• Jul 20th, 2018 11:00 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
187 upvotes
Ottawa, ON

2017 Hyundai Santa Fe

Anybody here recently purchase a Santa Fe, if so, did you go with the Sport of XL, and did you look at both? If you did look at both, what swayed you one way or another?

I have not test driven either of these vehicles yet. My wife and I are looking to replace our 2009 Grand Caravan and wanted something with reasonable towing capacity. This is where I really knock Hyundai in terms of misleading potential customers.

With all other manufacturers, it was easy to find the towing capacities for various models and trims, they made it clear as to what engine size/vehicle trim level could tow and to what capacity. Hyundai however lacked this information, and states only the following both on their website and in their brochure.
Whether you choose the standard 2.4L Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engine or opt for the available 245 horsepower 2.0L twin-scroll turbocharged GDI engine, you'll be ready to take on your day in the redesigned Santa Fe Sport with power and confidence. The available active cornering control All-Wheel Drive system and 3,500 lbs of towing capacity provide even greater capability.
In no way does Hyundai explain what makes the towing capacity "available", so I would assume, that in order to take advantage of it, you'd simply require the trailer hitch, wiring, and possibly other components for better engine/transmission cooling. This was great, the Santa Fe Sport base model addressed all our needs in a vehicle, and the towing capacity.

So I reached out to a local dealership to make some enquiries, and the response I got absolutely floored me. Essentially the AWD model has 2,500lbs towing capacity, the FWD version with the 2.4L engine "has less than that" (did not advise how much). In order to get the full 3,500lbs one needs to purchase the 2.0T SE trim level, which comes in at a whopping $10,000 more than the base 2.4L FWD edition.

It is only now when I select the "Performance and Safety" tab of Hyundia's website do I see a description of the two engines and that only the 2.0 Turbo offers the 3,500 lbs towing capacity; though the description of the 2.4L engine does not state anything in terms of towing. So one needs to actually look at the 2.0 Turbo to realize there is a difference in regards to towing.

So with that I looked at the price points of the Santa Fe XL, the base model which has 5,000lbs towing capacity totals approx $37,000 MSRP after taxes. More than I had originally anticipated when looking at the Santa Fe Sport model, but less than the 2.0T SE trim level. I was really hoping that with some negotiation I could bring the purchase price of a potential vehicle close to the $30,000 mark, not sure that's so possible with the XL edition.

But I am curious, aside from my gripe about the towing capacities, who here purchased either vehicle, and who looked into both and was persuaded by one over the other?
26 replies
Sep 3, 2006
506 posts
93 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Hi,

how about the Kia Sorento with the V6 engine, AWD, that it has a 5000 lbs towing capabilities.
One must buy a towing accessories to be able to tow with this SUV......something in the $800 all in (please double check this price).
For 2016 year model, they have discounts up to $4000, if they have them in stock

We are really interested in 2017 Sorento and will buy it in next couple of weeks.
If you read reviews, the Kia Sorento is seen as a better one, especially when compare to Hyundai Santa Fe.
Alex on Autos -- Youtube is one of the best reviewers out there and Sorento is his favourite one for 2016.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
187 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Breton_Rex wrote: Hi,

how about the Kia Sorento with the V6 engine, AWD, that it has a 5000 lbs towing capabilities.
One must buy a towing accessories to be able to tow with this SUV......something in the $800 all in (please double check this price).
For 2016 year model, they have discounts up to $4000, if they have them in stock

We are really interested in 2017 Sorento and will buy it in next couple of weeks.
If you read reviews, the Kia Sorento is seen as a better one, especially when compare to Hyundai Santa Fe.
Alex on Autos -- Youtube is one of the best reviewers out there and Sorento is his favourite one for 2016.
I have not looked into the Kia. My local mechanic mentioned they can be difficult in getting parts in that they are not readily available in stock and he can have a delay in getting them. I am not sure if this strictly relates to OEM parts or not. Though he said this issue does not exist with Hyundai despite being "the same company".

I also don't know if his experience is primarily with older Kia's or newer ones as well.
Jan 6, 2013
49 posts
20 upvotes
Santa Fe XL Towing: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/dm-2013-l ... 00lbs.html
Based on some of the postings, the FWD models will suffer wheel slipping due to the added weight to the rear.

Santa Fe Sport Towing:

I purchased a 2017 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T Limited 2 weeks ago with plans to only towing a small tent trailer. I looked at the XL and didn't really like the look of the vehicle compared to the sport model. I also did not see the use of 3rd row seating. OTD the vehicle came to $43,500.

edit:
We took the 2.4L home for the weekend as the dealer wanted us to use it as we would for daily normal routine. Found the 2.4L to be noisy at higher rpm, slow response from acceleration input and takes a while to reach 60km/hr. Once we returned the vehicle we took the 2.0T for a short 10 minute drive and it was night and day.
Last edited by friedn00dles on Sep 21st, 2016 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
187 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Thanks for that detailed information. Now if only Hyundai would make that information available on their website similar to all other manufacturers!

We have a van, and while we only have 2 kids we do make use of that third row seating at times if we decide to take my in-laws with us when we are heading out for dinner or a day adventure rather than us taking two vehicles (they live only a block away from us). I don't know how often we'd use the 3rd row seating in an SUV though as it does seem cramped. The consideration for the XL model compared to the 2.0T SE model would be price points for the towing capacity.

We don't have a trailer at this point, but do plan to purchase a tent trailer. By getting at least 3,500lbs towing I satisfy myself that I should never have to worry that I'm pushing the limits of the vehicle.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
187 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
friedn00dles wrote: edit:
We took the 2.4L home for the weekend as the dealer wanted us to use it as we would for daily normal routine. Found the 2.4L to be noisy at higher rpm, slow response from acceleration input and takes a while to reach 60km/hr. Once we returned the vehicle we took the 2.0T for a short 10 minute drive and it was night and day.
Was there a reason why he wanted you to take the 2.4L out, or was that because you were undecided at that time and wanted to give you an opportunity to feel the difference?
Jan 6, 2013
49 posts
20 upvotes
Wood0209 wrote: Was there a reason why he wanted you to take the 2.4L out, or was that because you were undecided at that time and wanted to give you an opportunity to feel the difference?
We were initially looking at the Tuscon 2.0L. The motor was enough for that size/weight of vehicle but planning for future (baby/family) we needed more Cargo space. So we said we'll only look at the 2.4L Santa Fe's. Figured the increased displacement would make up for the weight difference but this was not the case.

We were able to negotiate $39,200 for the 2.4 Luxury after the first drive but we never pulled the trigger on it so they let us take the vehicle home for the weekend. Through out the entire weekend test drive we found it too sluggish off the line and especially uphill. I couldn't imagine towing anything uphill with the 2.4. When we returned the vehicle, we asked to look at the 2.0T. We got pricing close to our budget and was also offered 0% finance on it.

Another benefit right now out the 2.0T is that recommended fuel is regular and not premium like other motors (Mercedes/Nissan/Lexus 2.0T motors).*
*i am currently filling with premium (shell) for first 5 tanks, then switching to regular to see if there are any noticeable differences (Mileage/power)
Sep 3, 2006
506 posts
93 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Hi, Sorento 2016 and up are a new redesigned model and they are much better suv than it was till 2015 and down.
You have a 5 yrs of coverage, same road assistance with them (as well as Hyundai), so do not worry about the parts now.
Ask them (Kia dealer) about it, not your mechanic, who may judge Kia on it's past.

As for the towing capacities, make sure that 3500 lbs will be enough/future proof. We are going with 5000 lbs, as we want to be sure, we will be cover (a future boat).
But this will require to go with the V6 engine.

we are going with 3rd row, even we will use it probably few times a year; it does not affect storage capabilities, but in contrary, it can be useful when needed.

R.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32090 posts
17949 upvotes
Ottawa
friedn00dles wrote:
Wood0209 wrote: Was there a reason why he wanted you to take the 2.4L out, or was that because you were undecided at that time and wanted to give you an opportunity to feel the difference?
We were initially looking at the Tuscon 2.0L. The motor was enough for that size/weight of vehicle but planning for future (baby/family) we needed more Cargo space. So we said we'll only look at the 2.4L Santa Fe's. Figured the increased displacement would make up for the weight difference but this was not the case.

We were able to negotiate $39,200 for the 2.4 Luxury after the first drive but we never pulled the trigger on it so they let us take the vehicle home for the weekend. Through out the entire weekend test drive we found it too sluggish off the line and especially uphill. I couldn't imagine towing anything uphill with the 2.4. When we returned the vehicle, we asked to look at the 2.0T. We got pricing close to our budget and was also offered 0% finance on it.

Another benefit right now out the 2.0T is that recommended fuel is regular and not premium like other motors (Mercedes/Nissan/Lexus 2.0T motors).*
*i am currently filling with premium (shell) for first 5 tanks, then switching to regular to see if there are any noticeable differences (Mileage/power)
Keep in mind that the advertised hp/tq of the 2.0T is based on 91+ fuel.
Anything lower may not be dramatically noticeable, but it will put a heavier load on the engine when you tow.
I have a 3.5L TT under the hood of my SUV and have seen the power difference from dyno results posted by other owners.
Jan 6, 2013
49 posts
20 upvotes
So far no difference in mileage quite yet.
1st tank (regular) - 12.2km/100km (all city)
2nd tank (Premium) - 12.4km/100km (all city)
3rd tank (Premium) - 11.4/100km (City with 1 hwy 80km trip to the lake)
Sep 3, 2006
506 posts
93 upvotes
GTA Ontario
friedn00dles wrote: So far no difference in mileage quite yet.
1st tank (regular) - 12.2km/100km (all city)
2nd tank (Premium) - 12.4km/100km (all city)
3rd tank (Premium) - 11.4/100km (City with 1 hwy 80km trip to the lake)
Thanks for providing your numbers.
What is your daily trip average or sum of them?

Asking this question, because, my fuel consumption is almost double in the city, because of few short trips every day.
On the contrary, on hwy and fully loaded takes 8 liters/100 kms (16 in city, Pontiac Grand Am). Sorry if a bit of topic here, just curious.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1271 posts
365 upvotes
I just had a 2017 Santa Fe sport awd as a rental for one week.
The car was reeeaallllly slow. As mentioned above it didn't want to move. It's only when you push hard on the accelerator that the revs go up and moves like you would expect when not pressing hard. The engine becomes loud. Shifting is not smooth at all.
I tried on eco, sport and normal mode.
If you want to tow, DO NOT get this model. Even for everyday use do not get this model.
Maybe the 2.0 L is better???
Aug 1, 2012
794 posts
158 upvotes
Cambridge
I bought 2016 Santa Fe 2.0T SE last year, completed 1 yr with it last week. Sorry, cannot help you comparing it with XL as it was never into consideration, haven't towed anything with it as well.

Frankly, even the turbo version is not that great on pick up from 0, I feel the real power of turbo comes in when you want to accelerate in an already moving car. Slight push of gas gives immense push to the vehicle.
I haven't really checked how much they changed the 2017 version, but will try to answer any specific question you have about the vehicle.
Sep 3, 2006
506 posts
93 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Sorento (V6 engine) drive was nice smooth and responsive.....all positive about this suv--------- had a test drive last Saturday.
It was around 4 0 minutes city drive and 10 minutes on hwy.
The V6 engine in Kia Sorento is really nice....like it.

Writing about Kia, because my experience and the info based on my research was directed on that SUV.

Like Sorento's dashboard better.....but again it is my opinion and my wife's too.

The best for you may be to take a test drive car with the engine that fits your needs, and then get another test
with the bigger engine and have your own opinion. It may take an hour to test both engines and every sales person will be happy to help with this.
Just be honest with salesperson, why you want to test both engines.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
187 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
We plan to check them out on Saturday, the salesman that informed of the actual towing capacity of the Sport is offering to have both the Sport and the XL available so we can see direct comparisons. We won't be buying this weekend as the price points put it as one of the more expensive vehicles.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)