• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2020 8:58 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2979 posts
264 upvotes
Burlington

2017 Nissan Murano - Grinding Sound When Turning

Wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue? Out of the blue noticed it about a week back. My dealership is closed till next week due to covid-19. A colleague of mine said that its apparently a common issue with Infinity/Nissan and had his fixed a while back but he's no car guy and didn't really know what it was.

Just curious if anyone is familiar with this as a possible common issue. I have a newborn and a toddler and this is our go to vehicle but I don't want to drive it if its unsafe (not that we're doing much right now!)

The sound almost sounds like the metal shield behind the rotor grinding on the turn but what I can visually see nothing appears out of place.
17 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1473 posts
2817 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
If your applying the brake during a turn, you could be having the brake pads grind/shave off the rust. If it happens with no brakes applied, then it could be worn CV joints/half shafts or worn out struts mounts if the sound if coming from the front. Lastly, does it happen at any speed or in a specific direction (left/right). If it happens only in a specific direction, either left or right, it could be a worn wheel bearing or hub. If this just recently started happening, it typically not critical to driving though it will likely get worse and become a hazzard.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2979 posts
264 upvotes
Burlington
fordmaple wrote: If your applying the brake during a turn, you could be having the brake pads grind/shave off the rust. If it happens with no brakes applied, then it could be worn CV joints/half shafts or worn out struts mounts if the sound if coming from the front. Lastly, does it happen at any speed or in a specific direction (left/right). If it happens only in a specific direction, either left or right, it could be a worn wheel bearing or hub. If this just recently started happening, it typically not critical to driving though it will likely get worse and become a hazzard.
Braking or non-braking, hearing it at basically any speed. Primarily noticed it on the front when turning right but pretty sure I've heard it turning left as well.

Not a lot of driving going on. Kiddo's appts are done for a few more weeks and other than a grocery run the car will just sit around. Waiting to hear back from the dealership when they reopen to get it looked at!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2007
1698 posts
999 upvotes
have you had your pads replaced? it could be the warning tab on the pads, or even the pads down to metal?
- Insert Something here so you will be able to recognize me.
Jul 3, 2017
200 posts
231 upvotes
Southern Ontario
I would probably say wheel bearings. We had both front wheel bearings replaced under warranty on our 2015 Murano after roughly 50-60K km. They went within 6 months of each other. I would reach out to a local dealer and see if they can bring it in.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
3349 posts
555 upvotes
Without hearing it myself, this is what I would look into.

1. Brake shield is bent and grinds against the rotor when turning (happened to me). Take the wheels off and check to see if the brake shield is rusted or bent, and check it for grind marks. Not really a big deal.
2. CV Joint is going on one side. Usually it's whatever direction you are turning, the opposite side has the problem. Park the vehicle and give the CV axles a shake, see if they wiggle or knock. Definitely something to fix before it gets worse.
Banned
Mar 7, 2007
5347 posts
3026 upvotes
Is the dust boot broken by any chance? Of the inner tie rods.

Did you already lift the car, or look under, to search for obvious damage?

I mean, it would be great if you can give more information. A grinding noise could be caused by many things.
561 upvotes
MISSISSAUGA
DarkMasterMX wrote: Wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue? Out of the blue noticed it about a week back. My dealership is closed till next week due to covid-19. A colleague of mine said that its apparently a common issue with Infinity/Nissan and had his fixed a while back but he's no car guy and didn't really know what it was.

Just curious if anyone is familiar with this as a possible common issue. I have a newborn and a toddler and this is our go to vehicle but I don't want to drive it if its unsafe (not that we're doing much right now!)
I own a Nissan Murano too. In my previous situations similar to yours it turned out to be the wheel bearing. It is a safety issue.

The sound almost sounds like the metal shield behind the rotor grinding on the turn but what I can visually see nothing appears out of place.
I own a Nissan Murano too. In my precious situations similar to yours, it turned out to be the wheel bearing. It is a safety issue.
"You have more chances of getting hit by a lightning or getting eaten by a shark than actually winning a lottery"
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2014
1506 posts
1106 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If it sounds like Chewbacca (from Star Wars), you might just be low on power steering fluid
-------------
GRAMMAR: The difference between "Feeling you're nuts." and "Feeling your nuts."
English is a difficult language. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
1224 posts
580 upvotes
Richmond Hill
CV joint
steering rack component
strut bearing
wheel bearing (can deteriorate to this point but unlikely)
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2979 posts
264 upvotes
Burlington
Dealership is finally open called in for an appt next week. Always a great impression of the vehicle quality when the lady says "ohh yeah thats a common issue on the murano... some rogues but mostly murano."

She implied its commonly the boot but I'm not sure... it doesn't sound like a harsh grinding most of a constant tinny grind.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
DarkMasterMX wrote: Dealership is finally open called in for an appt next week. Always a great impression of the vehicle quality when the lady says "ohh yeah thats a common issue on the murano... some rogues but mostly murano."
At least she told you the truth instead of the ol' horseshit line most of them give when they tell you, "oh that's weird we never heard of that problem before"...then you proceed to go wait in the waiting area and start some small talk with ppl and there's like two other people getting the same thing done :lol:

I don't go typically go to stealers but warranty work you have to and those are the kind of nonsense lines they give you. I remember one time one of the guys gave me that and I told him about how the problem is all over the internet and everyone knows about it and then he had the audacity to come back with, "don't believe everything you read on the internet." :rolleyes: Guys like that need a slap in the face lol.

Rather they just tell the truth instead of playing games.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
Grinding sounds at all speeds can be a lot of things.

If there's a metallic "tinny" tone to it, it can be just a bent dust shield. I had this happen to me a while back but it was bent in a weird place and I had to remove the rotor to see where the shield was bent. A simple fix and took me less than 30 minutes to correct.

It can also be a stuck pad that isn't retreating from the rotor properly. This can either come from a seized caliper (again, an easy fix) or binding between the pad's ears and the clips. Neither of these are difficult fixes.

And, yes, it can be a CV joint or a hub/bearing. Those are still DIY but a higher degree of difficulty.

If you're hearing it more when turning, that can indicate that it's a front wheel. Not always but often. So, put on your parking brake, and jack up your front wheels and spin them. Often, that is enough to replicate the sound. And sometimes, you can tell that one side spins more freely than the other. Either way, that can help you locate the wheel that requires further investigation. If one wheel doesn't spin as freely as the other and if the CV boot doesn't appear to have any rips in it, I would 100% suspect the bearing. If the bearing is going, I would absolutely avoid long highway speed trips until it is replaced.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2004
14972 posts
213938 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

Oh, I got that a few months ago on my Versa. The left spring broke...

Ju Leon...
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2979 posts
264 upvotes
Burlington
Got my car in finally (since it's under warranty till end of year). Got a call they're saying front rotor has a rust lip on it and is causing the grinding noise, along with front pads being worn to 2mm. Car has 49k on it, seems premature for pads but it is a larger car so maybe?

Things I read implied the grinding noise, if brakes, would occur if breaking but it occurs whether breaking or not.

They're advising replacing at least the front brakes and rotors and if I wanted to do both front and back it's a cool... $1600-1700.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1473 posts
2817 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
DarkMasterMX wrote: Got my car in finally (since it's under warranty till end of year). Got a call they're saying front rotor has a rust lip on it and is causing the grinding noise, along with front pads being worn to 2mm. Car has 49k on it, seems premature for pads but it is a larger car so maybe?

Things I read implied the grinding noise, if brakes, would occur if breaking but it occurs whether breaking or not.

They're advising replacing at least the front brakes and rotors and if I wanted to do both front and back it's a cool... $1600-1700.
Guessed it! That said price is outrageous. Do it yourself...you can do it! Have confidence. :-)
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
2979 posts
264 upvotes
Burlington
fordmaple wrote: Guessed it! That said price is outrageous. Do it yourself...you can do it! Have confidence. :-)
Haha, guess you did! Just surprised since it happens even when brakes aren't applied. But perhaps the wear tab is hitting on the turn.

I already plan to do it myself now that I know that's the problem :-)

Seems premature for brakes and rotors tho :-(. Only 49,000km on the car. It's my wife's car and she isn't by any stretch an agressive driver or heavy braker.
May 31, 2020
0 posts
I had what sounds to be the same issue with my 2018 Murano. I took it to Nissan and the rotors had rust on them. They were cleaned and lubricated. $260 taxes included.