2016 Used Car Advice Needed

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2019 12:45 pm
[OP]
Dec 7, 2019
1 posts

2016 Used Car Advice Needed

Hi there,

Long time reader, first time poster here.

I am trying to decide between the following cars and having a hard time choosing. Any advice you guys can provide is appreciated. These are the cars:

- 2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
- 2016 to 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL (Limited)
- 2016 Infinity QX60
- 2016 KIA Sorrento SX
- 2017 Nissan Rouge

I know that's a big list, my important factors are reliability and most features for money ( memory seating etc?)
6 replies
Feb 17, 2015
820 posts
895 upvotes
Canada
you want reliability and yet you skipped toyota and lexus brands. 2016/2017 Toyota Highlander is you best bet.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11444 posts
3712 upvotes
Toronto
NX200T if you don't really need the big SUV. Wife has a 2016.
Zero issue.
Amazing Gas consumption of 7 to 8L per 100km/L if you don't have a heavy foot.

or if you need need something to carry 5+ passengers all the time.
Get a Mini-Van over a big SUV.
Last edited by MP3_SKY on Dec 9th, 2019 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Jan 16, 2017
38 posts
14 upvotes
I would add Toyota Highlander and Honda Pilot to that list. Out of your list, I would pick the QX60. The Nissan 3.5L V6 is a fantastic engine. Lots of power and very reliable. Friends of ours had a JX35 (predecessor to the QX60) and really liked it.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2586 posts
1834 upvotes
Markham
It seems to me your selection is CUVs with a 3rd row. I'll start off by saying Nissan Rogue its 3rd row seat is useless, its the smallest of the ones you listed and 2017 spec will not have the new safety suite features on 2018-2020 despite looking nearly the same and its out of date too. So definitely drop this one if the larger vehicle is required. Its not very good either, so even if you're ok with its small size its not impressive anywhere.

These are my brief run downs as I've driven the whole lot. I have a horrible tendency to ramble.

Mazda CX-9 - This one is the nicest of the whole bunch to drive, this is the most modern design however getting used to the Mazda knob will take time, 3rd row is somewhat cramped though, worst thing about it is cargo capacity is so-so for its size and its high loading dock is somewhat annoying. Things to check, this is a 1st year of the generation, know as many of the TSBs as possible and get those sorted out as soon as possible if you see any issue.

Santa Fe XL - Kind of dull, its decently large though and the Limited spec is relatively feature rich but its on the dated side. Warning is the Hyundai depreciation rate is fast.

Infiniti QX60 - Exactly the same as a Nissan Pathfinder only with minor differences go with whichever version is cheaper as they're near identical, this one is also dull and rather out of date at this point, the item to watch is the CVT make sure that's good otherwise you could run into issues

Kia Sorento - If its SX then its the top of the line Kia and its feature set will be very modern, this one is actually smaller than its Santa Fe XL cousin. Similar warning about depreciation, except Kia usually is hit even harder. Same as the Mazda, this is also 1st year of the generation know as many of the TSBs that affect this car as possible.

So in this bunch I actually like the Mazda. For the Hyundai and Kia, because of their deprecation their worth buying if you negotiate them down hard. I don't recommend either Nissans/Infiniti, those designs are already a few years old even for 2016 models, so if you care about the value in the features they don't offer much new, only the really recent model years offer some extra gimmicky tech.

I do see people point out the Highlander and its the most reliable no question. As a used prospect though its very expensive and even a low trim level is likely to break the budget. To fall in line with what's proposed it'll have to be older or have silly mileage to match the dollar cost. It also suffers from other things, its kind of awful to drive and its features are actually kind of bad especially tech related. Recent model Toyota, Honda and Subaru are better bought new than lightly used frankly.

Edit: I realized I screwed up a detail on the Mazda CX-9, was thinking about the 2015 which still had the V6. 2016 has the turbo which is quite a bit more efficient. Replaced that comment with issues regarding its cargo hauling capabilities which is more annoying on this version.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
6413 posts
2815 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
JeganV wrote: It seems to me your selection is CUVs with a 3rd row. I'll start off by saying Nissan Rogue its 3rd row seat is useless, its the smallest of the ones you listed and 2017 spec will not have the new safety suite features on 2018-2020 despite looking nearly the same and its out of date too. So definitely drop this one if the larger vehicle is required. Its not very good either, so even if you're ok with its small size its not impressive anywhere.

These are my brief run downs as I've driven the whole lot. I have a horrible tendency to ramble.

Mazda CX-9 - This one is the nicest of the whole bunch to drive, this is the most modern design however getting used to the Mazda knob will take time, 3rd row is somewhat cramped though, worst thing about it is cargo capacity is so-so for its size and its high loading dock is somewhat annoying. Things to check, this is a 1st year of the generation, know as many of the TSBs as possible and get those sorted out as soon as possible if you see any issue.

Santa Fe XL - Kind of dull, its decently large though and the Limited spec is relatively feature rich but its on the dated side. Warning is the Hyundai depreciation rate is fast.

Infiniti QX60 - Exactly the same as a Nissan Pathfinder only with minor differences go with whichever version is cheaper as they're near identical, this one is also dull and rather out of date at this point, the item to watch is the CVT make sure that's good otherwise you could run into issues

Kia Sorento - If its SX then its the top of the line Kia and its feature set will be very modern, this one is actually smaller than its Santa Fe XL cousin. Similar warning about depreciation, except Kia usually is hit even harder. Same as the Mazda, this is also 1st year of the generation know as many of the TSBs that affect this car as possible.

So in this bunch I actually like the Mazda. For the Hyundai and Kia, because of their deprecation their worth buying if you negotiate them down hard. I don't recommend either Nissans/Infiniti, those designs are already a few years old even for 2016 models, so if you care about the value in the features they don't offer much new, only the really recent model years offer some extra gimmicky tech.

I do see people point out the Highlander and its the most reliable no question. As a used prospect though its very expensive and even a low trim level is likely to break the budget. To fall in line with what's proposed it'll have to be older or have silly mileage to match the dollar cost. It also suffers from other things, its kind of awful to drive and its features are actually kind of bad especially tech related. Recent model Toyota, Honda and Subaru are better bought new than lightly used frankly.

Edit: I realized I screwed up a detail on the Mazda CX-9, was thinking about the 2015 which still had the V6. 2016 has the turbo which is quite a bit more efficient. Replaced that comment with issues regarding its cargo hauling capabilities which is more annoying on this version.
Ramble on pls... always informative. Thanks.
July 13, 2017 to October 25, 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime rate next day each time.

2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited and waited to drop its prime rate to include all 3 drops.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14433 posts
8821 upvotes
Toronto
1y4gif.jpg
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯