Automotive

2016 Nissan Titan (optional Cummins V8 diesel engine with 555 ft.-lb. of torque)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2016 3:07 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8628 upvotes
GTHA

2016 Nissan Titan (optional Cummins V8 diesel engine with 555 ft.-lb. of torque)

Some Titan news...

from http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news ... /index.htm

What is it? Nissan has just taken the wraps off its totally redesigned Titan, a full-size pickup that competes with the Ford F-Series, Chevrolet Silverado, and Ram 1500. The first version to go on sale will be the XD Crew Cab, representing the most popular configuration among modern half-ton pickups. This new Titan is only the second generation of the truck, replacing a design that was launched way back in 2003.

What’s new or notable? The new Titan is positioned to offer features and capabilities usually associated with the larger heavy-duty pickups. Among those is a 310-hp, 5.0-liter Cummins diesel engine with 555 ft.-lb. of torque. To date, the only half-ton pickup offering a diesel has been the Dodge Ram. For the Titan, a new V8 and revised V6 gasoline engines will follow soon. Nissan says that the Titan, properly equipped, will be able to tow 12,000 pounds and carry a payload of 2,000 pounds. Those are all big numbers for this truck segment.

Solidifying its work credentials, the XD is available with a goose-neck trailer hitch already attached to the frame.

Available features include a lockable storage box beneath the rear seat, additional locked storage accessible from the bed, and LED lighting on the bed rails.

A suite of safety and driver-assistance features will be offered, including Nissan’s surround-view camera system, blind-spot warning, and moving-object detection.

Both the truck itself and all three engines are made in the USA.

CR’s take: The out-going Titan was never more than an also-ran, and it had a long history of subpar reliability. The new one had better be good, because the newest Ford, GM, and Ram pickups have raised the bar—significantly. We’ll see if size matters as much as Nissan is betting it does.

When will it be available? Late 2015.
Last edited by tk1000 on Jan 16th, 2015 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
37 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7685 posts
972 upvotes
Waterloo
i looking at a brand new titan with only 20.000 km daily rental for only 24999 i think its a great price but how reliable are they>
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26999 posts
4328 upvotes
They got the engines right.

Looks like an old F150 with slanted headlights.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19149 posts
3372 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Not that too much power is a bad thing, but the 5.0l diesel is too big for a halfton. The 3.0 in the Ram is a good size. 2000lbs payload is not impressive, given that GM and Ford are above that. A smaller, lighter engine and more payload would have been better. The yellow doesn't look that great, it's not awful.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7685 posts
972 upvotes
Waterloo
how is reliablity on these trucks test driving one today what scares me 5 speed tranny.... for little bit more money i can go into a hemi or a eco boost
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11831 posts
5737 upvotes
i6s1 wrote: Not that too much power is a bad thing, but the 5.0l diesel is too big for a halfton. The 3.0 in the Ram is a good size. 2000lbs payload is not impressive, given that GM and Ford are above that. A smaller, lighter engine and more payload would have been better. The yellow doesn't look that great, it's not awful.
They are kinda reaching on this, given that they don't have anything larger than a 1/2 ton. Meaning currently they don't have an offering for anyone wanting to town 9000lbs or more. This does fill that gap (depending on price of course), however I feel most that need to tow that kind of weight regularly will be looking for a 3/4 ton diesel.
Nov 10, 2003
846 posts
214 upvotes
My brother had this as a loaner while his car was in the shop. Drove nice, massive, but his biggest complaint was the $20/day cost in fuel. Craziness
Deal Fanatic
Dec 19, 2005
7685 posts
972 upvotes
Waterloo
DC5R wrote: My brother had this as a loaner while his car was in the shop. Drove nice, massive, but his biggest complaint was the $20/day cost in fuel. Craziness
why not get a hemi sport on the highway it uses less fuel correct? 8 down to a 4?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19149 posts
3372 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
sassysue wrote: why not get a hemi sport on the highway it uses less fuel correct? 8 down to a 4?
How many half ton trucks get worse mileage than a hemi?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2999 posts
1538 upvotes
AB
i6s1 wrote: How many half ton trucks get worse mileage than a hemi?
Tundra 5.7L
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19149 posts
3372 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Gutty96 wrote: They are kinda reaching on this, given that they don't have anything larger than a 1/2 ton. Meaning currently they don't have an offering for anyone wanting to town 9000lbs or more. This does fill that gap (depending on price of course), however I feel most that need to tow that kind of weight regularly will be looking for a 3/4 ton diesel.
I think the gap is lower than 9k, I think it's 5000-7000lbs. A common size for bumper-tow travel trailers up to about 30'. Bumper tows above 30' are fairly rare, most people go to a 5th wheel above 30', and 2000lb payload is not enough for a large 5th wheel. But 5000lbs-7000lbs are where smaller gas engines struggle, and where bigger gas engines get awful mileage.

Work trucks used for towing are going to be HD domestics, the companies that chose the vehicles aren't going to care much about the ride quality for the guy that's gotta drive them. Unless the Titan diesel comes in significantly below the domestics HDs, I don't think they'll sell many trucks to businesses. And I don't think that the 2000lb payload is a big selling feature either, cause that GM and Ford halftons come in above that with the heavy rear axle option. I think the Tundra was around 1600, so they might be in the 2000lb ballpark with the latest revision.

Ram has the right size engine with the 3.0 for a good balance between fuel economy and the power to move a family and a 5000-7000lb trailer, but not enough payload to do so.

But I do have to say, if the Nissan is reliable and priced under a the domestic diesel HDs, it would probably be the truck that works best for my personal needs. When I was shopping last time, I loved the fact that the Nissan was the only truck that offered a bed over 6' with a crewcab, (the biggest bed they had was almost 8') but in the end, a diesel made the most sense. And at the time, were were no halfton diesels.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19149 posts
3372 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
aleks wrote: Tundra 5.7L
Yeah, point being that it's among the worst for mileage.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11831 posts
5737 upvotes
i6s1 wrote: How many half ton trucks get worse mileage than a hemi?
All of GM's V8s? LOL, just kidding. Let's not start this again.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
11831 posts
5737 upvotes
i6s1 wrote: I think the gap is lower than 9k, I think it's 5000-7000lbs. A common size for bumper-tow travel trailers up to about 30'. Bumper tows above 30' are fairly rare, most people go to a 5th wheel above 30', and 2000lb payload is not enough for a large 5th wheel. But 5000lbs-7000lbs are where smaller gas engines struggle, and where bigger gas engines get awful mileage.

Work trucks used for towing are going to be HD domestics, the companies that chose the vehicles aren't going to care much about the ride quality for the guy that's gotta drive them. Unless the Titan diesel comes in significantly below the domestics HDs, I don't think they'll sell many trucks to businesses. And I don't think that the 2000lb payload is a big selling feature either, cause that GM and Ford halftons come in above that with the heavy rear axle option. I think the Tundra was around 1600, so they might be in the 2000lb ballpark with the latest revision.

Ram has the right size engine with the 3.0 for a good balance between fuel economy and the power to move a family and a 5000-7000lb trailer, but not enough payload to do so.

But I do have to say, if the Nissan is reliable and priced under a the domestic diesel HDs, it would probably be the truck that works best for my personal needs. When I was shopping last time, I loved the fact that the Nissan was the only truck that offered a bed over 6' with a crewcab, (the biggest bed they had was almost 8') but in the end, a diesel made the most sense. And at the time, were were no halfton diesels.
It is a Duramax, right? I would expect reliability to be similar to GM's experience with Duramax. Do we know if it will be an Alison Transmission though? That could be the crutch for the whole set up right there. As the best thing about the GM's Diesels is the Transmission that is connected to them.

**EDIT**

Opps, read that wrong. It is a Cummins, not Duramax.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8628 upvotes
GTHA
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins V-8 Start Up and Idle

Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2619 posts
666 upvotes
Ottawa
Looks like the bugeye Subaru of the truck world.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
963 upvotes
DC5R wrote: My brother had this as a loaner while his car was in the shop. Drove nice, massive, but his biggest complaint was the $20/day cost in fuel. Craziness
20 a day is brutal if it's not a work truck, ie used by a regular person.

Anyway I think it's difficult to beat the domestics notably the F150.
Feb 10, 2014
364 posts
269 upvotes
Mississauga
I think their targeting is off.

Most people who need cummins V8 won't even look at imports.

That is assuming they are not lowering the price by $15k for fleet buyers.