• Last Updated:
  • Apr 11th, 2017 3:37 pm
[OP]
Sep 15, 2006
928 posts
329 upvotes
Ottawa

2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport - Ex Rental, What to Offer

I'm curious to know what you guys think a good offer would be for a 2017 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T Limited. It is an ex rental with 4k km, listed at 32500. Unhaggles invoice price is 38,731. I might stop by this week to check it out and I want to have a number in mind. My numbers are obviously as low as possible but I know I have to be reasonable.
16 replies
May 21, 2015
776 posts
365 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I'd be wondering why they're getting rid of it with a mere 4000k on the clock. Who's selling it,, the rental company, or a Hyundai dealer as a fleet return?
[OP]
Sep 15, 2006
928 posts
329 upvotes
Ottawa
Beneful1 wrote: I'd be wondering why they're getting rid of it with a mere 4000k on the clock. Who's selling it,, the rental company, or a Hyundai dealer as a fleet return?
Hyundai dealership, not the reason but they have a bunch with similar details that just came in. Would you stay away?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2012
5486 posts
2670 upvotes
Winnipeg
4k is pretty low. almost brand new
[OP]
Sep 15, 2006
928 posts
329 upvotes
Ottawa
Wpegger wrote: 4k is pretty low. almost brand new
I know, it seems like a good price as it is, but there's always room to negotiate. Just looking for some opinions.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
26049 posts
11128 upvotes
Toronto
seems pretty decent to me. About $10,000 off the list or about 25% off msrp. As long there are no other fees involved, except license. If dealer adds back freight/pdi, dealer admin fee and any bogus fees, then I say you will have to negotiate for theme to be taken off completely.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32033 posts
17917 upvotes
Ottawa
In general, rentals have a bad rep, but at only 4000k km and at the current listed price; it's worth the time to go check it out and make an offer.
[OP]
Sep 15, 2006
928 posts
329 upvotes
Ottawa
vkizzle wrote: In general, rentals have a bad rep, but at only 4000k km and at the current listed price; it's worth the time to go check it out and make an offer.
I agree, I'm a little hesitant on rentals but with the low mileage I'd like to entertain it. I mean rental companies still have to maintain their cars as well, but you always get those people that will ding the car up without caring about them, so I'd definitely do a few walk arounds plus have it looked over by my mechanic if I got to that point.
Sep 10, 2010
99 posts
67 upvotes
engman13 wrote: I'm curious to know what you guys think a good offer would be for a 2017 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T Limited. It is an ex rental with 4k km, listed at 32500. Unhaggles invoice price is 38,731. I might stop by this week to check it out and I want to have a number in mind. My numbers are obviously as low as possible but I know I have to be reasonable.
Where are you located? That's a pretty good deal IMO. They're selling that for more around here.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1914 posts
1261 upvotes
Ya that's a damn good deal OP. If no bogus fees try for like 1k off but honestly even if you bought at sticker you wouldn't be bad on this deal...10k off is about what I got for my 2016 used Honda Accord V6 Touring but had a lot more mileage than that.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Mar 9, 2010
666 posts
540 upvotes
I always assumed cars to lose 20% as soon as they are driven off the lot. With that, target just under $31k. Also check what others in your area are selling for (same year, low km's) to see if the asking price is similar to others.

FYI, Hyundai lists the price as $41,299 less $4,000 for a cash price ($37,299). I wouldn't be over concerned that it is a rental as Hyundai has 5 years, 100,000 warranty across the board, not just powertrain.
Sep 10, 2010
99 posts
67 upvotes
jdmhfx wrote: I always assumed cars to lose 20% as soon as they are driven off the lot. With that, target just under $31k. Also check what others in your area are selling for (same year, low km's) to see if the asking price is similar to others.

FYI, Hyundai lists the price as $41,299 less $4,000 for a cash price ($37,299). I wouldn't be over concerned that it is a rental as Hyundai has 5 years, 100,000 warranty across the board, not just powertrain.
I don't think that 20% is reality though. Of course it depreciates once driven but 20% seems like far too much. The dealership told me $0.12/km is what they discount, which I think is total BS but I don't think the actual amount is 20%
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
26049 posts
11128 upvotes
Toronto
there only to be concerned is the accident repair done in house to avoid being shown up on insurance claim. If you are buying this ex-rental, then have the dealer make a written declaration that car was never in an accident and/or body repairs that had been performed in house.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
1914 posts
1261 upvotes
booblehead wrote: there only to be concerned is the accident repair done in house to avoid being shown up on insurance claim. If you are buying this ex-rental, then have the dealer make a written declaration that car was never in an accident and/or body repairs that had been performed in house.
This is great advice I never considered when looking for a used car. Excellent advice.
RFD is love. RFD is life. I wish I had an RFDer for a wife.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2197 posts
1598 upvotes
Ottawa
OP, before you make any final decisions, do some research on the Hyundai 2.0 turbo engines. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that those engines are very picky when it comes to how they're broken in and that they require a longer than normal break in period. Just a heads up.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)