Home & Garden

2014-2024 Central AC/Furnace/Heat Pump (Feedback & Questions)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 8:38 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
newlyborn wrote: Fact Check - Manufacture warranty remains intact regardless if the installer runs out of the business. As long as Model no and Serial no. are on the equipment ANY License holder can avail the warranty.
Fact check: the labour warranty is gone and labour is very expensive.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
That is not true either if warranty was sold ( not provided ) . Please note that there is a difference between FREE warranty provided Vs. warranty sold.
Anikiri wrote: Fact check: the labour warranty is gone and labour is very expensive.
Certified HVAC Pro. Committed to Customer, not brand. Past RFD Review
2024 AC, Furnace, Heat Pump and Water Heater Groupbuy
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
newlyborn wrote: That is not true either if warranty was sold ( not provided ) . Please note that there is a difference between FREE warranty provided Vs. warranty sold.
Great. I am glad people know to call you then when their contractor isn’t providing warranty or went out of business. Since you’ll be providing free labour warranty.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4517 posts
3449 upvotes
Vaughan
All I am implying is not ever other installer is a thief or a fly by night operator as your most posts suggest. Any company has a risk of running out of business no matter how big or small it may be.
Nor I have solicited my busniess here or Did I ?
Anikiri wrote: Great. I am glad people know to call you then when their contractor isn’t providing warranty or went out of business. Since you’ll be providing free labour warranty.
Certified HVAC Pro. Committed to Customer, not brand. Past RFD Review
2024 AC, Furnace, Heat Pump and Water Heater Groupbuy
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
newlyborn wrote: All I am implying is not ever other installer is a thief or a fly by night operator as your most posts suggest. Any company has a risk of running out of business no matter how big or small it may be.
Nor I have solicited my busniess here or Did I ?
All I am saying is that people should go the safe route buying expensive appliances for their homes and not have to pay expensive fees for third party warranty and annual services just to keep their warranty in order.

People can just buy from reliable contractors, good brands with great service, and not have to jump hoops to get things mended. Certainly I’ll agree that not all contractors are ill natured, but there are most definitely a large portion of contractors who are absolutely not trustworthy. Why go through all that when you can do better with known people.
Jul 3, 2002
348 posts
45 upvotes
My Carrier builder grade AC finally died last Saturday the 21st in the midst of the heat wave. Having young kids, I was desperate to get a new one installed. Did some research online and got a quote from Reliance Home Comfort who convinced me to replace both AC and furnace for north of 10k. Out of extreme heat and desperation I signed the paper work to have it installed a few days later.

Something just didn't feel right so of course I did more research and finally came across this group buy. Immediately called Craig and he answered every question and was very professional so I cancelled my deal with Reliance and sent Craig a deposit on the Trane XR13 booked for the 23rd which was yesterday.

Craig messaged me on Sunday to tell me that they didn't have the XR13 in stock but would be upgrading me to the XR16 for the same price. Firstly, I've never dealt with a contractor that was so helpful and more importantly willing to upgrade their customer to a better unit at no additional cost wow!

Skid forward to yesterday and his team arrived at 8:30AM and started working right away. They too were great to deal with and the everything went well except they found a crack in the shield of my furnace which means I'll be getting him to replace that as well.

I normally don't leave reviews but felt he deserves all the credit for talking care of me the way he did. I'll be recommending him to my friends and famly.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
Hound888 wrote: My Carrier builder grade AC finally died last Saturday the 21st in the midst of the heat wave. Having young kids, I was desperate to get a new one installed. Did some research online and got a quote from Reliance Home Comfort who convinced me to replace both AC and furnace for north of 10k. Out of extreme heat and desperation I signed the paper work to have it installed a few days later.

Something just didn't feel right so of course I did more research and finally came across this group buy. Immediately called Craig and he answered every question and was very professional so I cancelled my deal with Reliance and sent Craig a deposit on the Trane XR13 booked for the 23rd which was yesterday.

Craig messaged me on Sunday to tell me that they didn't have the XR13 in stock but would be upgrading me to the XR16 for the same price. Firstly, I've never dealt with a contractor that was so helpful and more importantly willing to upgrade their customer to a better unit at no additional cost wow!

Skid forward to yesterday and his team arrived at 8:30AM and started working right away. They too were great to deal with and the everything went well except they found a crack in the shield of my furnace which means I'll be getting him to replace that as well.

I normally don't leave reviews but felt he deserves all the credit for talking care of me the way he did. I'll be recommending him to my friends and famly.
Congratulations. I think you're the second person that I know of who got a free upgrade, it's really unfortunate that not everyone gets this upgrade.
Jul 3, 2002
348 posts
45 upvotes
Anikiri wrote: Congratulations. I think you're the second person that I know of who got a free upgrade, it's really unfortunate that not everyone gets this upgrade.
Thanks! Not sure how much energy I will end up saving over the XR13 but the upgrade was most definitely appreciated.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2010
1428 posts
431 upvotes
Hound888 wrote: My Carrier builder grade AC finally died last Saturday the 21st in the midst of the heat wave. Having young kids, I was desperate to get a new one installed. Did some research online and got a quote from Reliance Home Comfort who convinced me to replace both AC and furnace for north of 10k. Out of extreme heat and desperation I signed the paper work to have it installed a few days later.

y
It was great working for you Hound888. Yes if we run out of AC units Trane will usually substitute something in its place. Im glad you received the XR16 its about $800 more then the XR13. Yes, we had to tag your furnace and turn off the gas as we found a hairline crack in the HE. Nothing urgent but will need to be replaced for this upcoming heating season. When we find something unsafe to you and your family we legally have to do this. I hope you understand.
TY
Craig
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2010
1428 posts
431 upvotes
fexhung wrote: Had the new ac installed this afternoon. Craig's team was on time and very clean, laid down mats to walk on. They also asked which method on setting up the outside unit was, replaced everything neatly and took the old AC and other older components that they replaced.

After the install was complete, they advised how to maintain the unit and tidied up, I didn't have to do any cleaning when they left. Craig called a few hours later following up with the installation and how the unit was working.

The positive reviews Craig and his team have received are well earned. I will not hesitate to recommend them for their services.
Thanks for your business Felix. Yes, its our policy to keep your home in the same condition as we started. We lay drop mats to walk on and alway clean up after ourselves. Thanks for choosing us and please don't hesitate to let us know if you need anything else.
Aug 12, 2018
3 posts
Hi all,

Spoke with Craig today and he mentioned that it will $500 on top of the quoted group buy price if my furnace is a high velocity type. I'm not particularly sure what cause the price difference but would like to know if anybody can shed some light on this.

TY
Aug 15, 2018
1 posts
Great for Installation, SERVICE HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE – DO NOT USE
I had an A/C unit installed by Four Season Comfort in Aug 2017. I had a co-worker who had used their services and was happy. As many of the reviews here attest to it was a positive experience. Craig provided and quote quickly, seemed knowledgeable and friendly and the unit was installed within a week of my inquiry. However, that is where my good service ended; I HAVE HAD A BROKEN A/C UNIT FOR 11 WEEKS.
I discovered at this beginning of this summer my new A/C unit was not working. I contacted Craig on May 25th to request a service visit covered by my 5 year service warranty. My service visit was scheduled for two weeks after my initial inquiry after several follow-up requests from me. The technician did not show up during that service visit window and we had to reschedule for a week later. At that time it was determined there was a leak in the coil which needed to be replaced. The technician filled up the refrigerant and told me it would work as good as new but the coil needed to be replaced when the part came in, in about two weeks’ time. However, even with the topped up refrigerant the A/C unit only worked marginally better and I let Craig know I thought there may be a secondary issue. He assured me it was the coil. When the new coil arrived a service visit was scheduled and the technician came out to replace it only to discover during the visit that the new part was damaged and a second coil would have to be ordered. Craig told me it would be two weeks before the new coil would arrive. When the two weeks passed I contacted Craig to find out when the installation could be arranged. He told me the lead time was actually 20 business days not the two weeks he originally told me.
At that time I phoned the A/C manufacturer to ask about the part and I was told my A/C unit had never had its warranty registered with them. I asked Craig about this and in fact he said they neglected to register and he would do so immediately. I followed up several times as he never provided confirmation of the registration at which point he told me he was going to generate a false installation invoice as the warranty could only be registered within 60 days of installation and he did just that despite my telling him I would not be party to any activity that would leave me with an invalid warranty.
When the new coil arrived a few weeks late the technician installed it. Again, the A/C was marginally better but still not great in terms of ability to cool. I let Craig know that it did not seem to be able to cool below about 22C and that when it was cooling it would take several hours to cool 1 or 2 degrees despite my small living space. I restated I thought there may be a secondary issue with the A/C unit. His reply was to say that it was working fine and that if he sent someone out I would have to pay for a service visit as it would not be covered by my service warranty. While he never supplied me with a copy of my service warranty despite my asking for a copy he did send out the same technician who once again altered the refrigerant saying he’d over charged it last time and this could lead to it not cooling properly.
The problem only became worse after that, less cooling. I subsequently contacted Craig who once again told me my malfunctioning A/C unit was fine and he was charging me for the previous service visit. I assured him it was not and he could fix it, replace it or take it out and return my money. He was going to follow up with the technician to determine what the problem was. That was two weeks ago and I have heard nothing. My A/C unit has been broken for 11 weeks, the entirety of the summer so far.
This has inconvenienced me and my family in a number of ways. It has affected our sleep, our dog and we leave town during heatwaves, when we can to get some relief. I’m shocked at this service. I will continue to peruse this issue until I get a working A/C that I paid for in full. I will provide updates here as time progresses. People should know what they are getting themselves into.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 29, 2003
6103 posts
6790 upvotes
Caledonia, ON
Ouch that sounds like a terrible experience
Oct 2, 2014
11 posts
Ajax, ON
Can someone recommend a company like Four Season that services Pickering

TIA
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2009
1819 posts
814 upvotes
Toronto
Had an A/C issue a year after mine was installed. Craig's team came out to my place a few times. Due to my schedule and availability, the fix was delayed a few weeks. Ultimately, it turned out it was a piston or something from my furnace that was causing the issue.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2008
1784 posts
1108 upvotes
Hi Everyone,

My AC crapped out last week and I got a couple of quotes for a replacement install. The best one so far is for an Armstrong 4SCU14LE $3,075 (plus HST). Does this sound fair? Thank you in advance!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world... Those who understand binary and those who don't 💡
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2010
1428 posts
431 upvotes
MIS868 wrote: Great for Installation, SERVICE HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE – DO NOT USE
I had an A/C unit installed by Four Season Comfort in Aug 2017. I had a co-worker who had used their services and was happy. As many of the reviews here attest to it was a positive experience. Craig provided and quote quickly, seemed knowledgeable and friendly and the unit was installed within a week of my inquiry. However, that is where my good service ended; I HAVE HAD A BROKEN A/C UNIT FOR 11 WEEKS.
I discovered at this beginning of this summer my new A/C unit was not working. I contacted Craig on May 25th to request a service visit covered by my 5 year service warranty. My service visit was scheduled for two weeks after my initial inquiry after several follow-up requests from me. The technician did not show up during that service visit window and we had to reschedule for a week later. At that time it was determined there was a leak in the coil which needed to be replaced. The technician filled up the refrigerant and told me it would work as good as new but the coil needed to be replaced when the part came in, in about two weeks’ time. However, even with the topped up refrigerant the A/C unit only worked marginally better and I let Craig know I thought there may be a secondary issue. He assured me it was the coil. When the new coil arrived a service visit was scheduled and the technician came out to replace it only to discover during the visit that the new part was damaged and a second coil would have to be ordered. Craig told me it would be two weeks before the new coil would arrive. When the two weeks passed I contacted Craig to find out when the installation could be arranged. He told me the lead time was actually 20 business days not the two weeks he originally told me.
At that time I phoned the A/C manufacturer to ask about the part and I was told my A/C unit had never had its warranty registered with them. I asked Craig about this and in fact he said they neglected to register and he would do so immediately. I followed up several times as he never provided confirmation of the registration at which point he told me he was going to generate a false installation invoice as the warranty could only be registered within 60 days of installation and he did just that despite my telling him I would not be party to any activity that would leave me with an invalid warranty.
When the new coil arrived a few weeks late the technician installed it. Again, the A/C was marginally better but still not great in terms of ability to cool. I let Craig know that it did not seem to be able to cool below about 22C and that when it was cooling it would take several hours to cool 1 or 2 degrees despite my small living space. I restated I thought there may be a secondary issue with the A/C unit. His reply was to say that it was working fine and that if he sent someone out I would have to pay for a service visit as it would not be covered by my service warranty. While he never supplied me with a copy of my service warranty despite my asking for a copy he did send out the same technician who once again altered the refrigerant saying he’d over charged it last time and this could lead to it not cooling properly.
The problem only became worse after that, less cooling. I subsequently contacted Craig who once again told me my malfunctioning A/C unit was fine and he was charging me for the previous service visit. I assured him it was not and he could fix it, replace it or take it out and return my money. He was going to follow up with the technician to determine what the problem was. That was two weeks ago and I have heard nothing. My A/C unit has been broken for 11 weeks, the entirety of the summer so far.
This has inconvenienced me and my family in a number of ways. It has affected our sleep, our dog and we leave town during heatwaves, when we can to get some relief. I’m shocked at this service. I will continue to peruse this issue until I get a working A/C that I paid for in full. I will provide updates here as time progresses. People should know what they are getting themselves into.
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. In the 14 years we have been in business we have never received a review like this. We strive for excellence and have had hundreds upon hundreds of positive
reviews. I apologize that it took so long to receive the parts from American Standard, in Tyler, Texas. This is not acceptable to us as we understand how important it is to have a working Ac. After the first coil was shipped defective we requested expedited shipment from Texas. Unfortunately, this was out of our control and we have forwarded your complaint to the manufacturer. We have repaired your Ac and have not charged you a dime. We have only tried to help. The final time we sent our technician to your location for no cooling, the Ac was working perfectly and the pressures were to the manufacturers specifications.
You have posted information on this site and Homestars that are inaccurate. We find this diasappomiting.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
Just to add to this, it should take the AC quite a bit of time to initially cool the house down, if it is properly installed. This is why on a hot day, your AC seems to run all day long. If you want quicker cooling, you'd have to install a larger unit, which would cause more trouble since it would cycle on on off too quickly.

It takes my AC a couple hours to cool the house down 1-2 C as well, this is because the house is too hot... all of it (walls, floors, stuff inside, etc...) and it takes time to properly cool it all down.

I fully understand your frustration, MIS868. I think this is both unfortunate and quite the misunderstanding. It doesn't appear that Craig was unresponsive to your requests for service, but that he simply does not have the parts to warranty your unit in propery time and made every effort to remedy your situation. It also appears that he didn't charge you anything for any service despite repeated returns to accommodate you. It is frustrating that the AC isn't in working order, but there is only so much he can do and is beholden to the manufacturer replacing parts.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
tomalan wrote: Can someone recommend a company like Four Season that services Pickering

TIA
Craig (Four Seasons) does service Pickering.
Nov 24, 2008
3 posts
Canada
Has anyone heard or used Alex from ABM Home Climate in the GTA?

He is offering a Goodman GMEC96 furnace installed for 2550$. Is this a reasonable price for this unit?

Thanks in advance.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)