• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2020 4:52 pm
[OP]
Nov 25, 2009
440 posts
184 upvotes
Terrace

2016 ES350 Brake replacement & rotors cost

Hello, I was given this quote on all 4 brakes replacement and rotor machining. For some reason $930 for all brakes and rotors feel a little expensive. This is quoted by the Toyota dealer.

I didn't go for the brakes yet since they're still at 20% and I'm not driving much because of WFH (maybe go for it in a month or two). However they scamming me/trying to charge me Lexus prices? How much should it really be?
35 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20212 posts
2896 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Perhaps I'm missing something, cause I'm not mechanic, but looking at Rock Auto that does seem insane. You can get a the centric front and rear pads and rotor kits for 240 + shipping. They aren't even replacing the rotors, they're just machining them. Find a reputable mechanic and get the work done elsewhere.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11242 posts
3498 upvotes
Toronto
Not surprise, dealership always charge 30 - 40% more than if you bring it to some indy shops.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1093 posts
370 upvotes
Vancouver
Can't be sure without actually looking at it, but when they say 20% there's usually still a ton of life left. You can probably have them check it again next oil change and see where you're at. But yes, cheapest for you would be to grab whatever pads on Rockauto and getting a shop do it for you cash.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18336 posts
6367 upvotes
Toronto
Brand new Brakes and Rotors will be $300-$400 and add another $150 for labor. So total is around $550 for new rotors not just machined.
Aug 30, 2020
207 posts
253 upvotes
Never got the "Cheaper on rock auto lol stealership" comments.

It's like comparing a Canada A grade steak you bought at Price Chopper to a Canada Prime Waygu steak at a butcher. Are they both steaks? Sure.

Not saying all aftermarket parts are bad, but OEM parts are often pricier for a reason. I've had aftermarket pads that were noisy, dusty, weak performance, and didn't last as long. And for rotors, I would much rather machine an OEM rotor than replace with an aftermarket. My current car has OEM rotors over 150 000km because they weren't abused (Low-medium braking over a longer distance instead of sudden sharp braking at the last minute, engine braking instead of long braking down hills, doing a few brakes around the neighbourhood to clean rotors off after a rainstorm or car wash) and no sign of warp or brake fade. Meanwhile, I bought a pair of aftermarket rotors on my previous car and they warped in less than 10k km from regular driving.

OP, those are prices for dealership labour and OEM parts. A shop could probably do it for $500 or less. But even with 20% left that's a lot of life. Depending on rim design you could probably look at the pads and determine the level yourself.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2018
1596 posts
1556 upvotes
GTA
Just had my 2013 RX350 original brakes checked last month where my independent mechanic told me I had 20% brakes left. He told me to come back in a year to replace. The lexus dealer recommended two years ago the same brakes needed replacement soon. Point is the dealer service department is their biggest profit maker.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2009
440 posts
184 upvotes
Terrace
O i see, in that case considering I'm probably going to put in 400km a month this winter I'll probably opt to hold off till end of year...

Or maybe I'll find a deal during boxing Day and black Friday and get the brakes/rotors!

Thanks a lot guys Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27627 posts
7976 upvotes
LOL brakes are always at "20%" when you go to a stealership, or most other "mechanics" for that matter. If they're not 20%, they're "nearly metal on metal!" :lol: Brake jobs are the oldest scam in the stealership playbook. I would make sure your brakes are actually 20% before doing anything.

Also at first I thought that price is actually pretty cheap for dealership pricing and being a Lexus. But since the ES350 is just a glorified Camry the brakes are not pricey. But your thread title (and thoughts perhaps) are misleading. I see why it's less than I expected and also more of a ripoff lol. You aren't getting new rotors for that price. You're getting pads and the rotors you have are being machined not replaced. That's why it's "only" $1k :lol: Good ol' stealership tricks. I bet to replace the rotors you're looking at $1500-2k at stealer.

FWIW I just paid around $600 pre-tax for brakes all around for a car, pads & rotors--parts only. But your Camry there seems like much cheaper from what ppl are saying--probably gonna be $400-500 P&L at an indy mechanic? So overall it's not so bad seems like you can do brakes real cheap on this car. But again your brakes may be at like 50-80%, don't ever trust this stuff about "20%" unless you see the pads yourself.
Oct 21, 2006
501 posts
293 upvotes
op I wonder how much they're charging to resurface the rotors vs. replacement. I suspect by the time you factor in the labour cost to resurface, it would be very similar to that of getting new rotors. Without a doubt new ones would last longer than ones from 2016.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2004
1093 posts
370 upvotes
Vancouver
lawonga wrote: O i see, in that case considering I'm probably going to put in 400km a month this winter I'll probably opt to hold off till end of year...

Or maybe I'll find a deal during boxing Day and black Friday and get the brakes/rotors!

Thanks a lot guys Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
At 400km/month you probably don't need brakes until a year or two after. Next time you go have them show and measure how much pad is left. Then you'd get a better idea of how long it'd last.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
3180 posts
1889 upvotes
DaveTheDude wrote: Just had my 2013 RX350 original brakes checked last month where my independent mechanic told me I had 20% brakes left. He told me to come back in a year to replace. The lexus dealer recommended two years ago the same brakes needed replacement soon. Point is the dealer service department is their biggest profit maker.
Point is the dealer collision department is their biggest profit maker.
[OP]
Nov 25, 2009
440 posts
184 upvotes
Terrace
ES_Revenge wrote: LOL brakes are always at "20%" when you go to a stealership, or most other "mechanics" for that matter. If they're not 20%, they're "nearly metal on metal!" :lol: Brake jobs are the oldest scam in the stealership playbook. I would make sure your brakes are actually 20% before doing anything.

Also at first I thought that price is actually pretty cheap for dealership pricing and being a Lexus. But since the ES350 is just a glorified Camry the brakes are not pricey. But your thread title (and thoughts perhaps) are misleading. I see why it's less than I expected and also more of a ripoff lol. You aren't getting new rotors for that price. You're getting pads and the rotors you have are being machined not replaced. That's why it's "only" $1k :lol: Good ol' stealership tricks. I bet to replace the rotors you're looking at $1500-2k at stealer.

FWIW I just paid around $600 pre-tax for brakes all around for a car, pads & rotors--parts only. But your Camry there seems like much cheaper from what ppl are saying--probably gonna be $400-500 P&L at an indy mechanic? So overall it's not so bad seems like you can do brakes real cheap on this car. But again your brakes may be at like 50-80%, don't ever trust this stuff about "20%" unless you see the pads yourself.
Yeah I agree, it does seem sketchy... I specced the parts out and got a quote from an indie shop. By the way, the ES350 WAS a glorified Camry until the 2013 year, and now it's just a glorified Avalon Smiling Face With Open Mouth

I could get an 'POWER STOP CRK6480 Evolution Geomet Coated Kit' (the most expensive rotor + pad combo before hitting the drilled & slotted rotors) on RockAuto for $240 before tax... labor is $200 from my quote. Reddit seems to be OK with the 'power stop' brand (except for the drilled ones), but I'm not too sure.

I could get brembo/akebono stuff for around the same price as this dealership job!
[OP]
Nov 25, 2009
440 posts
184 upvotes
Terrace
someone16 wrote: At 400km/month you probably don't need brakes until a year or two after. Next time you go have them show and measure how much pad is left. Then you'd get a better idea of how long it'd last.
7 months ago at my last service they told me:
40% front, 35% rears

now it is at:
20% front, 20% rears

so yeah, probably last a while! although I'll probably look to get them replaced soon anyway so I don't forget, if I find some good deals this black friday/boxing day!
Jun 15, 2015
95 posts
44 upvotes
Winnipeg,MB
My 2015 camry only 80km, and I went to changed my oil last week. Toyota Mechanic told me to replace front and rear brake, it will cost $1000. When I asked how long it will last, I saw the guy very awkward look sales and his student each other, then said 2month.