• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2016 10:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2034 posts
318 upvotes

2016 Hyundai Santa Fe SE

Have a stressful 2005 Odyssey we are likely going to try to toss soon, and in the market for some sort of SUV. Being self employed, am thinking of a lease to keep payments shorter, and looking at a Santa Fe SE. Seems to fit in the target range of what we want to spend, and seems to have pretty good reviews.

Anything we should be aware of? Warranty is good, but I read somewhere on here there is a restrictive maintenance schedule? What exactly does that refer to? Are these cars clunkers after a certain amount of time?

Cheers
37 replies
Dec 8, 2006
781 posts
316 upvotes
Maintenance is every 6K on Hyundais. A little annoying to visit the dealer that often given that most cars have 10-12K service intervals.
2x Zoomer Wireless (Rogers): $40.50 (less with friends :)) 6GB 4G LTE, Unlimited Calling & Text
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5487 posts
2670 upvotes
Winnipeg
It's somewhat true, but I have seen it with other brands too. I don't do the dealer packages (one of them is almost 400$ every 48k). Whenever I take my vehicle only do the oil change. You could also have it serviced at an indy shop.
LDN2012 wrote: Maintenance is every 6K on Hyundais. A little annoying to visit the dealer that often given that most cars have 10-12K service intervals.
it's 6k interval for severe conditions (which is debatable), otherwise 12K.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2034 posts
318 upvotes
LDN2012 wrote: Maintenance is every 6K on Hyundais. A little annoying to visit the dealer that often given that most cars have 10-12K service intervals.
for typical oil changes only I assume..or the old if you want us to warranty your vehicle you must do so and so according to schedule or null and void is the warranty? Never go to dealers for my maintenance obviously...hate over paying.
Feb 25, 2015
595 posts
213 upvotes
ON
We put 87000 km's on our 2013 sfs. Nothing other than regular scheduled maintenance.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34648 posts
8548 upvotes
Ottawa
Have a look at the sister vehicle at KIA. Almost identical in most aspects, and cheaper.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32204 posts
18049 upvotes
Ottawa
Get out there and test drive one.
You're the one that is going to be driving it everyday.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2034 posts
318 upvotes
vkizzle wrote: Get out there and test drive one.
driving a rental now as my Jeep is being fixed from being broken into...drives nice actually
Pete_post_id=26912269 wrote: Have a look at the sister vehicle at KIA. Almost identical in most aspects, and cheaper.\
will look at, not as many bells and whistles, but seems a bit cheaper, yes
Last edited by redsfan on Oct 15th, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aug 24, 2006
626 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
Hyundai seems to have a "sales tax adjustment" sale. I'm wondering if it's a good time to buy ?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32204 posts
18049 upvotes
Ottawa
redsfan wrote:
driving a rental now as my Jeep is being fixed from being broken into...drives nice actually
Pete_post_id=26912269 wrote: Have a look at the sister vehicle at KIA. Almost identical in most aspects, and cheaper.\
You really can't go wrong with the Santa Fe, except it is no longer a "budget" brand as evident by its price being in line with it's competition.
For me (when cross shopping for 3 row SUVs), I couldn't get passed the nearly $50k price tag for the XL.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2034 posts
318 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
redsfan wrote:
You really can't go wrong with the Santa Fe, except it is no longer a "budget" brand as evident by its price being in line with it's competition.
For me (when cross shopping for 3 row SUVs), I couldn't get passed the nearly $50k price tag for the XL.
Saw how over priced the XL seems to be..the SE 2017 pretty much loaded seems to run $33K and change, doesn't seem too bad for what is offered. Also looking at a Mazda CX-5, we have an in through Mazda Canada..
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34648 posts
8548 upvotes
Ottawa
redsfan wrote:
Actually, if you get the equal bells and whistles, it will be cheaper.
Since Hyundai is no longer a sister company of KIA, the competition is quite heated.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2034 posts
318 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote:
redsfan wrote:
Since Hyundai is no longer a sister company of KIA, the competition is quite heated.
hard to compare, Kia doesn't offer the same trim package as Hyundai does..ie. leather, pana roof, etc. May not be a big deal if we are just leasing though...how does CX-5 compare in this category?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
34648 posts
8548 upvotes
Ottawa
redsfan wrote:
Pete_Coach wrote:
redsfan wrote:

hard to compare, Kia doesn't offer the same trim package as Hyundai does..ie. leather, pana roof, etc. May not be a big deal if we are just leasing though...how does CX-5 compare in this category?
I just had a good friend buy a SUV. He had a list of "must haves" and whent to all the manufacturers with them. He is a shopper and spends an inordinate amount of time picking a vehicle (or anything for that matter :)).
When all was said and done, he said, option for option, trim level for trim level, dollar for dollar, the KIA was far and away the best buy. He bought the Sorrento SX Turbo AWD.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32204 posts
18049 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete_Coach wrote:
redsfan wrote:
Pete_Coach wrote:
I just had a good friend buy a SUV. He had a list of "must haves" and whent to all the manufacturers with them. He is a shopper and spends an inordinate amount of time picking a vehicle (or anything for that matter :)).
When all was said and done, he said, option for option, trim level for trim level, dollar for dollar, the KIA was far and away the best buy. He bought the Sorrento SX Turbo AWD.
Dollar for dollar alright...$50K OTR?
Should have gone with the NA V6, as the Sorento is pushing 4200lbs and that 2.0L 4 banger Turbo will be working hard.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)