Automotive

2017 Nissan Sentra SR Turbo - Civic 1.5T Alternative?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2016 7:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1188 posts
528 upvotes

2017 Nissan Sentra SR Turbo - Civic 1.5T Alternative?

Nissan is finally bringing out a respectable Sentra with the new 2017 SR Turbo. Will be powered by the Jukes 188hp & 177lb/ft tq engine, and will be offered with a 6 speed manual in addition to the CVT. Other key upgrades include
- Larger brakes
- Stiffer springs with an increased spring rate
- Increased dampening rate

Thoughts? The C-Segment market has always been interesting and I couldn't quite understand why Nissan would offer such an underpowered engine along with it's "unique" styling. The Sentra has trailed pretty much every other C-Segment car in sales (Civic, Corolla, Elantra, Cruze, etc) so it will be interesting to see if an increase output option would sway buyers away. I doubt it'll be as fast as the new Civic 1.5T but kudos to Nissan for taking a step in the right direction and offering a competitive powerplant.

http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-galle ... and-info#3
http://jalopnik.com/the-2017-sentra-sr- ... 1786496088
16 replies
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20934 posts
5352 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Very attractive car. But I would black out the chrome on the front grill to give it a more aggressive look.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1034 posts
741 upvotes
That still seems super slow. Celicas and preludes of 15 years ago made more even naturally aspirated. Nowadays 4 cyl turbos are in the 300 HP range for most manufacturers
Deal Expert
Mar 1, 2008
16338 posts
5695 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
While it looks good, does it drive good? A lot of reviews have said the base Sentra drives awful and inside is cheaper than dirt.
Ken_vs_Ryu wrote: That still seems super slow. Celicas and preludes of 15 years ago made more even naturally aspirated. Nowadays 4 cyl turbos are in the 300 HP range for most manufacturers
It's meant to go up against the Civic EX-T, Mazda 3 GT, Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T or GLI, and the likes. It's not an all out hot hatchback or anything close to it.
RFD is love. RFD is life.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1067 posts
435 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I applaud Nissan for offering new powerplants, ignore the people crying "My SR20xx made 200hp in 2001"..this isn't meant to be an equivalent performance model.

This is an SR model, not an SER, not a Spec-V.

That being said, the Sentra is still an awful vehicle when compared to its competition. It's outdated interior and quality leave a lot of room for improvement.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
5361 posts
1902 upvotes
Abbottabad
Great, more ricers.

Manufacturers need to dump these 'Type R' models.

They promote aggressive driving and testicle showing off contests.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5083 posts
6663 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Really? People find that attractive?

This is what I see in my rearview mirror:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1188 posts
528 upvotes
Clayden wrote: I applaud Nissan for offering new powerplants, ignore the people crying "My SR20xx made 200hp in 2001"..this isn't meant to be an equivalent performance model.

That being said, the Sentra is still an awful vehicle when compared to its competition. It's outdated interior and quality leave a lot of room for improvement.
Yeah the interior isn't anywhere near the top of the class. The screen is small and the fit and finish in some areas is lagging. A good example are the door panels which feel a lot cheaper than the other offerings. But that said, I think its a very good start for the company to try to bring in potential buyers of the Civic 1.5T or Mazda 3 GT who want a sportier car.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
4859 posts
182 upvotes
GTA
Clayden wrote: I applaud Nissan for offering new powerplants, ignore the people crying "My SR20xx made 200hp in 2001"..this isn't meant to be an equivalent performance model.

My experience owning a Sentra Spec-V put Nissan on my permanently banned company list.

Unfortunately I didn't have much of an option on a recent vacation rental car. Ended up with a Sentra, and wow - it's horrible. Beefing up the power plant would certainly help its anemic power - the car we had was absolutely atrocious for acceleration - but wouldn't save its interior and user interface. I honestly don't understand how anyone could test drive a Sentra and be happy with it given that there are a number of viable alternatives.
Rock it.
May 5, 2016
426 posts
220 upvotes
Toronto
Lipstick on a pig.

The sad thing is, the improvements just makes the car class competitive in the acceleration, handling and the braking department. Highly doubt it will pull away Civic and Mazda 3 buyers from its torsion beam suspension, it's heaviest in its class, substandard seats, terrible infotainment screen, interior materials, etc. Oh and now you will have to use premium gas for this turbo drivetrain.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2003
15048 posts
1362 upvotes
Markham
iamskyhigh wrote: Great, more ricers.

Manufacturers need to dump these 'Type R' models.

They promote aggressive driving and testicle showing off contests.
This isn't a "type r" model... Did you think that just because of the tarbo?
ShadowVlican
Sep 12, 2016
1 posts
It's nice that they're giving the choice for a 6MT I guess, but the car still looks like they squished the front and rear end toward the middle.

It's not too exciting but I think it's still a step in the right direction for Nissan.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20934 posts
5352 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Ken_vs_Ryu wrote: That still seems super slow. Celicas and preludes of 15 years ago made more even naturally aspirated. Nowadays 4 cyl turbos are in the 300 HP range for most manufacturers
Yes they had more power. But you had to rev the hell out of it to get going. This Sentra engine makes 177 lbs torque at a mere 1600 rpm as opposed to 5500-6000 rpms in those engines 15 years ago. Just a touch on the gas pedal gets the car moving effortlessly.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Banned
Mar 11, 2016
2081 posts
887 upvotes
great a 25-30k Sentra...just what we need
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
37032 posts
22994 upvotes
Center of Universe
Nothing a good tune and direct bolt-ons can't fix.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2014
1188 posts
528 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Nothing a good tune and direct bolt-ons can't fix.
The tuning market should be good for the new Sentra although I don't know how much you'd need to shell out to make it quick.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22208 posts
2873 upvotes
Sentra is awful right now.

Bring back the B15 style without the butterfly valve problem engines PLEASE