5020 posts
13958 upvotes
Winnipeg

2016 Winter Tire Rebates

Hankook

October 15 – December 15, 2016

Online rebate:
$100 on four Winter i*cept evo2 (pattern code W320 (A)) tires
$60 on four Winter i*cept iZ2 (pattern code W616), Winter i*Pike RS (pattern code W419), Winter i*Pike (pattern code W409), Winter i*Pike LT (pattern code RW09) and i*Pike RW11 (pattern code RW11) tires
$40 on I Fit Ice(pattern code LW71) tires
Mail-In Rebate Form (will be posted when available)

Continental/General Tire

Prepaid credit card:
$65 on four Continental tires (excludes online and TrueContact)
$35 on four General Tire tires (excludes online, Evertrek and Grabber STX)
Rebate form
Rebate form

Goodyear

October 1 – December 31, 2016

Mail-in rebate:
$100 on four UltraGrip 8 Performance, UltraGrip SUV ROF and UltraGrip + SUV 4x4 tires
$80 on four Assurance ComforTred Touring, Assurance TripleTred All-Season, Assurance cs TripleTred All-Season, SP Winter Sport 4D & 4D ROF, UltraGrip Ice WRT and Wrangler All-Terrain Adv w/Kevlar tires
$60 on four Winter Maxx tires
$40 on four Assurance All-Season, Assurance Fuel Max, Assurance cs Fuel Max, Eagle Sport All-Season, Ultra Grip Winter, Winter Maxx SJ8, Wrangler Trailrunner, Wrangler Fortitude HT and Wrangler Duratrac tires
Rebate form

Pirelli

September 15 – December 15, 2016

Mail-in rebate:
$100 on four 270 Sottozero II Winter tires
$70 on four Sottozero Winter family, Snowcontrol Winter family or Scorpion Winter family of tires
$50 on four Ice Zero/Cinturato Winter tires
Rebate form
Rebate form - Atlantic

Yokohama

September 15 – December 15, 2016

Mail-in rebate:
$70 on four IG52c, IG51v, W.drive V905 and W.drive WY01 tires
Rebate form

Bridgestone

Prepaid credit card:
$70 on four Blizzak DM-V1, Blizzak DM-V2, Blizzak DM- Z3, Blizzak LM-25 RFT, Blizzak LM-25 4x4, Blizzak LM-32, Blizzak LM-32 RFT, Blizzak LM-50 RFT, Blizzak LM-60, Blizzak LM-60 RFT, Blizzak LM-80 RFT, Blizzak LM-80 EVO, Blizzak LM-500, Blizzak MZ-03 RFT, Blizzak W965, Blizzak WS60, Blizzak WS70, Blizzak WS80 tires
Rebate form

Michelin/BFGoodrich/Uniroyal

October 7 – December 23, 2016

Mail-in rebate:
Michelin - $70 on four Michelin tires
BFGoodrich - $50 on four BF Goodrich tires
Uniroyal - $40 on four Uniroyal tires
Rebate form
Rebate form
Rebate form

Toyo

September 17 – December 15, 2016

Mail-in rebate:
$70 on four Open Country H/T & H/T Tuff Duty, Open Country A/T II, Open Country A/T II Extreme, Open Country M/T, Open Country C/T (3PMS), Open Country WLT1 (3PMS), Observe Garit Kx, Observe Gwi5 and Celsius / Celcius CUV tires
$60 on four Extensa HP, Versado Noir, Versado ECO, Versado CUV, Proxes 4 Plus/Proxes 4 (select sizes) and Proxes STII tires
$50 on four Eclipse, Extensa AS, Observe G3-Ice and Observe G3-Ice (factory studded) tires
Rebate form

Resident of Manitoba

You can double your tire rebates through Birchwood Tires.
https://www.birchwoodtires.ca/manufacturer-rebates/
Last edited by howwon on Oct 30th, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
729 replies
Apr 25, 2012
944 posts
310 upvotes
First time car owner. Can someone please tell me how to choose tires for my vehicle? I have a 2010 Honda Accord EX Sedan. How do I know which tires are compatible? Thanks!
Koodo $40/8Gb | PublicMobile $34/4Gb LTE
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2004
4074 posts
1089 upvotes
Vancouver
Some of the best winter tires that you can buy with these rebates for your average daily driver, very generally speaking, are the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80, Continental WinterContact Si. and Michelin X-Ice Xi3.. If you're going to buy a winter tire, there's must be a reason for it, so I would go with any of many highly-rated tires out there. For the majority of Canadians, a good winter tire is the most crucial component in safe winter driving. Don't cheap out as there are some cheap "winter" tires out there that don't handle much better than an all-season tire in snow and ice. Also have a look at Nokian tires which are harder to find but always well-reviewed.

For me, it appears the WS80s are by far the cheapest of the bunch, $681 installed, with Costco warranty and service for my car. The X-Ice Xi3 is about $25 more per tire. The WinterContact Si are actually even more expensive in my area (and in Canada) compared to the other two. So, I've basically narrowed it down to two choices (WS80 and the Xi3) and did a lot of research on both:

What I've read is that WS80s are a bit softer while the latter is a little more performance oriented. Because they're soft, the WS80 will perform better in true winter conditions but may handle worse and wear much faster in a warm climate like Vancouver where it never really snows. I've also read that superior compound (multi-cell) that the WS80 uses wears down to a regular winter compound which makes the tire significantly worse at the halfway mark around 6/32's whereas the X-Ice Xi3 were designed with longevity in mind (and is one of very few winter tires that carry an industry-leading 60,000km treadlife warranty however difficult to claim it may be). Apparently, the X-Ice Xi3s at 4/32's still have some pretty impressive tread and only loses about 15% of it's originally designed performance/traction. Most winter tires should be replaced around 6/32's especially if you live in an with lots of snow. Because it is so mild and rarely snows in Vancouver, I'll be choosing the Michelins for their wet/dry performance and longevity. For almost everyone else, where heavy snow and cold weather is a winter staple, I would go with the WS80 which should be the superior tire when handling in snow and ice. Just replace it around 6/32's. The cold weather should also help reduce the rate in which the rubber wears so longevity is not as big of a concern.

Edit: Canadian Tire has a sale going on for the Continental WinterContact SI's until Oct 20 (will have been on for 3 weeks), plus a rebate and a gift card sale at SDM (both starting on Oct 15) puts them at about $160 less than the Xi3's and $45 less than the WS80's! Performance-wise, they seem very similar to the Xi3. Canadian Tire claims it "out-performs all the competition" in their testing... Xi3 gets excellent treadwear, road noise and rolling resistance/fuel economy scores, not sure how the WinterContacts perform in those categories.
Last edited by lhsonic on Oct 14th, 2016 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Removed external link in signature.
Jun 29, 2005
456 posts
35 upvotes
for Michelin rebate, can I use $70 for all-season tires such as Defender?
Aug 27, 2008
588 posts
114 upvotes
montreal
Do I need to buy both sets of tires from Costco to benefit from their cheap tire changes, or just one? I'm definitely getting the winters from them but I may look elsewhere for all seasons come spring.
Deal Addict
Oct 8, 2009
1678 posts
930 upvotes
Kitchener
Can these be coupled with the fountain tire 4 for 3 tire deal?

Anyone taken advantage of that deal?
Jul 3, 2007
223 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know if there is a rebate available for Nokian (specifically WRG3) or one coming.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1163 posts
533 upvotes
Kitchener. Ontario
imo, I would say X-ice 3 > WS80. Don't get me wring. I'd say the WS80 is better in terms of deep snow, but the X-ice 3 is better in terms of overall driving. Basically, if you live in the city and the street get plowed go with the Michelin. If you live in a rural area where snow takes time to get plowed, go WS80.
Apr 25, 2012
944 posts
310 upvotes
lhsonic wrote: For me, it appears the WS80s are by far the cheapest of the bunch, $681 installed, with Costco warranty and service for my car.
How much would it cost to get the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 through Costco? They're selling for $229 each at Canadian Tire. I don't have a Costco membership but I am willing to get it if it will save me money. Thanks for the informative post above. Would you recommend WS80 or the Xi3 for GTA?
Last edited by demzie on Sep 25th, 2016 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koodo $40/8Gb | PublicMobile $34/4Gb LTE
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2004
4303 posts
755 upvotes
Guelph, ON
edyee wrote: Does anyone know if there is a rebate available for Nokian (specifically WRG3) or one coming.

Thanks
+1, Nokian makes the best Winter Tires in the World, period.
Banned
Nov 16, 2012
1837 posts
383 upvotes
EAST YORK
lhsonic wrote: Some of the best winter tires that you can buy with these rebates for your average daily driver, very generally speaking, are the Bridgestone Blizzak WS80, Continental WinterContact Si. and Michelin X-Ice Xi3..
I hated my xi2's(have no experience with the xi3's though), found them no better than all seasons in snow. And my ws80's, while did perform great, were wore out after just one season(just 7000kms)! So, never again will I buy those.

Best winter tires I have ever had in my own personal experience were Cooper Weathermaster. The best combination of price/performance and longevity(got 5 seasons out of them).
Last edited by theillest on Sep 25th, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 15, 2015
905 posts
850 upvotes
Abbotsford
Any double blind factual findings comparing tires against each other?
Lots of advertising and hyperbole. Very little evidence based comparison.
Sep 15, 2015
905 posts
850 upvotes
Abbotsford
And no, personal observation is not sufficient.
Dec 26, 2012
665 posts
460 upvotes
Quebec
Most car tires reviews, consumer report, protegez-vous, auto.ca and such will rank Bridgestone blizzak WS80, Michelin X-ice 3 and Nokian Hakkapellita as the top 3 tires you can buy (I'm not ranking them in any particular order here). As seen above there is much discussion as wich is better than wich but honestly having rode on all 3 in the last years, you can't go wrong with either of them. (I personaly prefer the Nokian but that's juste me and they are more expensive)

Don't forget that these 3 tires are the top 3 out of dozens of models so wich ever you chose, you're still in the top 3 and the difference between these 3 will be mininal

Costco has a very agressive price of the Blizzak WS80 and they have a 70$ rebate valid until oct 2nd and that's what I'm putting on my wife's car this year. 692$ all in for 205/55R16

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)