• Oct 6th, 2019 8:59 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 18, 2006
161 posts
109 upvotes

2015 Jeep GC Diesel

Own this beast and it has started to give me headaches. Constant CEL on or messages regarding filter about to or clogged.

Local dealership doesn’t know what is causing it and just do a regen before giving it back to me.

Still owe about $34k on the financing. Mileage is 250k.

Looking for options:

1. A good diesel mechanic around Newmarket, ON
2. If issues persist, how can I reduce the finance settlement hit (most anyone Chrysler dealer willing to do is $20k if I take their newer vehicle)
3. Any options to get this off my hands without a significant hit?

I should add that I will need a replacement and would prefer Japanese, then European and domestic last. Basically want a vehicle that stays out of the shop more and costs less to maintain.

Also willing to consider EV as this will be a second car at home.
14 replies
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
2585 posts
1413 upvotes
ontario
Look into a delete. Green diesel engineering offers one for the GC. You will likely want the offroad option that eliminates the dpf. Speak to them about your issues.

A deleted diesel will last another 250k, your intake manifold will be clean and all emission related issues will disappear

As to your issue its anyone guess with having access to your vehicle. My guess is the dpf is on it's way out. They are not cheap to replace hence I suggested a delete
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
9806 posts
4000 upvotes
I am still trying to wrap my head around owing $34k on a 4 year old Jeep with 250k on it......

Did you buy new?
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
16194 posts
14246 upvotes
Richmond Hill
esoxhntr wrote: Look into a delete. Green diesel engineering offers one for the GC. You will likely want the offroad option that eliminates the dpf. Speak to them about your issues.

A deleted diesel will last another 250k, your intake manifold will be clean and all emission related issues will disappear

As to your issue its anyone guess with having access to your vehicle. My guess is the dpf is on it's way out. They are not cheap to replace hence I suggested a delete
Was about to respond with the same. Do a full delete and tune and you'll be worry free for a long time.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4031 posts
2446 upvotes
Ontario
Gutty96 wrote: I am still trying to wrap my head around owing $34k on a 4 year old Jeep with 250k on it......

Did you buy new?
People don't want any vehicle with 1/4 million Km on it. At least with diesel there is some interest.

Local Jeep dealer was selling a 2014 Summit Diesel with 288k km for $15k as-is so $20k seems in line with that if OP is getting all other incentives against new.
[OP]
Mar 18, 2006
161 posts
109 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: I am still trying to wrap my head around owing $34k on a 4 year old Jeep with 250k on it......

Did you buy new?
Yes, brand new with 9 Kms on it!

It had all the comfort features on it hence the hefty price tag.
[OP]
Mar 18, 2006
161 posts
109 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Was about to respond with the same. Do a full delete and tune and you'll be worry free for a long time.
But won’t modifying emission controls put me offside with the law?

This is my first diesel and I don’t know “anyone”. All shops I’m calling are saying I could be fined $10k if MTO inspects plus the ship that did the mod also gets the same fine!!?!
Mar 11, 2019
306 posts
177 upvotes
These things should be recalled people who bought the should get the money back and they should be sent to the VW graveyards.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
2585 posts
1413 upvotes
ontario
sprinter wrote: But won’t modifying emission controls put me offside with the law?

This is my first diesel and I don’t know “anyone”. All shops I’m calling are saying I could be fined $10k if MTO inspects plus the ship that did the mod also gets the same fine!!?!
Scare tactics and they want their money. Emission issues make them a lot of money.

When is the last time you were inspected by the MTO in your Grand Cherokee? MTO inspects heavy duty trucks and those with yellow stickers towing heavy loads. Not families in their SUV. I bet many dont even know the GC came in a diesel

There are a ton of diesels running around deleted, it is the best thing you can do to them for reliability and longevity. If and when my diesel Colorado starts having issues (and I am out of warranty) I know what I am doing.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4031 posts
2446 upvotes
Ontario
sprinter wrote: Yes, brand new with 9 Kms on it!

It had all the comfort features on it hence the hefty price tag.
To be fair you could have had issues (major maintenance) with a gas version also with those km and at least you will have saved a bunch on fuel with the diesel.

I have a V6 gas 2015 GC and I am happy with mine. Its a very solid vehicle.

My advice would be to stick with it and try to sort out the message issues. Powertrain is probably essentially solid and as others have said can go on another 100k km plus.

Best thing you can do for a diesel engine is drive it plenty and you have done that.
Mar 11, 2019
306 posts
177 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote:
To be fair you could have had issues (major maintenance) with a gas version also with those km and at least you will have saved a bunch on fuel with the diesel.

I have a V6 2015 GC and I am happy with mine. Its a very solid vehicle.

My advice would be to stick with it and try to sort out the message issues. Powertrain is probably essentially solid and as others have said can go on another 100k km plus.

Best thing you can do for a diesel engine is drive it plenty and you have done that.
Are you happy they lied to you about the emmisons and fuel economy? I hope you get a pay out and extended warranty through the class action like the US but they should be buying these back like VW had to.

The emmisons systems are there for a reason we shouldn't be disabling this because we cant afford the repairs.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
4031 posts
2446 upvotes
Ontario
jintau wrote: Are you happy they lied to you about the emmisons and fuel economy? I hope you get a pay out and extended warranty through the class action like the US but they should be buying these back like VW had to.

The emmisons systems are there for a reason we shouldn't be disabling this because we cant afford the repairs.
I am getting better fuel economy than EPA figures. I didn't buy a diesel because I do not do enough km to offset the higher service costs with the fuel savings of diesel.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14045 posts
8133 upvotes
Toronto
sprinter wrote: Still owe about $34k on the financing. Mileage is 250k.
Holy underwater Batman. I hope you have a snorkel
Mar 11, 2019
306 posts
177 upvotes
Martin (deal addict) wrote: I am getting better fuel economy than EPA figures. I didn't buy a diesel because I do not do enough km to offset the higher service costs with the fuel savings of diesel.
I thought you had said previously yours was a diesel in error and I see now you said gas.
Feb 16, 2016
652 posts
247 upvotes
Casselman, Ontario
Go with a full delete (def, egr, swirl flaps, dpf) tune. I highly recommend Malone. You can also remove the dpf after the delete for better mileage. I suggest keeping the cat because they can smell after a delete...