• Oct 2nd, 2020 7:03 am
[OP]
Dec 22, 2013
641 posts
1537 upvotes
Self-Isolation

2015 Elantra Brake and Rotor replacement

Hi Guys,
I am looking to replace the front and rear brakes and rotors on my 2015 Hyundai Elantra. If anyone has a particular Brand (Centric, powerstop, Bosch etc) recommendation. I was planning to buy from either RockAuto.com or Autopartsway.ca.
Also looking for some tips and tricks as this will be the first time I am going to replace the brakes. Anyone with a personal experience of any do's and dont's and comments about potential problems that I should watch out for are welcome.
Thanks
26 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6299 posts
1945 upvotes
BC
The rears will be more difficult for you than the fronts, unless you are already prepared for screwing in the pistons.

Here you go
Others will come in and point out what these guys did wrong.
Such as using an unstrengthened part of the pinch weld for the jack stands, or using lithium grease on the piston seals.

And we'll argue about which type and brand of pads and rotors to get. I say get as close as you can to what it came with from the factory.
Last edited by macnut on Sep 28th, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34491 posts
20530 upvotes
Center of Universe
RA offers the most selection.
I just finished all 4 corners on my Explorer and went with Raybestos.
Sep 16, 2018
21 posts
10 upvotes
I bought a full rear brake and rotor set from https://www.autoshack.ca/. Canadian and mostly free shipping. I got Performance rotors with slotted holes and premium ceramic brake pads. Much cheaper than Napa or any other local parts store. It was made in china but quality was same as any other NA brand though.
Oct 21, 2006
505 posts
295 upvotes
Raybestos are good, akebono is also good, I've had good luck with Wagner in the past also.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
3851 posts
3963 upvotes
GTA
Centric and Raybestos are both good choices. Just don't go with their cheapest line of products (applies to any brand). Get some coated rotors and premium pads.
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2007
4665 posts
2048 upvotes
Ottawa
I've been happy with powerstop ceramics with coated rotors.
Oct 3, 2017
687 posts
517 upvotes
I recently did my car with Bremsen pads and their coated rotors. Look for a local jobber that sells to the public. You might have to check a few since each jobber carries different manufacturers.
Shipping brakes (rotors) from RA is expensive.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2550 posts
2426 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
The first time doing anything is slow so make sure you have all day set aside and don't need the car, it'll reduce the stress and you won't have to rush. My first time ever doing brake work I started on the rear (electronic parking brake) and it was a pain in the ass, but not difficult. Lots of YouTube and prep but still had frustrations. Called a mechanic friend over who helped me out. I'd do it again but would start early in the morning instead of afternoon haha.
Oct 21, 2006
505 posts
295 upvotes
Ecsta wrote: The first time doing anything is slow so make sure you have all day set aside and don't need the car, it'll reduce the stress and you won't have to rush. My first time ever doing brake work I started on the rear (electronic parking brake) and it was a pain in the ass, but not difficult. Lots of YouTube and prep but still had frustrations. Called a mechanic friend over who helped me out. I'd do it again but would start early in the morning instead of afternoon haha.
how did you manage to back off the motor in the rear brakes? did you use a 9v battery?
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2550 posts
2426 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Jigsaw wrote: how did you manage to back off the motor in the rear brakes? did you use a 9v battery?
I have an OBD11 so I put it in service mode (and out of service mode when its complete). My struggle was for some reason I couldn't get the pads + caliper to slide over the rotors no matter what I tried. Struggled for like half an hour. Mechanic friend came over and slid it on in 30 seconds; I still have no idea what I was doing wrong but happy I had help lol.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10846 posts
2685 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Was this on an R or GTI? I had the same issue with my rears. I had to turn in the piston just slightly more then it slid over the rotor but it took me sometime to figure that out.
Ecsta wrote: I have an OBD11 so I put it in service mode (and out of service mode when its complete). My struggle was for some reason I couldn't get the pads + caliper to slide over the rotors no matter what I tried. Struggled for like half an hour. Mechanic friend came over and slid it on in 30 seconds; I still have no idea what I was doing wrong but happy I had help lol.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10846 posts
2685 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
For rotors I would go with the following because the top of the rotor has been painted black which will help it from rusting and looking bad.
Front - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 96&jsn=396
Rear - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... cc=3309796

For pads I would go with Raybestos hybrid pad, I have heard very good things about them, great pads for the price.
Front - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 96&jsn=484
Rear - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 96&jsn=483

Also don't forget to flush your brake fluid while you are at it, it likely needs to be done if you have not done it recently.

rohruaj wrote: Hi Guys,
I am looking to replace the front and rear brakes and rotors on my 2015 Hyundai Elantra. If anyone has a particular Brand (Centric, powerstop, Bosch etc) recommendation. I was planning to buy from either RockAuto.com or Autopartsway.ca.
Also looking for some tips and tricks as this will be the first time I am going to replace the brakes. Anyone with a personal experience of any do's and dont's and comments about potential problems that I should watch out for are welcome.
Thanks
0_o
<_<
>_>
Oct 21, 2006
505 posts
295 upvotes
^ that's a good combo, Canadian Tire used to sell those rotors at a good price, too bad they stopped carrying them :(
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18391 posts
6406 upvotes
Toronto
I would pay someone to have this done. Shop around you should be able to find a garage doing this for $150 for all 4.