• Last Updated:
  • Jun 7th, 2017 8:59 am
[OP]
Jan 2, 2011
144 posts
25 upvotes

2017 Honda Pilot... Best Price/Waiting time

Hi guys,

Anyone get a Honda Pilot recently? It seems like the dealers are getting a limited supply and can sell all they receive so they aren't offering the best deals.

Best I have heard was 2k off MSRP.

Thinking of getting a EX-L RES.

Also how long did you wait?

There is no supply shortage in USA and guys there are getting good deals.

Thanks!
17 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
11211 posts
1471 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Americans will almost always get a better deal than Canadians. The market for the State of California is probably equal to all of Canada, if not bigger. Keep in mind the cars sold in America may have different equipment compared to the ones sold in Canada. With the Acura TLX for example, heated rear seats were standard on the Technology package while in America, it won't be offered till the 2018 refresh.

Btw skip the Pilot with the 9 speed automatic. You'll come to regret getting that transmission. If you can, wait for the Odyssey and the 10 speed auto.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3092 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
I don't get why people are waiting 4+ months for these things as a factory order.... I'm also looking at a '17 EX-L RES, and just browsing on Autotrader, there's a handful of them sitting on dealer lots in the GTA, and quite a few colours too.

What is so special that you can't buy one off of a lot? And I imagine a dealer would probably be more inclined to move in-stock inventory anyways? The pricing for all the EX-L's in the GTA are within a few hundred dollars, which I'm sure can all be negotiated down to the same price.

If $2,000 below MSRP is the going rate, then make that offer to each of the dealers and take the first one that bites.
[OP]
Jan 2, 2011
144 posts
25 upvotes
It's not that it is sooo popular here. The fact is they aren't getting many given to them from USA.

I guess the production line in Alabama was getting ready for the new Odyssey.

The Pilot is overpriced. Its barely much more for the QX60 with rebates right now.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3092 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
learsid wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 1:10 pm
It's not that it is sooo popular here. The fact is they aren't getting many given to them from USA.

I guess the production line in Alabama was getting ready for the new Odyssey.

The Pilot is overpriced. Its barely much more for the QX60 with rebates right now.
Doesn't the QX60 have the same transmission as the Pathfinder... which is the wonky CVT that is plagued with a high failure rate?? As much as I want to stay away from the 9-speed transmission in the Pilot's Touring trim.. I'd want to stay even further away from the Nissan/Infiniti CVT
[OP]
Jan 2, 2011
144 posts
25 upvotes
Yeah the QX60 does... each SUV in this segment seems to have a flaw.

However a Honda priced the same as an Infiniti?
Nov 10, 2013
63 posts
30 upvotes
learsid wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 3:51 pm
Yeah the QX60 does... each SUV in this segment seems to have a flaw.

However a Honda priced the same as an Infiniti?
I think that's more of an indicator of Infiniti's depressed value rather than the Pilot being overpriced...
Mar 21, 2013
487 posts
229 upvotes
EDMONTON
Jonathanl10 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 6:19 pm
I think that's more of an indicator of Infiniti's depressed value rather than the Pilot being overpriced...
No it's not. The Honda is $5k+ more than most of its competitors.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2005
3092 posts
596 upvotes
Toronto
Jonathanl10 wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 6:19 pm
Bingo... nail on the head. Probably has the worst resale value out of the segment.
Blubbs wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 8:01 pm
No it's not. The Honda is $5k+ more than most of its competitors.
Trim for Trim... I think it's actually priced quite competitively. The Mazda CX-9 comes to mind.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1622 posts
816 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I find all the vehicles in this segment to be priced accordingly due to them having different features in different trims. I helped my dad picked the Pilot due to resale value and better space than Highlander. Nissan and Infiniti were okay, but their transmission scares me which is why we got the trusted 6 speed.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
2771 posts
1076 upvotes
I went to look at one of these last year and the salesman was pretty snobby refusing to deal. I definitely feel that these are overpriced, Acura was a lot more accommodating in terms of price. Not sure why Honda salesman think so highly of their cars and refusing to budge even though they had them in stock. Doesn't seem like they're that popular.
Nov 10, 2013
63 posts
30 upvotes
anhtuan wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 11:05 pm
I definitely feel that these are overpriced, Acura was a lot more accommodating in terms of price.
Are you saying Hondas are overpriced in terms of what MSRP is relative to other brands or on the premise that you couldn't 'deal' compared to others? If you think about it, rarely if ever (probably seen a few times in my lifetime) is Honda used in a commercial capacity (rental car, taxi). No 0% ever with 0.9 being the lowest on 24 month terms. Cars like Civic, CR-V, anything that comes out of Alliston you can get discounts on close to Unhaggle. Nothing like American brands though. SUV and large vehicles, the discounts are less relative to the amount of room they have. (Ex. How you can get $1,500 off a Civic now but may only be able to get $1,500 of a Pilot/Ridgeline.)

Acura's more accommodating on price because their product is a lot less competitive due to them being fancy Hondas. Nothing wrong with a fancy Honda in itself but a 'true' lux car shopper ain't looking. Routine subvented rates or 2000-5000 off ILX right up to MDX depending on season and MY. One big issue with MDX is that it doesn't offer pano roof, or the updated infotainment so for rebates, the Acura isn't a bad option. But if OP and others are hell bent on the Pilot despite the MDXs value proposition, then clearly the price gap closing between the two models is justified.
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1622 posts
816 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
anhtuan wrote:
Jun 5th, 2017 11:05 pm
I went to look at one of these last year and the salesman was pretty snobby refusing to deal. I definitely feel that these are overpriced, Acura was a lot more accommodating in terms of price. Not sure why Honda salesman think so highly of their cars and refusing to budge even though they had them in stock. Doesn't seem like they're that popular.
I agree that Acura is more accommodating in price but I feel this is due to it being in the luxury segment. Every single luxury dealer was able to give hefty discounts in the thousands. Acura needed to do the same to compete. Acura was able to give me $9K off, selling a 2017 MDX Tech for only $50k plus tax. But still couldn't justify the cost as it was a smaller vehicle and not much more upscale than Honda.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
Jul 23, 2013
160 posts
45 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bomber17 wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 2:57 am
I agree that Acura is more accommodating in price but I feel this is due to it being in the luxury segment. Every single luxury dealer was able to give hefty discounts in the thousands. Acura needed to do the same to compete. Acura was able to give me $9K off, selling a 2017 MDX Tech for only $50k plus tax. But still couldn't justify the cost as it was a smaller vehicle and not much more upscale than Honda.
Uh please tell me where you got 9k off MSRP, seems too good to be true.