None
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2009
2792 posts
419 upvotes
Mississauga

2016 Toyota Yaris Sedan

Hi everyone!!

What everyone thinks of the 2016 Toyota Yaris Sedan?

I think the new 2016 Toyota Yaris Sedan looks like a Mazda3 hatch and a Ford Fiesta got mashed together :D
33 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2007
1717 posts
529 upvotes
wow the interior is super close to the new mazda 3's.... even the screen in the middle looks the same
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1067 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The new Yaris/IA is a rebranded Mazda2, handled by Toyota/Scion's design team on the exterior - unfortunately.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
win-star wrote: Hi everyone!!

I think the new 2016 Toyota Yaris Sedan looks like a Mazda3 hatch and a Ford Fiesta got mashed together :D
slidxe wrote: wow the interior is super close to the new mazda 3's.... even the screen in the middle looks the same

Toyota To Get Mazda2-Based Subcompact

"Mazda has announced that its factory in Mexico will begin producing a new Mazda2-based Toyota small car from 2015."
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6251 upvotes
Poormond Hill
win-star wrote: Hi everyone!!

I think it is sacrilegious for Toyota to seek a small car from Mazda. This is what happens when you merge a Toyota with a Mazda. Even Mazda themselves do not want to sell this turd in North America. Toyota builds many small cars for other markets that can be sold here.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1067 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto, ON
sandikosh wrote: I think it is sacrilegious for Toyota to seek a small car from Mazda. This is what happens when you merge a Toyota with a Mazda. Even Mazda themselves do not want to sell this turd in North America. Toyota builds many small cars for other markets that can be sold here.
I would argue it has more to do with production than their interest in selling it as their own model.
They're a small company relative to their competitors, and they only recently opened that plant within the last 18 months if I'm not mistaken - they don't have the capacity.

Now, maybe it's production or maybe it's even an exclusivity deal they have with Toyota for the first model year or two knowing the Yaris will sell more than a Mazda2 will on name/brand alone. Could be a smart business decision.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
3446 posts
2198 upvotes
sandikosh wrote: I think it is sacrilegious for Toyota to seek a small car from Mazda. This is what happens when you merge a Toyota with a Mazda. Even Mazda themselves do not want to sell this turd in North America. Toyota builds many small cars for other markets that can be sold here.
By all accounts the Mazda 2 is a great car In this class. Mazda makes some of the best when it comes to fun to drive. This little car even comes with a 6 speed auto vs the crap Toyota puts in their yaris hatch or Toyota corolla. "Toyota" yaris sedan is getting good reviews so far. It's being sold in US as a Scion.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2010
1463 posts
414 upvotes
Toyota's rock solid reliability will be at stake, those skyactiv powertrains are complicated and prone to costly fixes in comparison to the tried and true Toyota powertrain
Once there was a real deal in front of me I did not cherish. Not until it went OOS did I learn to regret. There's no greater sorrow. If heavens would grant me another chance I would buy buy buy. If I must put down a quantity, I hope it is 10000
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1067 posts
436 upvotes
Toronto, ON
carniver wrote: Toyota's rock solid reliability will be at stake, those skyactiv powertrains are complicated and prone to costly fixes in comparison to the tried and true Toyota powertrain
Complicated and prone to costly fixes? Prove it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6654 posts
1455 upvotes
i thought they were supposed to be in the Scion lineup,
eventhough now comes with 6 spd, the 106HP with a new engine seems kind of weak.
and I am not sure if they made a mistake on their website, it's priced more expensive than a Corolla.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
sf1 wrote: i thought they were supposed to be in the Scion lineup
It’s a Toyota Yaris Sedan in Canada, but it’s a Scion iA in the U.S.

"Toyota is making hay in New York, trumpeting the iA/Yaris as Scion’s first sedan. In Canada, not so much. Canadians love their hatchbacks and the Toyota Canada lineup already features a number of sedans. This is another."
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1293 posts
952 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
From CR who are currently testing the new Scion iA / Yaris. Keep in mind we don't know if all the features such as keyless ignition etc in their rental Scion will carry over to a Canadian badged Yaris etc.

Initial Impressions
Unlike those other Scions, the iA has a rather engaging character. We rented an example from Toyota with the smooth-shifting six-speed manual transmission. Even rowing the gears ourselves, acceleration is tepid, with all the verve one could expect from a 106-hp small-displacement engine. The clutch action is light, with a soft, mid-travel engagement that would make it especially easy for a beginner to learn to drive. This is a good thing, as shifts are frequent as the iA races to keep up with traffic. (A six-speed automatic transmission is available for $1,100.)

The Mazda DNA can be appreciated in the responsive steering and capable road holding that make the iA more fun to drive than its peers, like the Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, and Toyota Yaris. Ride quality is decent for the class, having poise on rough surfaces, although on some pavement, a taut rebound can be felt.

The driver's space is narrow, with tight pedal placement and an intruding center stack that risks forming a knee callus from rubbing. The front bucket seats are fairly supportive. Controls are straightforward, aside from the Mazda touch screen perched atop the dashboard like an iPad Mini tablet. The screen-based controls, such as for audio and navigation ($419 option), require a practiced hand on a rotary knob positioned between the seats. The mode selection buttons that flank the controller require one's eyes to move far, far away from the task at hand: driving.

The cabin is nicely finished with a sprinkling of soft-touch elements and tasteful accents that visually separate the iA from some rivals. Back seat space is intimate with limited headroom, aggravated by the sloped roof and intrusive head rests.

For the class, some standard equipment serves as a welcomed treat, including low-speed pre-collision system, backup camera, and keyless ignition. Active safety systems are appreciated at this price category, and frankly rare on any mainstream model. This may especially benefit the youthful drivers this car targets.

There is a relatively large trunk opening. But the commodious cargo space is compromised by slender gooseneck hinges and the need to essentially load from the back, rather than set contents downward.

CR's Take
Entry-level cars tend to be rather sad purchases, marred by overt shortcomings. But the Scion iA twists the convention, bringing Miata-flavored character and notable standard features to the class. Sure, cheaper cars can be had, but they simply won't be as enjoyable.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
2143 posts
1566 upvotes
The new Yaris is a Mazda2 that the Toyota design team has gotten their paws on and ruined.

I'm sure it still drives great - it's a Mazda after all, and have a great interior - but it sure ain't a looker. It looked so much better as a Mazda.

Before and after it was Toyotafied:

[IMG]http://s1.paultan.org/image/2014/11/maz ... 646312.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/wp-con ... iA_001.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
2143 posts
1566 upvotes
The Mazda2 is by no means a turd. It's arguably the best car in its class, and certainly offers more "upscale" amenities than any of its competitors.

Toyota has been barely trying with its outdated Echoes/Yaris that they have been pushing out for over a decade. Its nice to see a car them push a car that is finally competitive instead of relying on their name alone.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 15, 2004
6654 posts
1455 upvotes
the mazda 2 looks better as a hatch imo,
too bad it's not coming to NA
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21266 posts
6251 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Awjvail wrote: The Mazda2 is by no means a turd. It's arguably the best car in its class, and certainly offers more "upscale" amenities than any of its competitors.

Toyota has been barely trying with its outdated Echoes/Yaris that they have been pushing out for over a decade. Its nice to see a car them push a car that is finally competitive instead of relying on their name alone.
Mazda knows it's a turd. They know it will not sell. Being best in class carries no relevance, unless you have a BMW badge on the hood. Just look at sales for the Mazda range. No where the leaders. Even the Yaris, despite it's old tech, was outselling the previous 2 by huge amounts.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)