• Feb 12th, 2020 4:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4271 posts
2590 upvotes
Toronto, ON

2016 Model: Chrysler Town and Country VS Dodge Grand Caravan

Hey RFD, so my dad's in town for a new van since his old 2005 DGC is, for least to say, done it's time at 380000KM. He compared two models, and both models were same exact features:

-DVD player
-NAVI
-Leather
-StoNGo
-17" rims
-70,000KM

But the price difference was $2000 between them, so the 2016 Chrysler Town and Country was $19,999 and the 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan was $17,999. My question is, why is there a $2000 price difference for the Town and Country? Is it a superior model compared to Caravan? The salesman was of no help, all he said was, "The Town and Country was made directly by Chrysler and it's a lot better and more comfier ride than Dodge Caravan's".

Anyone with some info please let me know what you think? He's using this van for everyday pleasure, like shopping, taking his grand kids to school, and just riding around the city.

Thank you!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
22 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1366 posts
951 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Over the years we've had a T&C and three GC (although never the same-year vehicles). IMO there really isn't much functional difference.

Chrysler prices itself as their main brand and Dodge as their cheaper line. As such Chrysler products usually have a bit fancier trim, etc.
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18929 posts
6120 upvotes
London
I think the TC has 2 trim levels
touring = lower cost rental trims
Limited = higher cost luxury trim

might also be an ex rental and the other is a private trade in?
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2017
1068 posts
1189 upvotes
Aren't they basically the same vehicle, minus the badge? If they have the same features, mileage, general condition, etc., I'd probably just go with the Grand Caravan, though for $18k sounds steep for a used FCA vehicle given their steep depreciation curve.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4271 posts
2590 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the replies, and y'all are right they are both same type of vehicles but one with Chrysler badge and other with Dodge.

The price is not final tho, we are negotiating. I'm hoping to drop it too $15000 plus applicable taxes. I think we will go with T&C as it looks more fancier.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12998 posts
7784 upvotes
Brampton
Both have the exact same miles?

They are essentially the same car.

There are some minor differences between them. Yes the T&C is the higher end model.

T&C had more soft touch surfaces and more sound deadening as well as larger wheel combos avaliable.
HIDs were also available on them while the DGC never had that option.

If he doesn't care about the features in the T&C then save the $2k.
But you're leaving out a lot of details by not mentioning which T&C / DGC trim levels are.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4271 posts
2590 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tebore wrote: Both have the exact same miles?

They are essentially the same car.

There are some minor differences between them. Yes the T&C is the higher end model.

T&C had more soft touch surfaces and more sound deadening as well as larger wheel combos avaliable.
HIDs were also available on them while the DGC never had that option.

If he doesn't care about the features in the T&C then save the $2k.
But you're leaving out a lot of details by not mentioning which T&C / DGC trim levels are.
The T&C is Touring-L and DGC is SXT w/ full stoNGo seats and same features as T&C.

The sales person also mentioned that the T&C is a bit more heavier vehicle so less road noise.

Going this afternoon for a test run and see. But my dad has owned 3 DGC so far and has had no issues with any of them.

Just trying to help make his decision, as he relies mostly on me (since I'm his only son lol sisters are of no use in this!)
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1366 posts
951 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lamboman wrote: I think we will go with T&C as it looks more fancier.
Then they aren't "the same" and you have your answer on why one is more expensive.
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
Rented a T&C for a 3 week road trip, was the best decision of my life. Almost best.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4271 posts
2590 upvotes
Toronto, ON
koffey wrote: Rented a T&C for a 3 week road trip, was the best decision of my life. Almost best.
Why did you end the sentence with that^?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
lamboman wrote: Why did you end the sentence with that^?
Cause renting a vehicle is low on the life success scale.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Dec 29, 2004
514 posts
697 upvotes
SWO
We went through this at the end of 2015.

They're virtually identical, except for the analog dashboard clock in the T&C. The difference is in how the options are piled on. Buy whichever makes the most sense based on condition, options and cost. Don't worry about the name on the front. One doesn't use "better" parts than the other. They come off the same line.

The lowest end T&C (cloth seats) ends up between a Grand Caravan Crew and Crew Plus. Most T&Cs are optioned at least equivalent to a Grand Caravan Crew Plus.

We ended up with a 2015 T&C Touring-L, which has remote start, which you don't see as often on the GC, especially not a fleet one.

Watch out for vans that don't have bluetooth - shockingly that's an option, and some of the fleet guys don't buy that.

A 1 year old, ex-rental GC Crew Plus with 30,000 kms on it should be in the $26,000 - $27,000 range. $20k for that 2016 T&C seems too high. Our 2015 was $25,500 in 2015. A lot of these hit the market near the end of summer / fall time.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4271 posts
2590 upvotes
Toronto, ON
da_123 wrote: We went through this at the end of 2015.

They're virtually identical, except for the analog dashboard clock in the T&C. The difference is in how the options are piled on. Buy whichever makes the most sense based on condition, options and cost. Don't worry about the name on the front. One doesn't use "better" parts than the other. They come off the same line.

The lowest end T&C (cloth seats) ends up between a Grand Caravan Crew and Crew Plus. Most T&Cs are optioned at least equivalent to a Grand Caravan Crew Plus.

We ended up with a 2015 T&C Touring-L, which has remote start, which you don't see as often on the GC, especially not a fleet one.

Watch out for vans that don't have bluetooth - shockingly that's an option, and some of the fleet guys don't buy that.

A 1 year old, ex-rental GC Crew Plus with 30,000 kms on it should be in the $26,000 - $27,000 range. $20k for that 2016 T&C seems too high. Our 2015 was $25,500 in 2015. A lot of these hit the market near the end of summer / fall time.
Great thanks for the info. Digging in further seems like Chrysler has discontinued the T&C model and made the Pacifica? But regardless the one we saw was exactly same like DGC.

We negotiated the price down too $17300 for the T&C plus taxes. Paying cash so they were able to give a huge discount. Thanks for all the info and help everyone (and the downvotes, don't know why?!)
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10156 upvotes
Toronto
lamboman wrote: Great thanks for the info. Digging in further seems like Chrysler has discontinued the T&C model and made the Pacifica? But regardless the one we saw was exactly same like DGC.

We negotiated the price down too $17300 for the T&C plus taxes. Paying cash so they were able to give a huge discount. Thanks for all the info and help everyone (and the downvotes, don't know why?!)
Because people here like to think that votes mean you are cool. People here like to think that if it isn't honda or toyota, it is inferior. Congrats on the ride and at least it beats another junk cuv on the street.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8605 posts
5525 upvotes
Mississauga
lamboman wrote: Thanks for all the info and help everyone (and the downvotes, don't know why?!)
Because as soon as you put “Chrysler” in the thread topic, it’s like catnip to the haters.

And yes, the Pacifica replaced the T&C.
Oct 22, 2006
666 posts
293 upvotes
They are the same thing except options. Make sure all options are similar as T&C might have more standard base options like power sliding doors and tail gate. As an FYI, the Volkswagen Routan is the same Van with a VW Badge.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
9620 posts
9119 upvotes
lamboman wrote: Hey RFD, so my dad's in town for a new van since his old 2005 DGC is, for least to say, done it's time at 380000KM. He compared two models, and both models were same exact features:

-DVD player
-NAVI
-Leather
-StoNGo
-17" rims
-70,000KM

But the price difference was $2000 between them, so the 2016 Chrysler Town and Country was $19,999 and the 2016 Dodge Grand Caravan was $17,999. My question is, why is there a $2000 price difference for the Town and Country? Is it a superior model compared to Caravan? The salesman was of no help, all he said was, "The Town and Country was made directly by Chrysler and it's a lot better and more comfier ride than Dodge Caravan's".

Anyone with some info please let me know what you think? He's using this van for everyday pleasure, like shopping, taking his grand kids to school, and just riding around the city.

Thank you!
simple. CBB value is exactly $2K apart for the 2 cars. Given DGC has the $20K Canadian Package since the beginning of time, it ruin the resell value of them. TC usually don't start that low.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15815 posts
21547 upvotes
Vancouver
lamboman wrote: The salesman was of no help, all he said was, "The Town and Country was made directly by Chrysler and it's a lot better and more comfier ride than Dodge Caravan's"
Sales rep is full of crap. They're the same vehicle, only difference is the trim and amenity level and the badging.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
2186 posts
2730 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I'd go for Dodge. They are cheaper and due to it being much more popular, i think you could get your money back if you were to sell it (still a poor resale value). And my friend has a Caravan that's 200k+ and it runs like a charm so i gotta say Dodge on this.

Chrysler's van has a nicer interior so that might cause a higher price.
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
3082 posts
907 upvotes
Cambridge, ON/Guelph…
warhawk wrote: They are the same thing except options. Make sure all options are similar as T&C might have more standard base options like power sliding doors and tail gate. As an FYI, the Volkswagen Routan is the same Van with a VW Badge.
Downside to the Routan is that there is no stowngo seats