• Jul 13th, 2016 8:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4829 posts
150 upvotes
GTA
What would be some reasonable alternatives to the Fusion Sport (or possibly Fusion Titanium)? We're in the market for a new family sedan. I've fallen for the Fusion Sport before ever even seeing or driving one, which I know is bad - especially since it's pushing the limits of our budget.

But with Employee Pricing putting it at $38.5k, that's doable.

What other options should I consider at that price (or below!) that would have equivalent features and/or performance to the Fusion? Coworkers have suggested the Mazda 6 (which I currently own a much older model) and the Accord. The Accord I'm not keen on the styling.
Rock it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34554 posts
20599 upvotes
Center of Universe
chdude3 wrote: What would be some reasonable alternatives to the Fusion Sport (or possibly Fusion Titanium)? We're in the market for a new family sedan. I've fallen for the Fusion Sport before ever even seeing or driving one, which I know is bad - especially since it's pushing the limits of our budget.

But with Employee Pricing putting it at $38.5k, that's doable.

What other options should I consider at that price (or below!) that would have equivalent features and/or performance to the Fusion? Coworkers have suggested the Mazda 6 (which I currently own a much older model) and the Accord. The Accord I'm not keen on the styling.
Neither Mazda 6 or Accord comes with AWD.
The TLX will be the closest competitor in a similar price range and if you increase your budget you can look at BMW 328i xDrive or MB C300
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2015
1037 posts
462 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
wilmaster001 wrote: Doesn't the Legacy 3.6R compete against this at a much cheaper price ?
The Legacy might be ~$2K cheaper, but it's over 1 second slower from 0 - 60 mph. Plus, the Fusion Sport has all the options. I'm not remotely in the market but the 2017 Fusion Sport has got my interest piqued.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4829 posts
150 upvotes
GTA
vkizzle wrote: Neither Mazda 6 or Accord comes with AWD.
The TLX will be the closest competitor in a similar price range and if you increase your budget you can look at BMW 328i xDrive or MB C300
That's what I'm finding; that the Ford is actually a pretty decent value and that comparable competition requires compromises, especially on pricing.

Unfortunately I'm not willing to increase the budget further. Honestly, if we do go with the Fusion Sport it'll be the most we've ever spent on a vehicle and I'm having trouble reconciling that mentally. Honestly we want to save for retirement, or use money for travel - but we also can't take it with us when we go, so there's something to be said for enjoying it from time to time!

I'll take a look at the TLX, 329i xD, and C300 though. Thanks for the suggestions!
Rock it.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34554 posts
20599 upvotes
Center of Universe
chdude3 wrote: That's what I'm finding; that the Ford is actually a pretty decent value and that comparable competition requires compromises, especially on pricing.

Unfortunately I'm not willing to increase the budget further. Honestly, if we do go with the Fusion Sport it'll be the most we've ever spent on a vehicle and I'm having trouble reconciling that mentally. Honestly we want to save for retirement, or use money for travel - but we also can't take it with us when we go, so there's something to be said for enjoying it from time to time!

I'll take a look at the TLX, 329i xD, and C300 though. Thanks for the suggestions!
It's a big purchase no doubt and you should take all of the time required to test drive and compare with other makes and models.
I'm $50K+ in the hole with the Explorer Sport and have no regrets as it took 6 months to pull the trigger after test driving and looking at every single vehicle in the same segment.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1165 posts
488 upvotes
chdude3 wrote: That's what I'm finding; that the Ford is actually a pretty decent value and that comparable competition requires compromises, especially on pricing.

Based on your priorities, don't bother with the German cars. The amount you'd be paying for one will be for the premium on the name and not for extra features. I'd take the safe route and get something like the Accord or the Fusion that offers you much more room and value for dollar.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7324 posts
734 upvotes
Toronto
rsang39 wrote: Based on your priorities, don't bother with the German cars. The amount you'd be paying for one will be for the premium on the name and not for extra features. I'd take the safe route and get something like the Accord or the Fusion that offers you much more room and value for dollar.
+1.. Also the back seat room in the German cars does not compare.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25237 posts
3102 upvotes
Montreal

What's to complain? Sub 6 second mid size sedan that will be better equipped than "premium" luxury cars with base packages and 800$ lease payments. Screw the Germans, and get the Fusion. You'll be 10k ahead, as well as 5 car lengths.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1165 posts
488 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: What's to complain? Sub 6 second mid size sedan that will be better equipped than "premium" luxury cars with base packages and 800$ lease payments. Screw the Germans, and get the Fusion. You'll be 10k ahead, as well as 5 car lengths.
I'll wait until a full review comes out to really form an opinion, but I suspect the Fusion Sport will lag behind the BMW in terms of handling.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4829 posts
150 upvotes
GTA
rsang39 wrote: I'll wait until a full review comes out to really form an opinion, but I suspect the Fusion Sport will lag behind the BMW in terms of handling.
That would not surprise me. Of course it's all a game of compromise and balance!
Rock it.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25237 posts
3102 upvotes
Montreal
rsang39 wrote: I'll wait until a full review comes out to really form an opinion, but I suspect the Fusion Sport will lag behind the BMW in terms of handling.
Yes it will. But you can take the cash you saved in twoonies and stick them in the trunk. You'll get your 50/50 weight distribution.

As for the question which car is comparable, the regal we from GM comes to mind. It has excellent handling but will be slower.

Buy the way, the 528I is an overweight pig.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)