic wasn't very helpful tbh. He simply checked the DTC's and printed off the TSB (US) that tells US dealers how to fix this issue. I don't believe he did much of any checking...and he has not provided me with a quote. I don't think he does much transmission work.

I guess my question is:

Given that I have the DTCs, can I email a few transmission specific shops locally and get a firm repair quote or do the codes not give enough information and each shop would have to have me bring the car in to evaluate the cost to repair? Given the warning light, is it best to just choose 1 place , take it there and let them fix it to avoid driving the vehicle when the transmission is hard shifting at low speeds?
Years ago I had an issue with the over drive solenoid in my Ford, It was a simple unplug plug in fix, I called a few indie shops and got a lot of different quotes which I couldn't understand why, anyway, for giggles I called my local Ford main dealer I told him what the problem was he gave me a price which was a lot cheaper than any of the indies (I think it was about $150 - $175) and he went on to say that they only charge for the transmission fluid change as the fix was so simple, that has been the only good dealer interaction I have had, lol.

It sounds like your fix is very simple, its just finding an honest tech to do it for you and charge you fairly.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4264 posts
4422 upvotes
GTA
alonm wrote: 1. Ever since this issue started, I have not driven this vehicle other than the short drive to my mechanic who read the codes. My understanding is that if the yellow warning light were blinking that would mean I should not drive the vehicle but because it is solid it is more of a get service soon warning. Is that correct?Is it safe for me to drive it to 2-3 transmission repair shops to get repair quotes or should I not risk that?
Check your owner's manual for specific information, but generally a flashing CEL only means engine misfire.
alonm wrote: Given that I have the DTCs, can I email a few transmission specific shops locally and get a firm repair quote or do the codes not give enough information and each shop would have to have me bring the car in to evaluate the cost to repair? Given the warning light, is it best to just choose 1 place , take it there and let them fix it to avoid driving the vehicle when the transmission is hard shifting at low speeds?
You'll have to bring the car in for a firm quote. A DTC only indicates that there is a problem with a certain system. It doesn't tell you anything about the extent of the repair. The DTC only serves as a staring point for the technician's diagnosis, during which they will determine the extent of the repair and associated cost. As has been mentioned in this thread: it could be the sensor, it could be the wiring, or it could be something else. Nobody knows until the problem is investigated.
Jun 21, 2006
823 posts
429 upvotes
Common problem transmission temperature sensor Hyundai has an updated part
Parts and labour is $300 incs trany fluid unless the price for the sensor went up in price
Job takes 2-3 hours to do