Automotive

2017 NIssan Leaf - potential 50% off - $15,998 (Ontario only)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2017 9:36 pm
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
monty0501 wrote: Thanks! Ok from poor to acceptable:
IIHS Crash Test

The EV rebate, with the higher EV rebate, I'm more inclined to get something now; I'm really liking the Kia Soul also; albeit 150km range; and the Focus is pretty nice.
Blah, back to the drawing board.
We looked at the Soul, but the combination of the higher price and the smaller trunk made the decision to lease the Leaf an easy decision. With the 30kWh battery the Leaf also has more range than the Soul.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13102 upvotes
monty0501 wrote: Really considering this for myself, but I'm torn with the IIHS crash test reviews.
Anyone already look into this and can save me some time? Wondering what your thoughts are on the crash reports. This is for a second car, we have a newborn who would not generally be in this car with me and in rather in our Subaru.

IIHS Crash Reports
Remember that Small Overlap front test came in around 2014. If any car/platform that was released before 2014 doesn't have this test in mind. Hence most have poor to acceptable.

Any car that has gone thru major redesign since 2014 has this in mind and has no excuse to have a poor/acceptable rating.

Case in point 2016 Audi A4 vs 2017 Audi A4. Went from poor to good when chassis got updated.

I would expect Leaf will get betting rating when it get updated. But for now, you can still find plenty of poor performers on the road from all brands regarding Small Overlap.
Jan 16, 2017
5 posts
8 upvotes
I just bought my brand new 2016 Nissan Leaf S, cash deal. on the road all inclusive for $18K yesterday. It's a smaller battery but save me over $5000 to the 2017. If I can drive this for 8 years, the gas saving should pay off itself.
Feb 4, 2006
66 posts
1 upvote
Brampton
IntrepidRT wrote: We looked at the Soul, but the combination of the higher price and the smaller trunk made the decision to lease the Leaf an easy decision. With the 30kWh battery the Leaf also has more range than the Soul.
Yea Im noticing that also. Perhaps Ill checkout the Ford Focus.
Xtrema wrote: Remember that Small Overlap front test came in around 2014. If any car/platform that was released before 2014 doesn't have this test in mind. Hence most have poor to acceptable.

Any car that has gone thru major redesign since 2014 has this in mind and has no excuse to have a poor/acceptable rating.

Case in point 2016 Audi A4 vs 2017 Audi A4. Went from poor to good when chassis got updated.

I would expect Leaf will get betting rating when it get updated. But for now, you can still find plenty of poor performers on the road from all brands regarding Small Overlap.
Good to know that this was based on a new test. I'm really liking the Leaf; probably would have purchased it last night, this just threw a monkey wrench in the entire equation. I wonder when the redesign will happen.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12900 posts
13102 upvotes
monty0501 wrote: Good to know that this was based on a new test. I'm really liking the Leaf; probably would have purchased it last night, this just threw a monkey wrench in the entire equation. I wonder when the redesign will happen.
The fight for Japanese vs Korean battery tech will dictate how soon we will see a new Leaf. Current battery tech is by Nissan/NEC with funding by US government. The tech Ghosn (Nissan Renault CEO) want to use is the same LG Chem battery in the Bolt. So it's an internal struggle between these 2 camps that may hold up the new Leaf. Some rumor that Leaf will come in 2 trims, the cheaper trim will be the current tech carried over with exact same mileage and upper trim will feature the LG Chem battery that can do 200 miles like Bolt.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
monty0501 wrote: Yea Im noticing that also. Perhaps Ill checkout the Ford Focus.

Good to know that this was based on a new test. I'm really liking the Leaf; probably would have purchased it last night, this just threw a monkey wrench in the entire equation. I wonder when the redesign will happen.
Redesign has already been spotted, nothing exciting IMO though, looks boring. I'm SURE that they've improved it though, I just dislike the exterior from what I've seen of the new one. The current one has a nicer rear end, the front end on the new one is probably a bit nicer.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1050 ... -spy-shots
Mar 1, 2017
2 posts
IntrepidRT wrote: We looked at the Soul, but the combination of the higher price and the smaller trunk made the decision to lease the Leaf an easy decision. With the 30kWh battery the Leaf also has more range than the Soul.
I am trying to get lease figures from a local dealer with no luck yet. May I ask what model you are leasing and what the terms are - monthly payment, term and money due at delivery? Cheers.
Mar 1, 2017
2 posts
cfcheong88 wrote: I just bought my brand new 2016 Nissan Leaf S, cash deal. on the road all inclusive for $18K yesterday. It's a smaller battery but save me over $5000 to the 2017. If I can drive this for 8 years, the gas saving should pay off itself.
Wow - that's amazing! May I ask what dealer you bought your Leaf from?
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
cfcheong88 wrote: I just bought my brand new 2016 Nissan Leaf S, cash deal. on the road all inclusive for $18K yesterday. It's a smaller battery but save me over $5000 to the 2017. If I can drive this for 8 years, the gas saving should pay off itself.
REALLY good deal........my 4 year lease payments on my 2015 will come out to around $18k. I hope it came with the quick charge port as the Ontario government is going to be putting in a LOT of level 3 chargers starting this year. Wasn't important a few years ago because you couldn't really use it in Ontario anyways.
Last edited by Rob_EV on Mar 2nd, 2017 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
CarSense wrote: I am trying to get lease figures from a local dealer with no luck yet. May I ask what model you are leasing and what the terms are - monthly payment, term and money due at delivery? Cheers.
My 2015 Leaf S with the 24kWh battery is a 24k/year 48 month lease. $378 including taxes, $0 down. At the time the incentive was $8500, not $14000. I KNOW lease rates have gone up, but I've heard (not necessarily true) that the Ford Focus electric has very reasonable payments of $120 +tax biweekly? The Focus electric seems like it would be VERY competitive for the 2017 model year as well (don't bother with the 2016).
Oct 31, 2009
50 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
IntrepidRT wrote: There are math problems with the original calculation. Discount is not quite that steep. Discount should be calculated after tax, makes it $18k + $2k delivery/PDI + 13% tax = approx $22600 on the road. My dad would have bought one in a second, but we're holding a bunch of Model 3 reservations and he can and should afford a loaded Model 3 instead. The Leaf is a better car than anything you can get below $30k (the Focus Electric is apparently very competitive as well now which I didn't know before). If people would actually test drive them, there would be a lot more of them on the road. Like I said earlier in this thread though, 2 years ago was a really good time to get a Leaf, but now there are other options either here or coming very soon. I strongly encourage everyone here to go test drive any electric vehicle you can (except for the imiev, that thing is terrible).
Thats a good call! The Tesla 3 is supposed to start around $35,000. Might be worth while to see what government incentives it will have.
Jan 20, 2017
145 posts
135 upvotes
Toronto
legolego wrote: Thats a good call! The Tesla 3 is supposed to start around $35,000. Might be worth while to see what government incentives it will have.
$35,000 USD
35,000 USD = 47,000 CAD today
Thank you RFDer for:
Zoomer $36 plan 2GB Data 400 Minutes Free HUAWEI GR5
Cannet $35 plan 30M/5M Free Modem
Total GCR cashback $356.41

NEVER argue with a negative person.
You will always lose.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
legolego wrote: Thats a good call! The Tesla 3 is supposed to start around $35,000. Might be worth while to see what government incentives it will have.
LOL, the Model 3 won't start a penny below $45k for the base model. Once you put options on, it'll be somewhere around $75k. Still a LOT cheaper than a BMW M3, but don't be under the illusion that it'll be a cheap car. It will be affordable ONLY IF you are also comparing it to other premium ICE vehicles.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15428 upvotes
Socially Distanced
IntrepidRT wrote: LOL, the Model 3 won't start a penny below $45k for the base model. Once you put options on, it'll be somewhere around $75k. Still a LOT cheaper than a BMW M3, but don't be under the illusion that it'll be a cheap car. It will be affordable ONLY IF you are also comparing it to other premium ICE vehicles.
So if you add leather seats that makes 100K, rustproofing makes 125K, and satellite radio makes 150k?
Damn expensive car Face With Tears Of Joy
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
Quentin5 wrote: So if you add leather seats that makes 100K, rustproofing makes 125K, and satellite radio makes 150k?
Damn expensive car Face With Tears Of Joy
I plan on getting dual motors with ludicrous & full autonomous driving as 2 options I REALLY want. Most other vehicles don't even have 2 very expensive options like these available. Probably $20k minimum for those 2 options alone.

Basically 2 options for the price of a Leaf on a "cheap/affordable" Tesla. Not as affordable as they insinuate it will be IMO.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15428 upvotes
Socially Distanced
IntrepidRT wrote: I plan on getting dual motors with ludicrous & full autonomous driving as 2 options I REALLY want. Most other vehicles don't even have 2 very expensive options like these available. Probably $20k minimum for those 2 options alone.

Basically 2 options for the price of a Leaf on a "cheap/affordable" Tesla. Not as affordable as they insinuate it will be IMO.
On top of 150k your adding 20K, so 170K plus taxes and fees, your going to buy a 200K car
Congratulations Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
Quentin5 wrote: On top of 150k your adding 20K, so 170K plus taxes and fees, your going to buy a 200K car
Congratulations Smiling Face With Sunglasses
I must be missing something because you're not making any sense. Will probably be about $75k minus incentives of $14k and possibly no tax.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32149 posts
15428 upvotes
Socially Distanced
IntrepidRT wrote: I must be missing something
i think you are
Jan 26, 2014
890 posts
536 upvotes
Toronto, ON
IntrepidRT wrote: I plan on getting dual motors with ludicrous & full autonomous driving as 2 options I REALLY want. Most other vehicles don't even have 2 very expensive options like these available. Probably $20k minimum for those 2 options alone.

I'm almost certain the 2 options won't be $20k that would prevent them from selling, which is contrary to what a businesses main goal. It will be priced at a price where it is projected to make the most money + Tesla tax + early adopter tax and adjusted for what the competition is selling theirs for.
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2008
10276 posts
9274 upvotes
Kitchener
omegadivide wrote: I'm almost certain the 2 options won't be $20k that would prevent them from selling, which is contrary to what a businesses main goal. It will be priced at a price where it is projected to make the most money + Tesla tax + early adopter tax and adjusted for what the competition is selling theirs for.
Full autonomous ISN'T cheap and 0-60 in low 3 seconds ALSO isn't cheap. This car will best the BMW M3 in most categories and cost $30k less if it's priced at $65k. Also, Tesla will undermine sales of their Model S if they don't charge enough for these 2 options.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)