2015 Camry - Key is broken

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2021 6:57 pm
Aug 25, 2005
717 posts
105 upvotes
Mississauga

2015 Camry - Key is broken

2015 Camry -- There is a plastic piece holding the key inside the fob and therefore the key detaches from the fob.
I am sure the dealer is very expensive as they probably want to replace the whole key.
Do I have any other options e.g. by the fob and transfer over the key and the internal parts i.e. battery and chip
7 replies
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
13027 posts
2269 upvotes
Toronto
I got a replacement (aftermarket) key made and programmed with these guys. Looked and felt pretty much like the OEM Lexus key, but without the logo on it. They should be able to source a similar looking key and shell for your Camry. Got it made, while I waited. A lot cheaper than going to the dealership.

http://www.ensunlocks.com/
Deal with it.
Jul 26, 2013
949 posts
952 upvotes
CALGARY
I went through something such as this with my 2012 Civic.
The key basically broke in half and I had to replace it.
I went on eBay and purchased an uncut key with empty remote shell.
It was easy to open the remote shell, remove the internals and move it to the new key. Fortunately this is where the RFID chip that talks to the engine immobilizer is stored, and so this means I didn't require any programming for the new key.
After a little calling around, I was able to have the new key cut at a dealership for something like $2. Worked perfectly. Perhaps this solution will work for your Camry.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143432564504?h ... SwE91dwPI0
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2681 posts
1482 upvotes
Hometown
This might work depending on where your key is broken and what features your fob has...
https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=key+fob&af=%7 ... ab1e2f3e07

If that won't work is possible an Autel MaxiAP AP200 Obd2 Scanner Bluetooth Auto OBDII scanner could program after market key/fobs . The cost would be about 105.00 all in CA for the scanner if you buy from Amazon.COM vs 140.00 plus Tax if you want to support Canadian LOL

Key/fobs range in price from 40 to 60 depending on which one you want. Then you will still have to have a new key cut at a local locksmith. It might be cheaper to buy a fob and have a locksmith program it all. (I have had great luck with USAremote products in the past)

The only advantage the Autel scanner would have is that you would after all is said and done have a incredibly good scanner for the money with great features such as bi-directional controls that many similarly prices scanners do not have.
Aug 25, 2005
717 posts
105 upvotes
Mississauga
Hi Findmesumdealz

Thank you for your answer - I will try your suggestion
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1686 posts
998 upvotes
I had this happen to my 2008 camry. I was able to buy a key fob from amazon.ca and transfer the chip from the old to new and get cut at the dealer. Some dealer cut key for free.. If you in GTA the Woodbridge Toyota dealer did it for me. In 2008 at least there is no need to program the key as long the small chip is inserted on the side pocket of the key fob.

Few things those key fobs from amazon are not that great. They either fall a part after a year or break while they cutting the key.
Aug 25, 2005
717 posts
105 upvotes
Mississauga
comp_freak wrote: I had this happen to my 2008 camry. I was able to buy a key fob from amazon.ca and transfer the chip from the old to new and get cut at the dealer. Some dealer cut key for free.. If you in GTA the Woodbridge Toyota dealer did it for me. In 2008 at least there is no need to program the key as long the small chip is inserted on the side pocket of the key fob.

Few things those key fobs from amazon are not that great. They either fall a part after a year or break while they cutting the key.
HI comp_freak
I will try Woodbridge -- I doubt they will do it for free
Thank you for the suggestion
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1686 posts
998 upvotes
fhirji wrote: HI comp_freak
I will try Woodbridge -- I doubt they will do it for free
Thank you for the suggestion
Oh what I did is call few dealership and ask them before going.