Automotive

2017 Hyundai Santa Fe fog lights only on with hi-beams?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2019 10:15 pm
[OP]
Nov 30, 2012
19 posts
2 upvotes
South Surrey

2017 Hyundai Santa Fe fog lights only on with hi-beams?

I have a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe. I just recently needed to turn on my fog lights for the first time. The manual says to turn on the parking lights and then flick the fog light switch on the left lights arm to turn it on (use the toggle switch). When I do that nothing happens. The fog lights only go on if I turn the high beams on and then toggle the fog light switch. When I asked at a Hyundai dealer they said it was a mistake in the manual and that the fog lights should go on with the high beams, but that doesn't seem right to me. Why would you want fog lights when your lights are on high as the high beams light will reflect back at you. Can anyone with a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe with fog lights comment on what setting they use to get the fog lights to come on?
Thanks in advance.
16 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
13782 posts
14286 upvotes
Oakville
He probably meant that you need your main lights need to be on.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
14950 posts
4183 upvotes
London
Usually low beam headlights must be “on” for fog lights to work
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10089 posts
6513 upvotes
GTA, ON
l69norm wrote: Usually low beam headlights must be “on” for fog lights to work
That's what my Tucson does, but then I wonder why I would want my low beam headlights to be on too when using fog lights....?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Nov 30, 2012
19 posts
2 upvotes
South Surrey
jordanr19871 wrote: was your car in park?
Thanks for all you replies. Specifically related to being in park.
As a matter of fact it was in park when I tested it as there was no change noticeable when I tried sliding the fog lights on while driving.
The Canadian Hyundai Santa Fe manual only says:
1. Turn on the park light.
2. Turn the light switch to the front fog light position.
3. To turn off the fog light, turn the light switch to the front fog light position again or turn off the park light.
The switch that is referred to is a slide toggle switch that is imbedded in the left arm that controls all the lights.
It doesn't say anything about low beams being on as someone was asking.
It doesn't say you can't be in park but maybe that is an issue?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2012
1271 posts
1611 upvotes
Thunder Bay, ON
chimaican wrote: That's what my Tucson does, but then I wonder why I would want my low beam headlights to be on too when using fog lights....?
You might not want your low beam headlamps on with fog lamps, but the law requires it. Low or high beam headlamps must be on when driving after dark (actually the Ont HTA defines it in terms of time before sunset or after sunrise). Driving after dark with only fog lamps is illegal. Years ago in a car I installed fog lamps with a separate switch that could be run without headlamps I got pulled over for it. Luckily no ticket.

I don't understand why someone would run high beams with fog lamps. Also you can have a maximum of 4 lighted lamps on the front of a vehicle. Low beams + fogs gives a wider field of view. Fog lamps without low-beam headlamps can be useful in very bad fog or snow because of the wide low beam, but the law does not allow it, at least in Ont.

Any car I have had with factory fogs only lets the fog lamps turn on with low beams, but not high beams.

P.S. Finicky terminology. Lamp refers to the fixture. Light refers to the bright stuff that comes from the lamp. :)
I solemnly swear, to never assume I have an inkling at which direction the market will head, and to never make any investments based on a timing strategy.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2012
19 posts
2 upvotes
South Surrey
Deepwater wrote: You might not want your low beam headlamps on with fog lamps, but the law requires it. Low or high beam headlamps must be on when driving after dark (actually the Ont HTA defines it in terms of time before sunset or after sunrise). Driving after dark with only fog lamps is illegal. Years ago in a car I installed fog lamps with a separate switch that could be run without headlamps I got pulled over for it. Luckily no ticket.

I don't understand why someone would run high beams with fog lamps. Also you can have a maximum of 4 lighted lamps on the front of a vehicle. Low beams + fogs gives a wider field of view. Fog lamps without low-beam headlamps can be useful in very bad fog or snow because of the wide low beam, but the law does not allow it, at least in Ont.

Any car I have had with factory fogs only lets the fog lamps turn on with low beams, but not high beams.

P.S. Finicky terminology. Lamp refers to the fixture. Light refers to the bright stuff that comes from the lamp. :)
What you said makes total sense to me. Low beams with fog lights or just fog lights with just parking lights turned on should work. We were trying low beams with the fog lights and the fog lights wouldn't come on. I'll need to go back to the dealer. Thanks everyone for you help.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4896 posts
2239 upvotes
Mississauga
Every car I’ve had with foglights, they would come on with the lowbeams or (many years ago) with the parking lights on. Any time I had the highbeams on the foglights would turn off.

I think there’s something wrong with the OP’s vehicle.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10089 posts
6513 upvotes
GTA, ON
That's how I remember my old cars, you could turn on the fogs with only the parking lights if you chose to. I didn't realize it was law now that fogs have to be with low beams. That explains everything.

Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32029 posts
17917 upvotes
Ottawa
As mentioned by others, you need to have the low beams on.
On my Explorer, the fogs automatically turn off when high beams are turned on.
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14227 posts
1116 upvotes
chimaican wrote: That's how I remember my old cars, you could turn on the fogs with only the parking lights if you chose to. I didn't realize it was law now that fogs have to be with low beams. That explains everything.
If it's dark/grey/raining weather you should have your low beams on anyway. So many people drive around in the rain without their lights on it's crazy.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10089 posts
6513 upvotes
GTA, ON
@Ojam I'm always one of the first to always turn on their lights. In fact, I'm the one who is usually cursing when others don't.

Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
4896 posts
2239 upvotes
Mississauga
Fortunately, my lowbeam lights come on when I turn the wipers on.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7223 posts
3536 upvotes
Alberta
I notice just about everyone drives with their low beams and their fog lamps on all the time when not needed. Do they think it's cool to drive with fog lamps on? Does basically nothing for distance.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)