• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2016 7:35 pm
[OP]
May 24, 2015
58 posts
45 upvotes
Coquitlam, BC

2015 Ford Flex or 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe XL

Have narrowed down my choice to these two used vehicles. Both have less than 15,000 km's. Santa Fe XL is listed at $34,000 and the Flex is listed at $36,000. Both are fully loaded Limited Models. Flex is an ex-rental and the Santa Fe XL was not. I prefer the styling of the Hyundai, my wife prefers the styling of the Flex. That said, I do like the styling of the Flex as well. Flex has more interior space and cargo volume. Which would you choose and why? The ex-rental thing doesn't concern me too much because of the low km's. CarProof on both cars checks out. Neither have had a claim.

Thanks.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32204 posts
18049 upvotes
Ottawa
Soley based on looks, but I would go with the Santa Fe XL.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2007
1091 posts
50 upvotes
Bolton, ON
Is the Flex AWD?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4051 posts
2998 upvotes
Markham
Flex would be out of warranty earlier so it's one thing to keep in mind but although Flex is sitting on a pretty ancient arhitecture I still kind of like the boxy look.
Sep 27, 2009
115 posts
41 upvotes
Owned a 2010 Flex limited Ecoboost. Dream to drive, huge back seat, tons of power and a beast in the snow with winter tires. Fairly reliable ... Had the PTU redone under warranty and some front end stuff. Volvo platform. Safe. Bit hard on gas. My F150 V8 is equal or better. Unquestionably unique, just remember that when you go to sell it unless you end up driving it into the ground.
Deal Guru
Jul 17, 2008
10478 posts
3180 upvotes
Flex being an ex-rental should concern you. You have obviously not seen how some people drive rentals (and I won't be a hypocrite, I do drive rentals a lot harder than my personal cars as well).

I'm voting for the Hyundai

That being said, if you will drive the car a lot and burn through a lot of KM's, then the ford should be ok too, as you will burn through enough km's to see if any problems happen if it still has warranty.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2280 posts
1527 upvotes
Markham
If you can accept the styling of the Flex, you do get probably the only crossover that can somewhat compete with a minivan in terms of space efficiency. Its the only CUV I know of that has a somewhat usable trunk area even with the 3rd row seats up. The only SUV with a 3rd row that does better is a lengthy Chevrolet Suburban but that doesn't fit a normal parking spot. The Santa Fe is a lot more typical of a CUV so its 3rd row is more cramped and with the 3rd row up the trunk space less usable than the Flex. I would personally go with the Flex, its a way more usable vehicle especially if you're intending to use those 3rd row seats. Apart from its controversial looks, the only other item about the Flex is its very long and its slightly more trickier and more clumsy to park than the smaller Santa Fe.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4225 posts
858 upvotes
Ottawa
Buy the Ford if you like repairs.

The Hyundai is far more reliable, according to truedelta.com
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20560 posts
4608 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Buy the Flex for its brilliant powerplant, space, comfort, easy to enter and exit the car and easy to drive. Rented one last month and despite its size, felt like driving a smaller vehicle. Also riding in the second row felt like you was in a limo. Lots of room. But if you plan to use the third row for passengers, get a minivan. The Santa Fe has less third row legroom than the Flex.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Sep 9, 2009
75 posts
6 upvotes
Oakville
I own a Flex (2014) .. best vehicle I have ever driven. Currently at ~48k and bought it new.
It's literally a La-z-Boy with a steering wheel. Phenomenal comfort and drive. No issues with reliability or any of that sorts (as suggested above), just basic maintenance (oil changes, etc).
Family enjoys the rear seating as well ... more comfortable and quieter than a Sienna and Outlander (their quotes).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)