2015 VW Golf infotainment dead after jump start

• Last Updated:
  • May 30th, 2020 5:44 pm
[OP]
Jan 8, 2020
60 posts
127 upvotes

2015 VW Golf infotainment dead after jump start

Has anyone experienced a similar situation? The infotainment system was working fine even when the battery was dead. I've tried to keep the power button pressed for over a minute but nothing.
Thanks
32 replies
Sep 25, 2018
718 posts
1341 upvotes
Possible that your battery us very dead so there isn't enough power to start the infotainment system. Happened to me before once. Charge up your battery with a battery charger (or, drive like 20 hours in a row), then pop it back in to see if everything works fine.

You may need a new battery soon.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1286 posts
1544 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Infotainment won't work if the battery is totally dead. So you've either misdiagnosed a dead battery (Probable) or you've blown a fuse somewhere during your attempted 'jump'
[OP]
Jan 8, 2020
60 posts
127 upvotes
But it was working right before the jump start, if there was not enough power why would it work before? I went around 1.5 hrs to recharge it, shouldn't it be charged enough by now?
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1286 posts
1544 upvotes
Barrie, ON
lasagne wrote: What do I look for?
No fuse list in the manual booklet you got from VW? They always had one tucked in there on any of the VWs I've owned. If not look for the fuse diagram online. Shouldn't be very hard.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11298 posts
3037 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Very possible you blew the fuse for the radio or at least that would be best situation. Or maybe you fried something during the jump which hopefully you did not.

Check the VW Owners manual there should be a page or two that tells you what each fuse is and where its located. If not it should be online somewhere.
lasagne wrote: But it was working right before the jump start, if there was not enough power why would it work before? I went around 1.5 hrs to recharge it, shouldn't it be charged enough by now?
0_o
<_<
>_>
Nov 26, 2012
328 posts
98 upvotes
Calgary
Look at your manual and look for the fuse that corresponds to the infotainment system. Pull the fuse out and look at it to see if it's dead (you can see a physical break inside if it's dead), or if you are not sure, use a multimeter to check.
Feb 8, 2010
371 posts
301 upvotes
lasagne wrote: Has anyone experienced a similar situation? The infotainment system was working fine even when the battery was dead. I've tried to keep the power button pressed for over a minute but nothing.
Thanks
Hey, I have an infotainment unit took from 2018 WV beetle. It is very likely compatible with your VW golf. If yours is fried and you are in Toronto, pickup from my home for $50 or a case of beer.

The unit is like new, less than 10 hours of total use. I replaced it with an android unit.

[OP]
Jan 8, 2020
60 posts
127 upvotes
Weird, the manual didn't have a diagram but only a few pages explaining how to access/replace a fuse.

I found this https://www.autogenius.info/volkswagen- ... x-diagram/

and tried to check fuses F10/SC10 (front information display control head) and F12/SC12 (Information electronics control module 1). They seem fine.
Capture.JPG
IMG_20200414_094314.jpg
Did I check the right ones?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4517 posts
2786 upvotes
Gotham
Some VW radios have fuses on the rear of the head unit. Yeah really. You may need to remove the radio to replace the fuse if this applies to you.

I should also mention that I had a power on problem with my radio and it wasn't a fuse. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it worked. I'm not sure why.

I have an Audi, not a VW, but very similar.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
8225 posts
1958 upvotes
Toronto
lasagne wrote: But it was working right before the jump start, if there was not enough power why would it work before? I went around 1.5 hrs to recharge it, shouldn't it be charged enough by now?
If your battery was dead, you need to question why? Driving around may be enough to recharge it but maybe not. A battery charger is almost always the simplest option to recharge it.

Either way, I would switch everything off, disconnect battery correctly, leave everything sit for 10 or 20 minutes and then reconnect battery.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2707 posts
533 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
it might be possible that either your alternator is bad or your battery is no longer holding a charge. Do you have a multimeter that you can use to measure battery voltage? There are reports on the mk7 forums that the OEM battery only lasts 2-3 years. In your case you got 5 years out of it which is about the lifespan of a battery.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28799 posts
9289 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Very possible you blew the fuse for the radio or at least that would be best situation. Or maybe you fried something during the jump which hopefully you did not.

Check the VW Owners manual there should be a page or two that tells you what each fuse is and where its located. If not it should be online somewhere.
batcave wrote: Some VW radios have fuses on the rear of the head unit. Yeah really. You may need to remove the radio to replace the fuse if this applies to you.

I should also mention that I had a power on problem with my radio and it wasn't a fuse. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it worked. I'm not sure why.

I have an Audi, not a VW, but very similar.
^What these guys said. These vehicles do have electronics sophisticated enough to shutdown certain items when it knows the battery is weak/not charging or if there is an alternator issue... In the case of an alternator issue you should also get the light on, in the dash. However shutdown or delay of these non-essential electronics should only be temporary until the battery gets up to charge--if you drive on the highway a short while they should reactivate unless the battery or alternator are bad. In these cases you should get a DTC setting though.

Otherwise you may have blown a fuse or worse fried some electronics (either the head unit or one of the gateways). If you've already checked the fuses, do what batcave says and disconnect the battery for some time (might as well take that opportunity to connect a charger and charge it up), and then reconnect and hopefully it restarts. If the battery is bad, replace it ASAP.

One thing to always remember for the future. A tip for everyone not just the OP. Whenever you are jump starting either with your car to another dead car or vice versa--always, always, turn off all the non-essential electronics like the stereo and HVAC. This will prevent any surges from possibly "frying" such components which can and does occasionally happen. Hopefully you haven't done that in this case but just a word of warning. This goes for factory stuff as well as aftermarket.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28799 posts
9289 upvotes
bargain man wrote: There are reports on the mk7 forums that the OEM battery only lasts 2-3 years. In your case you got 5 years out of it which is about the lifespan of a battery.
Yeah because these cars cook the batteries. Engine bay gets way too hot, esp. after shutdown, battery has no chance to last that long. The older cars with the VR6 (Mk5 .:R32, A3 & TT 3.2L, etc.) have the battery in the trunk which is a much better idea. I believe there might have been a TSB for early battery replacement but sounds like OP is out of warranty and I don't think that TSB actually extended the warranty for the battery either. Temp probably wasn't a problem for the non-GTI Golf in previous years but the 1.8T and 1.4T probably have an engine bay that's just as hot :(

Battery really should be in the trunk in these vehicles--one they don't need an extra 50lb up front and on the driver's side :rolleyes: Two, the batteries just get cooked in the front unfortunately. In the Mk5 hatches, some of them you could relocate the battery to the rear by getting the battery box from the VR6 cars and running the wiring and stuff yourself. However it's a bit of a pricey job to do this and that battery box is not easy to source on the used market either (and buying the OEM part new ain't cheap even though it is just a plastic box). Not sure if this is a possibility in the Mk6 and Mk7 cars as the cutout may not be in the trunk at all given I don't think any of them came from the factory with the battery in the rear.

Oh BTW OP, looks like there is battery SOC readout available in some cars:
[OP]
Jan 8, 2020
60 posts
127 upvotes
Today the car wouldn't start again so I called CAA and had the battery tested and replaced. Infotainment system still dead though Smiling Face With Horns I don't think I'll risk taking stuff apart, I'm not good enough and with my luck lately I'd probably do more damage. I guess I'll bring it to a VW dealership when the situation is a bit more normal, I'm not driving these days anyway. Thanks everyone for your help
ES_Revenge wrote:

One thing to always remember for the future. A tip for everyone not just the OP. Whenever you are jump starting either with your car to another dead car or vice versa--always, always, turn off all the non-essential electronics like the stereo and HVAC. This will prevent any surges from possibly "frying" such components which can and does occasionally happen. Hopefully you haven't done that in this case but just a word of warning. This goes for factory stuff as well as aftermarket.
I did turn off the infotainment system just before the jump start (it was still working just before), that's why I can't understand why it's not turning on.
Last edited by lasagne on Apr 14th, 2020 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 19, 2010
611 posts
249 upvotes
Calgary
does anything else not work? ie cig lighter? I am going to say its most likely a fuse..
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28799 posts
9289 upvotes
lasagne wrote: I did turn off the infotainment system just before the jump start (it was still working just before), that's why I can't understand why it's not turning on.
Damn, well that's not good :( I'm guessing you don't know anyone with VCDS or OBDEleven? When the battery was replaced, how long was it left disconnected? Was it at least 10 mins?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15064 posts
2646 upvotes
You have a blown fuse. Check all your fuses.

What equipment are you using to check the fuses and how are you checking?