• Aug 5th, 2020 10:01 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1931 posts
1183 upvotes

2017 BMW 320i - 3 Owners in 3 Years

Used BMW 320i.

Carfax is showing three owners in three years. No accidents report. Mileage is below average. Car looks great asthetically.

08/03/2017 First Owner Reported
11/02/2017 New Owner Reported
08/17/2019 Odometer reading 34,572 KM
09/21/2019 New Owner Reported
07/26/2020 Odometer Reading 43,000 KM

Three owners in three years can be indicative of a lemon. However I was wondering if there is an obvious reason that I am not aware of.

Perhaps the first owner was the dealer, second owner got a lease and third owner is back to the dealer?

Any insight would be appreciated.
41 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31877 posts
18865 upvotes
Toronto
Not living up to the bmw famous trademark

“Ultimate driving machine “

320 is a no frills entry level with inferior finishes, underpowered car, perhaps.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1144 posts
1488 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
Keep the ball rolling...be the 4th owner in 4 years! Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Feb 8, 2010
582 posts
475 upvotes
booblehead wrote: Not living up to the bmw famous trademark
“Ultimate driving machine “
320 is a no frills entry level with inferior finishes, underpowered car, perhaps.
The new slogan changed to "Sheer Driving Pleasure". That could be interpreted as luxury, comfort instead of sporty.

Anyway I am not going to buy a used BMW. The three owners must be really fed-up to take a depreciation hit and get rid of the car. Leasing is the only option if I ever want to touch a BMW.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36402 posts
10659 upvotes
Ottawa
Reason can be that the dealer registered it and used the car, then transferred it and became a demo and then sold to first real owner who came to the realization they could not afford the payments.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31877 posts
18865 upvotes
Toronto
the excessive use of plastic killed the car Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10118 posts
977 upvotes
Toronto
Well if you are going to be 4th, owner, research resale value first. For a good research all a ramdom. Mw dealer and state the specs and mileage and ask how much is the trade in
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
2055 posts
1326 upvotes
Durham
First was probably a demo. Then someone leased it for 2 years. 2 year lease is very common with luxury brands ( I said brand not model. 320 is far from luxury lol). Last owner owned for a year, could be many reasons. Loss of job, upgrade, bored of it (it is a 320 after all)
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1931 posts
1183 upvotes
Didn't realize there wasn't much lovefor the 320i haha. I know nothing about German Brands.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1931 posts
1183 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Reason can be that the dealer registered it and used the car, then transferred it and became a demo and then sold to first real owner who came to the realization they could not afford the payments.
Makes sense.

The joys of buying used. It's sometimes the lick of the draw.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
It's the car people get when they want to own a BMW but can't really afford one.
End up disappointed.
There is a dominance of female owners in this lower end segment smaller sized, underpowered "luxury" brand cars.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2017
1068 posts
1183 upvotes
gh05t wrote: It's the car people get when they want to own a BMW but can't really afford one.
End up disappointed.
There is a dominance of female owners in this lower end segment smaller sized, underpowered "luxury" brand cars.
One of my friends bought a cpo 320i couple years back. Very barebones fit and finish-- cheap plastic all over the place, halogens and no power passenger seat! For what you are paying even on a used stripped down 3er, I'd rather buy a base civic or mazda 3 and pocket the difference. But then again, I'm clearly not their target demographic...
Penalty Box
Jun 26, 2009
5141 posts
4877 upvotes
GTA
Amazing how very little people know how the Carfax entries work and what's the new vehicle registration options are. But they are all very fast with reliability comments. Sad.
Dec 5, 2009
31 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Tommy74 wrote: Amazing how very little people know how the Carfax entries work and what's the new vehicle registration options are. But they are all very fast with reliability comments. Sad.
Enlighten us.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5161 posts
6949 upvotes
Toronto, ON
320i is slow... might be the only car in the entry luxury segment slower than the IS250, but usually driven by little boys who think it's an M3.
Deal Addict
May 23, 2009
3342 posts
1938 upvotes
Mississauga
Tommy74 wrote: Amazing how very little people know how the Carfax entries work and what's the new vehicle registration options are. But they are all very fast with reliability comments. Sad.
Yeah
kleen wrote:
Enlighten us.
Carfax is not very accurate at identifying the number of previous owners. UVIP is more accurate if the vehicle has not changed province.
I sold a car last month after owning it for 6 years. I pulled a carfax for the prospective buyer and noticed that a few times over the last 6 years, it reported new owner when I simply renewed my registration. My mileage was also below average since I've been working from home for a few years.

61,000kms in 6 and a half years
Images
  • carfax.JPG
Last edited by bubuski on Aug 2nd, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
12938 posts
3966 upvotes
gh05t wrote: It's the car people get when they want to own a BMW but can't really afford one.
End up disappointed.
That's my coworker and friend of coworker. Gets new job, buys entry BMW as first car. She is a girl but from a certain minority group that is usually poor. Got something to prove to family that women too can be success. Then end up getting married off by the family anyways. No point.