[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2003
1641 posts
200 upvotes
C-53

2014 Pilot - Brake job

RFD,

Our 2014 Honda Pilot w/ ~95k KM recently had a brake job done. They replaced the front pads and rotors only. The guy said the rear pads are at 30% and can last thru the end of the year. Its stable now at over 100 kph and while braking from that speed etc.

My question is have you guys had any exp with Honda Pilots and/or SUVs of this size and any comments on brake jobs at around 100,000 KM ?? Is that considered normal wear and tear ?? Otherwise the truck has been good. No issues.

Thx guys.
Please thank me if you find this helpful
13 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2561 posts
3444 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Fronts do most of the work, not uncommon for the rears to outlast the fronts. 100k out of a set of pads and rotors is great.
Apr 29, 2007
884 posts
599 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Wow, I don't think I've ever had brakes last 100K!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
There are so many factors on brake wear.....design, component, driver, maintenance, etc.
I have seen original rear brake pads at +180k km.
I have seen some wear out at 40k km.
I have seen rear brake pads only lasting a few thousand kms (i.e. seized ebrake cable or forgot to release the ebrake completely).
It is normal to have rear brake pads still ok at 100k km.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4623 posts
4877 upvotes
GTA
I got 100,000 km and 7 years out of my last set of brakes. Probably could've gone longer, but the front rotors were starting to vibrate pretty badly.
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
2074 posts
2276 upvotes
Toronto
95k km is great for front brakes, anything around 80K km and over is quite normal. Rear brakes you should get a fair bit more as less braking percentage is on the rears.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1051 posts
823 upvotes
I bought a 2017 RX350 last year in May 2020. To my surprise the brakes were almost done... they passed safety, but not by much.
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
12427 posts
2145 upvotes
GTA
mxthor3 wrote: Fronts do most of the work, not uncommon for the rears to outlast the fronts. 100k out of a set of pads and rotors is great.
false. most cars are tuned for rear brake first due to less nose dive....... but really depends on driving style and habbits......
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2012
2364 posts
1827 upvotes
Vaughan, ON
qaz393 wrote: false. most cars are tuned for rear brake first due to less nose dive....... but really depends on driving style and habbits......
FWIW my wife’s CX-5 is having the original rear brakes and rotors replaced shortly at 90,000KM while the original front brakes and rotors still going strong.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7175 posts
9148 upvotes
The NORTH
qaz393 wrote: false. most cars are tuned for rear brake first due to less nose dive....... but really depends on driving style and habbits......
What?? This is totally wrong.

Front vs Rear
Back to physics for a moment, to further understand why the front brakes need to handle so much more heat. When you’re moving forward and you hit the brakes, the center of gravity of the vehicle effectively shifts forward, putting more weight and more momentum on the front tires. The front tires therefore gain more traction, and they can take more braking force to stop the car. Because the front brakes generate up to 75 percent of the vehicle’s stopping force, they generate much more heat, over 500°F in heavy braking.
Nose Dive When Braking
If you are experiencing a nose dive condition with your vehicle, your intuition may tell you to look for an issue with the braking system, when the problem is more likely in the suspension. Any vehicle will nose dive under heavy braking, to a certain extent and the cause of this is called weight transfer.

As you apply brakes while in motion, weight is transferred to the front of the vehicle which forces the front shocks to compress. The same amount of weight transfers away from the rear of the vehicle, which causes the rear struts to expand. The compression of the front shocks lowers the front of the vehicle and the expansion of the rear struts raises the rear. The harder you brake, the more defined this effect becomes.

If you are experiencing more nose diving than normal, you may have a suspension issue.
Feb 7, 2017
176 posts
217 upvotes
100k is typical Honda brake replacement time. To be honest I would be really satisfied if I had to do the brakes at this mileage. Consider yourself lucky. I would have at least serviced the rear brakes for now. Honda rear calipers always gets the pins seized if not maintained annually
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
2561 posts
3444 upvotes
Barrie, ON
I've noticed that with vented fronts and rears I usually get very similar mileage out of both. Solid rears tend to warp once things start getting near end of life. Personal observations.
Oct 20, 2010
621 posts
200 upvotes
Replaced all 4 rotors after 60k on my 2017 pilot that I had. They were warped since 20k. 100k? Lucky I guess