Tags:
None
[OP]
Jun 22, 2009
307 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto

2013 Jaguar XF 3.0 AWD - Buy or Avoid?

I'm in the market to purchase a used luxury car. Looked into the Infiniti Q50 but wasn't satisfied with how it drove (no low end power). I have been looking at 2013 Jaguar XF, I really love how it looks and the interior is phenomenal. I know Jaguars are known to be bad on gas. Do you guys have any experiences with this car? How is it in terms of reliability are there any known key problems (I know European cars are not as reliable however how does this Jaguar compare to a BMW or an Audi?). I have never owned a Jaguar so just looking for more info. The used cars I've been looking at have had about 70k-80k km on them. How long do these typically last before becoming a nuisance?
62 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
The XFs have a pretty good record of reliability. I own an 09 and am very up to speed with all of the common issues on the early model years but to be honest don't know a ton about the issues on the later models. My advice would be to go on the jag forums and do some research.

As an FYI, my 09 has been stellar in terms of reliability. I purchased it in Jan 2013 at 54k and it's now at about 134k. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Jag. I actually had a 2013 xf as a loaner for a week or so. It was pretty decent but the engine definitely isn't as smooth as the 4.2 v8 in my 09. It was dead fast though.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
3540 posts
3127 upvotes
Toronto
british cars' reliability is worse than german. the infotainment system is slow and prone to many electrical problems.
source: jag forum
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
866 upvotes
nice looking car but I am still weary on the overall reliability
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2556 posts
610 upvotes
Ottawa
Didn't they have problems with not being able to shift out of gear?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
AtlsNBP wrote: Didn't they have problems with not being able to shift out of gear?
That was on the early model years. The redesigned shifter in the newer models doesn't have that issue. Earlier model year shifters were replaced under recall.

Also lol @ the typical 'avoid like the plague' comments from people that have never even owned one.
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
9063 posts
3368 upvotes
Mississauga
nasa25 wrote: ...
Also lol @ the typical 'avoid like the plague' comments from people that have never even owned one.
They just jelly or trying to justify their japanese vehicles.
[OP]
Jun 22, 2009
307 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
nineiron wrote: would avoid like the plague
Could you please share why? Just trying to get as much info as possible
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9321 posts
1363 upvotes
Montreal, QC
A Jaguar forum would probably be more appropriate to consult since aside from nasa25, don't think many people own Jags on RFD. On the Jag forums you'll be able to connect with people who own the specific model you're looking at (same year/engine/transmission etc) and see if that particular config has any particular issues.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xf ... -xf-94855/

http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xf ... awd-96249/

http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xf-xf ... -v6-97904/

General consensus is that it's ok. Awd is pretty good. Engine just isn't as good as the 4.2 or 5.0L v8s but that's to be expected. I think it depends what trim you're looking at as well. Like I said I drove a base model '13 v6 awd for a week and couldn't wait to get back into my spec'd out '09. But then again I also drove an XJ for a week and was sad to give it back lol.
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
Deal Addict
May 30, 2012
3967 posts
1331 upvotes
BC
Reliability aside
Jag has zero resale value
Oct 4, 2008
51 posts
5 upvotes
iownyou wrote: Reliability aside
Jag has zero resale value
So I should expect ppl to give away their jags?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1172 posts
520 upvotes
Just make sure it was well maintained and consider bringing it into a Jaguar dealership (If it's being bought 3rd party) to find out if there are any concerning aspects of the car. I think they're beautiful cars. What's your budget?
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
shoeab wrote: So I should expect ppl to give away their jags?
yeah I paid 0 dollars for mine and now it's actually worth -100 because of the mileage I put on
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1172 posts
520 upvotes
nasa25 wrote: yeah I paid 0 dollars for mine and now it's actually worth -100 because of the mileage I put on
So it's like this car? :lol:
Oct 4, 2008
51 posts
5 upvotes
nasa25 wrote: yeah I paid 0 dollars for mine and now it's actually worth -100 because of the mileage I put on
Hahahaha ;) please pay me to take your car ahahahahahahah
[OP]
Jun 22, 2009
307 posts
187 upvotes
Toronto
rsang39 wrote: Just make sure it was well maintained and consider bringing it into a Jaguar dealership (If it's being bought 3rd party) to find out if there are any concerning aspects of the car. I think they're beautiful cars. What's your budget?
Been looking at the ones on sale there aren't too many on sale. Budget is about $38k but ideally would like to stay under $33k unless I'm getting a really nice car.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
30980 posts
1790 upvotes
Fernando Poo
rsang39 wrote: So it's like this car? :lol:
The spring just fell out of my 2015 Kia Forte's hood release, so I'm thinking its already on the way to this. Parts are really chintzy on this car.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21190 posts
10651 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Desii wrote: Been looking at the ones on sale there aren't too many on sale. Budget is about $38k but ideally would like to stay under $33k unless I'm getting a really nice car.
Get a 2011 XFR. You'll thank me later.