• Feb 15th, 2021 9:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2324 posts
1601 upvotes
Calgary

2017 Honda Pilot Engine Light

Was driving around this afternoon in my 2017 Honda Pilot EX-L. While cruising at around 70km/h I heard a beep from the dash and noticed the check engine light had come on and the screen said “emission system problem”. There was absolutely no sign of any mechanical issue when this happened or after. I drove the car, parked at my destination, but when I turned it back on, the message was still there. Again, drove some more with no noticeable issues. This evening, I took it for a longer drive (around 60 kms total, some city, mostly highway). The light remained on but the car drove totally fine. For what it’s worth, I did fill up with gas this morning (I probably topped up an extra $0.50 after the first click - bad habit). It’s been around -20 here for about a week, including today, in case that’s relevant. Car has just over 60k kms on it.

Since dealerships are closed tomorrow for the holiday, I decided to order an ODB2 reader off of Amazon which will arrive tomorrow - mostly for curiousity (assuming it works, I can post the codes tomorrow once the device arrives). In the meantime, has anyone had something like this happen before?
18 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2324 posts
1601 upvotes
Calgary
jeffreypen wrote: Had a similar problem on a 2016. Brought to dealership and they replaced injectors. Had to wait 2 months for parts.

Covered under warranty even though injectors are not considered powertrain.

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/2016- ... em.143153/
Interesting - thanks for the quick response. Since my full warranty is over (still have powertrain left), that is good to know that I may still be covered “if” it’s the same issue. I guess tomorrow when the scanner arrives from Amazon, I can see if the codes that come up match that post.

While you were waiting for the parts, was the car still drivable?
Feb 1, 2007
139 posts
36 upvotes
Edmonton
I was actually driving it for several months before bringing it in.

Once I brought it to the dealership they gave me a loaner.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2324 posts
1601 upvotes
Calgary
jeffreypen wrote: I was actually driving it for several months before bringing it in.

Once I brought it to the dealership they gave me a loaner.
Wow, so a loaner car for 2 months? My dealership gives out loaners too which is great, but it’s usually a Civic which is a bit of a downgrade in the wintertime from the Pilot!
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36057 posts
10152 upvotes
Ottawa
You said you just filled up....did you properly close the gas cap? That is the number one reason for check engine lights. It could have been a little loose and worked it's way open during your drive.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Jan 15, 2017
3745 posts
3152 upvotes
Most likely the injectors. As mentioned above, common problem noted on the pilot forum.

FWIW - the Pilot has a capless fuel tank and you should never top it up with gas.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1125 posts
254 upvotes
Vaughan
not sure if this is related at all but my odyssey 2019 had a check engine light pop up and when i brought it to my mechanic. He plugged in the ODB2 reader and said it was an o2 sensor issue. He just deleted it and told me that if it comes back, I'd probably have to go back to the dealer to fix it since it's covered under warranty.

with covid, I realized that I haven't filled the gas up for over a month or two and I suspect that it was just old/bad gas because the light hasn't come up since.
Oct 3, 2017
856 posts
696 upvotes
otaknap wrote: not sure if this is related at all but my odyssey 2019 had a check engine light pop up and when i brought it to my mechanic. He plugged in the ODB2 reader and said it was an o2 sensor issue. He just deleted it and told me that if it comes back, I'd probably have to go back to the dealer to fix it since it's covered under warranty.

with covid, I realized that I haven't filled the gas up for over a month or two and I suspect that it was just old/bad gas because the light hasn't come up since.
If I had a vehicle under warranty and took it in to the dealer and they diagnosed the fault as a sensor I would not be happy with clearing it then wait and see. It will mean another trip back for one and quite possibly failure of the sensor once off warranty.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2016
1125 posts
254 upvotes
Vaughan
George613 wrote: If I had a vehicle under warranty and took it in to the dealer and they diagnosed the fault as a sensor I would not be happy with clearing it then wait and see. It will mean another trip back for one and quite possibly failure of the sensor once off warranty.
i agree but i didn't bring it to the dealer. i brought it to my local mechanic.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2324 posts
1601 upvotes
Calgary
Pete_Coach wrote: You said you just filled up....did you properly close the gas cap? That is the number one reason for check engine lights. It could have been a little loose and worked it's way open during your drive.
As the other poster pointed out, it’s capless in the Pilot. I did double check that the gas tank door was closed etc just in case though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2324 posts
1601 upvotes
Calgary
jeffreypen wrote: Had a similar problem on a 2016. Brought to dealership and they replaced injectors. Had to wait 2 months for parts.

Covered under warranty even though injectors are not considered powertrain.

https://www.piloteers.org/threads/2016- ... em.143153/
Still waiting for my code reader to arrive later today. In the meantime, I am booked in at the dealership for later this week to have a look.

In reading the post you linked to, someone mentioned their mechanic had suggested running some fuel line cleaner through the car to solve the problem. So I went to Canadian Tire this morning and picked some up. Poured it in the tank and drove home - no change. However, an hour later I turned the Pilot back on and the check engine light is now off! What I have no clue about is whether this is just a temporary fix, or if it is actually a solution to the problem.

Will still try running the code reader when it arrives tonight for curiousity (not sure what it will show since the engine light is off). And I plan to still keep my appointment with the dealership for later this week since I need an oil change anyway. Will post more updates if there are any...
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4019 posts
4150 upvotes
GTA
It could be any one of the hundreds of possible powertrain codes. It's literally impossible to guess. Scan the code and report back.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2324 posts
1601 upvotes
Calgary
derass wrote: It could be any one of the hundreds of possible powertrain codes. It's literally impossible to guess. Scan the code and report back.
Will it still show the code even though the check engine light is now off? Sorry new to this - for me, the code scanning part is really for curiousity/learning.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4019 posts
4150 upvotes
GTA
jarfgames wrote: Will it still show the code even though the check engine light is now off? Sorry new to this - for me, the code scanning part is really for curiousity/learning.
Usually codes that have gone away are stored as "history codes". The other categories are "permanent codes", "current codes" and "pending codes".

But it depends on the car and scanner. For example, the OEM Honda diagnostic software (i-HDS) will show all possible data and have every diagnostic function. Your OBD adapter and mobile app may only be able to read current codes and show limited data. That's the difference between a $20 and $2000 (per year) setup.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2324 posts
1601 upvotes
Calgary
derass wrote: Usually codes that have gone away are stored as "history codes". The other categories are "permanent codes", "current codes" and "pending codes".

But it depends on the car and scanner. For example, the OEM Honda diagnostic software (i-HDS) will show all possible data and have every diagnostic function. Your OBD adapter and mobile app may only be able to read current codes and show limited data. That's the difference between a $20 and $2000 (per year) setup.
Will check shortly assuming the scanner that Amazon just delivered works... check engine light still off...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2012
2324 posts
1601 upvotes
Calgary
The code that is showing in the app is P0430. No other codes. Note that the engine light is still off, ever since I ran the fuel injector cleaning through the car this morning but I could still see the code in the ODB2 app.