Automotive

2016 Honda Fit vs 2017 Toyota Corolla iM

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2016 1:30 pm
[OP]
Member
Dec 24, 2005
485 posts
68 upvotes

2016 Honda Fit vs 2017 Toyota Corolla iM

We're looking for a car that can be used as a second commuter, as well as one that can fit up to 5 people (2 of 3 kids with car seats), but also one that can be used to help the older one learn to drive in a few years. We've had a Honda Fit before, but it was previous generation. Never owned a Toyota, but we've heard from our mechanic friend that they are the cars that cost him the most business since they're almost never worked on. Here is what we've liked so far:

Honda - $3000 cheaper for fully loaded model (we want the navigation), side camera for oncoming traffic in blind spot, salesperson (which means nothing in the long run), roomy
Toyota - better financing rate, camera above front mirror that helps with lane leaving and stops the car if someone is in front, colour (which again, means very little)

Haven't yet test driven the Toyota. Anyways, my question is asking your experiences with these cars.
39 replies
Member
Oct 16, 2015
394 posts
232 upvotes
Quebec
The Fit is small for five people - so is the Corolla iM to be honest but at least it is bigger than the Fit (width and length). Also, do you really need the hatchback? You can save a significant sum by opting for the regular Corolla sedan rather than the iM.

I have a friend with a Scion iM (prior to it being rebadged this year as a Toyota) with the 6-speed manual. He likes the vehicle, loves the sound system, looks and fuel economy, but finds it quite slow, the clutch a bit awkward and the Eco engine prefers premium fuel. A work colleague with a Corolla sedan/CVT has nothing but praise for the vehicle,
Sr. Member
User avatar
Mar 2, 2015
804 posts
161 upvotes
Edmonton
I actually recommend the new Honda Civic hatchback over these two, as it has a nicer look and more features. But between these two I would go with Honda Fit because quality is higher and its all bigger. Toyota's are reliable, but last few years there have been so many recalls.
[OP]
Member
Dec 24, 2005
485 posts
68 upvotes
Thanks for the reply.

At the dealership, we noticed that the sedan is < $1000 cheaper than the hatchback, which, over 72 months is negligible....plus we like the look of it better.

Good to know about the speed. As a family man, I may not need it....but, when I'm out on my own, perhapsGrinning Face
[OP]
Member
Dec 24, 2005
485 posts
68 upvotes
Thank lg

We actually went to the Honda dealership with that in mind, but it starts at the price of the fully loaded Fit....shrug was a downer, but, man....it was such a nice car.
Sr. Member
Mar 9, 2009
634 posts
206 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
For Toyotas 2017 models, I believe the Corolla sedan gets a superior safety suite compared to the Corolla iM ( TSS-P vs TSS-C ).
[OP]
Member
Dec 24, 2005
485 posts
68 upvotes
ap27 wrote: For Toyotas 2017 models, I believe the Corolla sedan gets a superior safety suite compared to the Corolla iM ( TSS-P vs TSS-C ).
Sorry, what does that mean ?
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
887 upvotes
question...I think the fit is now built in Mexico...The Scion Im was built in Japan...is the Corolla IM in Japan still?...if that is the case then easy decision...plus the IM is WAY bigger than the Fit...
Sr. Member
Mar 9, 2009
634 posts
206 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
The TSS-C is the base system. It includes lane departure warning, collision warning and emergency braking and auto high beams. This is the system available on the Corolla iM

The TSS-P is the upgraded system. It adds lane correction (the car steers itself back), pedestrian detection emergency braking and adaptive cruise control. This is the system on the Corolla sedan.
[OP]
Member
Dec 24, 2005
485 posts
68 upvotes
ap27 wrote: The TSS-C is the base system. It includes lane departure warning, collision warning and emergency braking and auto high beams. This is the system available on the Corolla iM

The TSS-P is the upgraded system. It adds lane correction (the car steers itself back), pedestrian detection emergency braking and adaptive cruise control. This is the system on the Corolla sedan.
Thanks ap

I was told that the iM has the lane correction and the pedestrian detection braking today....I may have misunderstood though.....would t be the first time.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 3, 2014
1252 posts
1344 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Mazda 3 hatchback?
Maybe even a Mazda 5 or Kia Rondo since the family is so big?
_______
Speedkar99 | YouTube
Member
May 5, 2016
428 posts
221 upvotes
Toronto
If you want more equipment then go for the Fit. The iM is mono-spec. It has the essentials (good sound system, backup cam, auto a/c) but you will lose out on extras like heated seats, sunroof, etc. But other than that, I would rather have the iM, more passenger room, more power (it's still slow), built in Japan and has a bulletproof powertrain. The lease rate for these when they were Scions were pretty cheap.
[OP]
Member
Dec 24, 2005
485 posts
68 upvotes
speedkar9 wrote: Mazda 3 hatchback?
Maybe even a Mazda 5 or Kia Rondo since the family is so big?
I know they're reliable, but I've had a Mazda before, and there's something about them that I just don't like....I can't pinpoint it though.
[OP]
Member
Dec 24, 2005
485 posts
68 upvotes
Spectre26 wrote: If you want more equipment then go for the Fit. The iM is mono-spec. It has the essentials (good sound system, backup cam, auto a/c) but you will lose out on extras like heated seats, sunroof, etc. But other than that, I would rather have the iM, more passenger room, more power (it's still slow), built in Japan and has a bulletproof powertrain. The lease rate for these when they were Scions were pretty cheap.
Yea, I do find it odd that there's only one model. I watched a review of the 2016 Scion, and I can see why they didn't sell, as there were hardly any extras added on for the already high price. It looks like Toyota came along and made a lot of things standard and added a few frills. Sunroof is a nice feature, as are the heated seats which do help in the winter.
Sr. Member
Mar 9, 2009
634 posts
206 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
sportznutt wrote:

Thanks ap

I was told that the iM has the lane correction and the pedestrian detection braking today....I may have misunderstood though.....would t be the first time.
Thats weird. According to the Toyota site the iM only gets the C system.

You should point that out to the salesman and ask him to clarify. Its not uncommon for them to not know changes on the newest models.
Member
May 5, 2016
428 posts
221 upvotes
Toronto
sportznutt wrote: Yea, I do find it odd that there's only one model. I watched a review of the 2016 Scion, and I can see why they didn't sell, as there were hardly any extras added on for the already high price. It looks like Toyota came along and made a lot of things standard and added a few frills. Sunroof is a nice feature, as are the heated seats which do help in the winter.
How about the Mazda 3 GS hatchback? The 2017 models are rolling out and the GS costs about the same and is more equipped than the iM. It has the essentials plus low speed auto emergency braking, blindspot monitoring, heated seats and steering wheel and an optional sunroof. Also it's more powerful than the iM and most fuel efficient in its class.
[OP]
Member
Dec 24, 2005
485 posts
68 upvotes
After having test driven the Corolla, I'm even more confused than ever. I will say that the Fog's seats were more comfortable and softer than the Toyota, as it felt more square -like in the Corolla. That said, I do like the middle arm rest of the Toyota. The safety feature dominate in the Corolla, but I prefer satellite radio over aha in the Toyota, and, despite it being a cosmetic thing, it's a big thing to me.....not to sound petty. The price of both is manageable, but I believe there's more haggle room with the Honda as the corolla is a brand new car. I'm hoping the 2017 Fit gets released soon so we can negotiate even more, but I'm not certain at all.
Jr. Member
User avatar
Oct 3, 2003
126 posts
The IM is also on my list. As this is a new model, when are the better times to get a deal?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
2873 posts
70 upvotes
Windsor
Have you try fitting all 3 in the backseat yet? We took a Civic and Elantra for a test drive on the weekend and our 2 kids are in booster seats. The Elantra you could fit a 3rd person in the back, the Civic was useless for a 3rd person unless it was a small kid without a booster seat.

We plan on trying the Mazda3 and Jetta with the same thing, we will rarely need the option of a 3rd person in the back but we would like to be able to do it when needed.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)