Sports & Recreation

2016 NHL Free Agency: Nukes dropping Nuclear winter has come and its not July 1st yet

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2016 9:32 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Banned
Oct 20, 2007
4397 posts
504 upvotes
Mississauga

2016 NHL Free Agency: Nukes dropping Nuclear winter has come and its not July 1st yet

The last hour-hour 1/2:

PK Subban for Shea Weber :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0 :-0
Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson :-0 :-0 :-0
Stamkos decides to stay in Tampa and signs for 8.5 million for 8 years. :( :cry:

DAMN!! The fireworks started early this year! :D

I hope Larsson develops into a really good Dman because its looking kinda lopsided right now. Subban for Weber, more even but I'd rather have Subban than Weber right now. Stamkos staying in Tampa is kinda sad as a Leafs fan but not unexpected. Would've thought he would at least go to July 1st and see what he can get, but I guess he saw enough in talks with other teams the last few days that he wanted to stay with the Bolts and get that extra year on the contract. Goodluck to him, but wanted you on the Leafs. :cry:

Only way this doesn't hurt as much is that we got Matthews otherwise it would hurt much more because another Toronto kid didn't want to come here as a UFA. :(
Not all Toronto sports teams are cursed!! Toronto Raptors 2019 NBA Champs! :D
14 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14724 posts
9139 upvotes
Toronto
I'm laughing right now at MTL. I wouldn't have traded Subban for Weber. Subban is a better puck moving D, and actually gets the puck out of the D zone more for the Habs and certainly more than Weber. Their stats are very similar in the range of production, +/- isn't too far off. The contract for Weber is dangerous, back end falls, but signed until 40. This guy isn't Chris Chelios. MTL also paid a heavy price for Shaw. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next few days.

Happy that Stamkos stayed in TB. He got the better deal and will make more money than he would have being in Toronto. He wouldn't have been a good fit IMO. Can't add a player like Stamkos and have the rest of the supporting case of #9-12 forwards.

I'll be interested to see where Lucic is heading. Rumors are Vancouver, but now that Detroit also lost out on Stamkos, well in the mix. The Chicago Tribune believes that the Hawks are looking to retain Andrew Ladd, pick up Kris Versteeg and bring back Brian Campbell. Rebuilding the 2010 cup winners, would be interesting. I can see the need for each though. Need to replace Sharp by keeping Ladd, Odoua and they really need a #3 winger now that Shaw is gone so Versteeg would fill that role well.

I can see Toronto trying to obtain Kyle Okposo or a David Backes. Time will tell :cheesygri
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4950 posts
1271 upvotes
Abbottabad
These NHL free agency deals are comical compared to the Numbers being thrown around in the NBA.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4950 posts
1271 upvotes
Abbottabad
Burkie looking for some of dat truculence.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3641 posts
388 upvotes
Leuven
Ducky wrote: Didn't they only signed brouwer
Not a free agent signing but got Brian Elliot from a trade. Getting Tkachuk in the draft was a bit of a steal as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2010
4950 posts
1271 upvotes
Abbottabad
316 Million dollars spent in the first 47 minutes of free agency.

Robinson Cano says meh.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14724 posts
9139 upvotes
Toronto
What a waste of money, lol. 7 years here, 6 years there... And all in the 4-6 aav million ranges. The best deal of the year is Campbell for 2 million, lol.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8560 upvotes
GTHA
from http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/star ... extension/

The Dallas Stars have signed captain Jamie Benn to an eight-year extension worth $76 million, the team announced Friday.
The new contract will kick in at the start of the 2017-18 season, and will see him in Dallas through the end of the 2024-25 campaign.