• Oct 23rd, 2017 5:33 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
162 upvotes

2014 Cadillac ELR (Hybrid vehicle)

So, one of my friends was shopping for a vehicle (either BMW or MB) and came across this vehicle at a local dealer. As far as we researched, it has a 1.4l 4 Cyl engine which propels the car if in case the EV stops. But looking at the specs and all, it looks like a Chevy Bolt in an expensive suit. The car itself looks outstanding IMO, and it's a FWD 2 DR Lamborghini looking vehicle (I mean it looks mean and the wheels were awesome on it too).

I guess the only question is, how reliable is Cadi's? I mean they are made my GM I guess, so it should be reliable as well. What's your opinion on the car itself?

The price was listed at $35,000 but we talked the salesperson and the manager in to some discounts and got it down to $32,200. Obviously the interest rate is %3.99, but my friend wants to pay it with this HELOC which is at %2.39 and would not be that much monthly for him.

Has anyone looked at this car before, that they can spill on some good details? It has some pretty high reviews on Google, and car looks outstanding in design and aesthetics.

Comparing this car to either a BMW 3 series (4CYL 2.0L) or a MB CLA250 (4CYL 2.0L), which would you get and why?

Thanks for your help guys!!!
Images
  • cadiELR.jpg
Last edited by kabyLake on Oct 20th, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
33 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30150 posts
16261 upvotes
Toronto
... if purchased, better keep it forever because the resale value is almost non existent ... I would say it is even worse than any Korean cars.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
162 upvotes
booblehead wrote: ... if purchased, better keep it forever because the resale value is almost non existent ... I would say it is even worse than any Korean cars.
Really? Good to know, but looks like this will be his daily commuter.
Jul 4, 2017
123 posts
139 upvotes
Basically a first generation Chevy Volt in a very expensive suit. These originally listed for over CA$80,000 (although hopefully nobody paid that much).

It's should as reliable as a first generation Chevy Volt, so good.

It's a reasonably quick car (not fast). It's definitely stylish and unique. It has a bit over 200 hp. Even after it switches to the engine, you still have 200 hp because some battery is kept in reserve so it can deliver full power in hybrid mode.

It's a heavy car for its size, so rides well but handling not so much.

You might want to ask some questions at the gm-volt forum. They have an ELR section with a few active owners.
Sep 3, 2006
543 posts
152 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Hi,
Here is an article of car manufactures and their reliabilities table (from Consumer Reports):
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-rel ... newsletter

Second, it is me or I can see it is a 2014 year model? If yes, then it is a 4 yr old car the moment one will buy. IMHO, the 2017 Bolt will be much better option (or wait for 2018 yr model, order now, think later RFD dilemma).
If most of driving is going to happen in the city, Bolt will fit perfectly in that position. It has a range of 380 km per max charge, thus one can go out of town without no problem, up to 150 to 190 km one way.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
162 upvotes
Well to be honest, my friend really does not want a fully EV vehicle as he loves to travel a lot. Hence why he was considering to get a 3 series BMW or CLA250, for the same amount of cash if not more. But thanks for the suggestion I will let him know.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30150 posts
16261 upvotes
Toronto
there are hybrids on the gov't rebate list. For sure, I would not touch a 4 yr old Caddy, esp. without any factory extended warranty.
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4647 upvotes
Montreal
Where did you find an ELR? I see a few around here, stunning car and very unique. Less than 100 were sold and just about all of these were in Quebec because at that time we had the largest rebates for them. So probably a QC car which according to RFD experts is probably a scam, will have it`s odometer rolled back, is probably a salvage rebuilt, will require a new suspension because the roads are terrible, will have rust everywhere and will be about to fall apart soon.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30150 posts
16261 upvotes
Toronto
ottofly wrote: Where did you find an ELR? I see a few around here, stunning car and very unique. Less than 100 were sold and just about all of these were in Quebec because at that time we had the largest rebates for them. So probably a QC car which according to RFD experts is probably a scam, will have it`s odometer rolled back, is probably a salvage rebuilt, will require a new suspension because the roads are terrible, will have rust everywhere and will be about to fall apart soon.
http://www.vlci.ca/used/Cadillac.html

It is likely this one
Temp. Banned
Jun 18, 2008
5095 posts
4647 upvotes
Montreal
Hmmm....no photos 'coming soon'. What colour was it? Also pretty sure most of these still have lots of factory warranty left.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
162 upvotes
But only problem is the KM is a bit high, 103K KM so he is still considering it. We forgot to ask about the warranty, but he will in most case case, buy extended warranty since he is paying dirt cheap with his HELOC.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30150 posts
16261 upvotes
Toronto
kabyLake wrote: Thanks and the car is a nice black color with sweet black color rims. Really a beautiful car (if he gets it).
those are cheapo made in china rim that cost about $250 each. The first owner must have sold off the OEM ones for some cash and put on these crappy ones.

Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30150 posts
16261 upvotes
Toronto
kabyLake wrote: But only problem is the KM is a bit high, 103K KM so he is still considering it. We forgot to ask about the warranty, but he will in most case case, buy extended warranty since he is paying dirt cheap with his HELOC.
buy factory extended warranty if possible. You are likely looking at $4000 at the min.

http://www.cadillaccanada.ca/warranty.html
Last edited by booblehead on Oct 20th, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 22, 2017
367 posts
162 upvotes
booblehead wrote: buy factory extended warranty if possible. You are likely looking at $4000 at the min.

http://www.cadillaccanada.ca/warranty.html
They wouldn't offer factory extended because this vehicle has been discontinued in 2016. Now it makes the buying experience even fragile! I'm not an auto mechanic but what about parts for this car in the future? What if it's hard to get?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
30150 posts
16261 upvotes
Toronto
If that's the case, I would say ask thousands of questions with the aftermarket warranty provider and read and understand what are covered and what are not. In in doubt, get another car (new or used) which could be the better alternative in the longer run.