• Dec 31st, 2020 1:44 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1349 posts
1469 upvotes

2016/2017 VW Touareg

Anyone have reviews on this car? Looking to get a used one. How's the reliability after 100,000km ?
20 replies
Oct 26, 2014
114 posts
72 upvotes
Bradford, ON
Did not mention whether Gas or TDI. But I've owned a 2013 Touareg 3.6 and it's been absolutely bulletproof during the 50.000 kms of ownership. I am just about to roll over 100.000 kms though so cannot say much about that, however, this is not your typical VW, they are built well and have no known reliability issues (again on the 3.6 powerplants). The only issues I've had was AC drain blocked which I fixed myself and one of the rear door keyless sensor malfunction, rendering all other doors inoperable, so need to do press lock/unlock from keyfob instead. It needs a new door handle basically in order to restore the feature.
I must say though, the VR6 variant is not the most dynamic vehicle, so if you are looking a fun drive, go for TDI if any are still available.
Jan 20, 2003
162 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
neluabaclia wrote: Did not mention whether Gas or TDI. But I've owned a 2013 Touareg 3.6 and it's been absolutely bulletproof during the 50.000 kms of ownership. I am just about to roll over 100.000 kms though so cannot say much about that, however, this is not your typical VW, they are built well and have no known reliability issues (again on the 3.6 powerplants). The only issues I've had was AC drain blocked which I fixed myself and one of the rear door keyless sensor malfunction, rendering all other doors inoperable, so need to do press lock/unlock from keyfob instead. It needs a new door handle basically in order to restore the feature.
I must say though, the VR6 variant is not the most dynamic vehicle, so if you are looking a fun drive, go for TDI if any are still available.
I can vouch for that. I have the same vehicle with about 115K and have had even fewer issues. Very solidly built.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1274 posts
1523 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Last model year with the 3.0 diesel was 2015. Anything after that is a gasser. 3.6 is a great engine, can't go wrong with that choice.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1349 posts
1469 upvotes
Forgot, sorry. I'm looking at the 3.6 gas. Basically look for a vehicle that can tow a trailer and for a used vehicle SUV pricepoint seems decent, since it can tow 7700lb. Compared to a used Q7 lol. Is maintenance expensive on the Touareg? All the vehicles I see are around 80,000+km for around $30,000.

Surprised the Atlas is a larger car and tows less than the Touareg.
May 3, 2010
189 posts
67 upvotes
Brampton
I would love to own VW Toureg. Not familiar with diesel is the reason I am hesitant but with extended warranty should suffice my confident for VW Toureg especially V6 diesel.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28715 posts
9163 upvotes
simplypop wrote: Surprised the Atlas is a larger car and tows less than the Touareg.
The Atlas is based on MQB--it's an augmented version of other transverse smaller cars including the Golf. It was not really designed to be an "SUV" but more of a family vehicle that "isn't a minivan". It was very much designed with a North American, on-road, family use in mind. It's basically just a car/minivan made to look like an SUV because that's what people are buying these days. If it were the 90s they'd have made it into a minivan no doubt lol. Now this is not a hit against the Atlas--it's a big seller and very successful for VW and most owners love the vehicle. To be sure the vast majority of people buying these types of vehicles are not buying them for their offroad prowess and capabilities. While some might consider the towing, most will still not be doing much of that. Hence why this vehicle sells far more today than T'Reg could ever muster even in its highest sales year in US.

The 2nd gen T'Reg is based on PL72--a very rugged and toughened platform that was designed at the start (since PL71) as being a true off-road capable SUV. It's the same platform as the Cayenne and Q7 (well the Q7 actually skipped PL72, but first gen was based on PL71) as you know, and this is a lot different from the more "car like" Atlas roots. T'reg famously was set up to tow a 747 (in V10 TDI form). This platform is probably about as close as unibody gets to being a truck. So really it shouldn't be all that surprising it's way more capable in this dimension than an Atlas could ever hope to be.
https://carbuzz.com/news/off-road-icons ... en-touareg

The latest gen Cayenne, Q7, and T'Reg are based on MLBevo which is a modified version of regular MLB which forms the basis for cars like A4/A5 as well as Q5. The T'reg of course we don't get here anymore and for VAG that's a good thing because, as said, look at those sales numbers for Atlas. Stil these vehicles being based on augmented versions of modular car platforms, I don't think they're exactly what they once were. They still have some off-road capability but don't thing it's the same as the PL7x days either. I mean no one is buying an Urus or Bentayga (also based on MLBevo) to off-road in, and these and the Cayenne are mostly just rich-people SUVs that go insanely fast, that's the main purpose lol.
Jan 20, 2003
162 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Great summary. I'm looking to replace my Touareg with something larger (i.e., with 3 rows), but still need the towing capacity. That leaves very few choices, unfortunately.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2956 upvotes
keenland
mxthor3 wrote: Last model year with the 3.0 diesel was 2015. Anything after that is a gasser. 3.6 is a great engine, can't go wrong with that choice.
i would love to find a '15 TDI (3.0) that wasnt priced like almost new...hoping to find in Cayenne..(even better)
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1274 posts
1523 upvotes
Barrie, ON
cardguy wrote: i would love to find a '15 TDI (3.0) that wasnt priced like almost new...hoping to find in Cayenne..(even better)
The Cayenne is the one you want. That interior!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2956 upvotes
keenland
mxthor3 wrote: The Cayenne is the one you want. That interior!
I actually have one waiting in the wings..it is promised to me after my friend is done with it ('15), equal to trade offer from Porche on it ,for a new one. He upgrades every 5-7 years...this last one, he bought the diesel because I told him to. I own a few Jetta TDI's. He absolutely loves it...great ride, great power (for him) and highway driving is actually great. He got the fix and the cheque..I will remove the fix and all the other def crap..and chip just stage 1 ..that thing will last me the rest of my life as a second car.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13784 posts
7943 upvotes
Toronto
My father in law had a Touareg TDI, I think it was a 2013, it was great.

He traded it back as part of the TDI scandal with over 150,000 Km on it

No major problems that I recall

That power train was Smoooooth.

It’s a travesty they stopped selling it here and replaced it with the POS Atlas
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
28715 posts
9163 upvotes
Swerny wrote: My father in law had a Touareg TDI, I think it was a 2013, it was great.

He traded it back as part of the TDI scandal with over 150,000 Km on it

No major problems that I recall

That power train was Smoooooth.
He proabably should have taken the settlement $$$ and kept it! Can't get vehicles like this anymore--not the T'reg and not many diesels (or any VAG diesels) either.
Swerny wrote: It’s a travesty they stopped selling it here and replaced it with the POS Atlas
For enthusiasts and people that really like the T'reg indeed; for VW it's the other way around! Max sales year in US for T'Reg was 2012 with 10,500 sold. Atlas OTOH sold 27,000 in its first year in US (2017) and sold 81,500--nearly 8x as many as T'Reg's highest year--in 2019.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13784 posts
7943 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote: He proabably should have taken the settlement $$$ and kept it! Can't get vehicles like this anymore--not the T'reg and not many diesels (or any VAG diesels) either.

For enthusiasts and people that really like the T'reg indeed; for VW it's the other way around! Max sales year in US for T'Reg was 2012 with 10,500 sold. Atlas OTOH sold 27,000 in its first year in US (2017) and sold 81,500--nearly 8x as many as T'Reg's highest year--in 2019.
Yes the sales numbers make sense, Americanizing it along with the Passat

More appliances

The Touareg was a lot more $ than the Atlas though
Dec 30, 2019
82 posts
37 upvotes
I'm considering one with the 3.6L VR6 and 8spd Aisin. It will replace my Nissan Frontier & Subaru Impreza.

I'm just a bit weary of VW and I'm just not so sure I need something quite so luxurious.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1274 posts
1523 upvotes
Barrie, ON
cardguy wrote: I actually have one waiting in the wings..it is promised to me after my friend is done with it ('15), equal to trade offer from Porche on it ,for a new one. He upgrades every 5-7 years...this last one, he bought the diesel because I told him to. I own a few Jetta TDI's. He absolutely loves it...great ride, great power (for him) and highway driving is actually great. He got the fix and the cheque..I will remove the fix and all the other def crap..and chip just stage 1 ..that thing will last me the rest of my life as a second car.
The only gas vehicle I own are my boat and lawn tractor :) I hear ya about the diesels, especially when tuned/deleted.
May 3, 2010
189 posts
67 upvotes
Brampton
Macfuzza wrote: I'm considering one with the 3.6L VR6 and 8spd Aisin. It will replace my Nissan Frontier & Subaru Impreza.

I'm just a bit weary of VW and I'm just not so sure I need something quite so luxurious.
Get the one with diesel powertrain. Otherwise you can get vr6 powertrain with Atlas 7 seater or Atlas cross sport. If you want vr6 , then get Atlas. You will get more features and solid to drive.

The only tempting about Toureg is diesel. Other than that, it is not worth investment especially on used VW that will be maintenance pricey unless it is worth sticking out for such as v6 diesel or v8 either way.
Oct 26, 2014
114 posts
72 upvotes
Bradford, ON
MalikBrother wrote: Get the one with diesel powertrain. Otherwise you can get vr6 powertrain with Atlas 7 seater or Atlas cross sport. If you want vr6 , then get Atlas. You will get more features and solid to drive.

The only tempting about Toureg is diesel. Other than that, it is not worth investment especially on used VW that will be maintenance pricey unless it is worth sticking out for such as v6 diesel or v8 either way.
I would argue that if one is looking for a lower purchase price and reliability, then Touareg VR6 is still a solid choice as opposed to Atlas.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15896 posts
13737 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mxthor3 wrote: The only gas vehicle I own are my boat and lawn tractor :) I hear ya about the diesels, especially when tuned/deleted.
Only gas vehicle I own is a 911 :)