• Last Updated:
  • Jul 7th, 2017 7:51 pm
[OP]
Jun 6, 2015
109 posts
115 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

2017 Rav4 VS CRV True price comparison

So I have been planning to buy either CRV or Rav4 and needless to say there are some prices which are typically ignored till you are sitting at dealer finance office and you can't do this type of comparison at that point. Here's my analysis for CRV and Rav4:

Honda CRV LX AWD

Unhaggle base price +2% dealer = 28164.2
Mandatory fee (including block heater, I am in AB) = 2131
Total + tax (5% AB) = 31810
Finance charge (Honda 48 mo finance rate is 2.49% for crv) = 1618
Total CRV cost = 33428

Rav4 LE AWD

Unhaggle base price +2% dealer = 28039
Mandatory fee (including block heater, I am in AB) = 2211
Total + tax (5% AB) = 31763
Finance charge (Toyota 48 mo finance rate is 0.49% for rav4) = 313
Total Rav4 LE AWD cost = 32076

Rav4 XLE FWD

Unhaggle base price +2% dealer = 29218.9
Total + tax (5% AB) = 33001
Finance charge (Toyota 48 mo finance rate is 0.49% for rav4) = 326
Total Rav4 XLE FWD cost = 33327

So you can see you pay way more in financing in Honda than Toyota. The reason I compared XLE FWD too is LE AWD has less bell and whistles than CRV counterpart (missing remote starter, aluminum wheels, dual climate control, tire pressure monitoring system). But if you jump up to XLE FWD you get about all missing stuff plus new things like sunroof, power seats, rear cross traffic alert, blind spot monitoring, powered cargo door that are not in CRV LX AWD.
The only missing would be AWD and remote starter. For me AWD is a nice have but not a must. However, blind spot monitoring, rear traffic alerts are worthy upgrades. The remote starter will cost about 1000 more. But you are getting more bang for your buck rather than paying financing fee. One thing to note, I would definitely buy Honda extended warranty that will cost about 1500 as it is a remake and has less predicted reliability as per Consumer Reports. No need for that in Toyota as this iteration of Rav4 is pretty mature. So at the end of the day, XLE FWD will end up being cheaper than LX AWD (with remote starter installed in XLE).

I liked CRV more than Rav4 and I was almost going to buy CRV till I starting digging the finance part. Now I am more inclining to Rav4 XLE FWD. If Honda only give same financing rates as Toyota, I will go with CRV then but it doesn't look its going to happen.

Thoughts? Comments? I just wanted to share my findings. And before I get bombard on Extended warranty, its a personal choice. I will buy it for 2017 CRV but not for Rav4 for above mentioned reasons.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
4218 posts
3149 upvotes
Markham
You should also look at the 0% 36 months lease option for the RAV4. It's also got an additional (I believe) $350 lease incentive but it's a taxable benefit so in reality only getting $309.

There is no question that for someone in the market RAV4 is a much better overall value compared to the CRV but incentives and rates do change so it's quite possible the tables can be turned in Honda's favor if Honda decides it needs to move more CRVs.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36403 posts
10665 upvotes
Ottawa
Heck122 wrote: So I have been planning to buy either CRV or Rav4 and needless to say there are some prices which are typically ignored till you are sitting at dealer finance office and you can't do this type of comparison at that point. Here's my analysis for CRV and Rav4:

Honda CRV LX AWD

Unhaggle base price +2% dealer = 28164.2
Mandatory fee (including block heater, I am in AB) = 2131
Total + tax (5% AB) = 31810
Finance charge (Honda 48 mo finance rate is 2.49% for crv) = 1618
Total CRV cost = 33428

Rav4 LE AWD

Unhaggle base price +2% dealer = 28039
Total + tax (5% AB) = 31763
Finance charge (Toyota 48 mo finance rate is 0.49% for rav4) = 313
Total Rav4 LE AWD cost = 32076

Rav4 XLE FWD

Unhaggle base price +2% dealer = 29218.9
Total + tax (5% AB) = 33001
Finance charge (Toyota 48 mo finance rate is 0.49% for rav4) = 326
Total Rav4 XLE FWD cost = 33327

So you can see you pay way more in financing in Honda than Toyota. The reason I compared XLE FWD too is LE AWD has less bell and whistles than CRV counterpart (missing remote starter, aluminum wheels, dual climate control, tire pressure monitoring system). But if you jump up to XLE FWD you get about all missing stuff plus new things like sunroof, power seats, rear cross traffic alert, blind spot monitoring, powered cargo door that are not in CRV LX AWD.
The only missing would be AWD and remote starter. For me AWD is a nice have but not a must. However, blind spot monitoring, rear traffic alerts are worthy upgrades. The remote starter will cost about 1000 more. But you are getting more bang for your buck rather than paying financing fee. One thing to note, I would definitely buy Honda extended warranty that will cost about 1500 as it is a remake and has less predicted reliability as per Consumer Reports. No need for that in Toyota as this iteration of Rav4 is pretty mature. So at the end of the day, XLE FWD will end up being cheaper than LX AWD (with remote starter installed in XLE).

I liked CRV more than Rav4 and I was almost going to buy CRV till I starting digging the finance part. Now I am more inclining to Rav4 XLE FWD. If Honda only give same financing rates as Toyota, I will go with CRV then but it doesn't look its going to happen.

Thoughts? Comments? I just wanted to share my findings. And before I get bombard on Extended warranty, its a personal choice. I will buy it for 2017 CRV but not for Rav4 for above mentioned reasons.
I don't see how this is a "2017 Rav4 VS CRV True price comparison" if the Rav is a lesser vehicle?
If you add the " AWD and remote starter" to the XLE to make them even with options I suspect the Rav4 would be more expensive.
X24Secret wrote: You should also look at the 0% 36 months lease option for the RAV4. It's also got an additional (I believe) $350 lease incentive but it's a taxable benefit so in reality only getting $309.

There is no question that for someone in the market RAV4 is a much better overall value compared to the CRV but incentives and rates do change so it's quite possible the tables can be turned in Honda's favor if Honda decides it needs to move more CRVs.
I guess that if you are looking for value, it really depends on what you consider value to be. Is the Rav4 actually
better" vehicle? Or is the CR-V more bang for you buck? Or, are you looking for a vehicle that is good to drive, good mileage, reliable, good reputation and all that.
There are many vehicles that can have overall better value.....if you can define that.
Last edited by Pete_Coach on Jul 2nd, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2005
2576 posts
22 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: I don't see how this is a "2017 Rav4 VS CRV True price comparison" if the Rav is a lesser vehicle?
If you add the " AWD and remote starter" to the XLE to make them even with options I suspect the Rav4 would be more expensive.

This. You get what you pay for.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2015
109 posts
115 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Pete_Coach wrote: I don't see how this is a "2017 Rav4 VS CRV True price comparison" if the Rav is a lesser vehicle?
Well its not apple to apple comparison, I get it. For lower price of rav4 XLE you get sunroof, power seats, blind spot monitoring, rear cross traffic alert etc which you wont get in CRV LX but you have to give up AWD and remote starter. Rav4 LE AWD is even cheaper, even with remote starter added. So at the end it's a personal choice. I just wanted to highlight the cost of finance in this thread and the difference it can make in total price.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8667 posts
4907 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Pricing out CRV LX 2WD vs RAV4 LE 2WD and difference is about $900 [based on APA pricing] in favour of RAV4 however the CRV does have more bells and whistles; yes, even on base models. Like proximity key and remote start and alloys. Toyota has 2 more speakers and some better safety.

Really even, just depends what suits you. Tried and true old school auto with normal aspirated engine RAV4 or new cvt turbo CRV... I would actually prefer CVT with RAV4 engine.

RAV4 has 1k discount after tax, none yet on CRV.
2022: BOC raised 6 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Dec 16, 2014
925 posts
508 upvotes
Easter Island
did you test drive both?
I'd go with RAV4, more features and reliable power train
Feb 25, 2015
733 posts
254 upvotes
ON
These vehicles are very similar in price. The Honda CRV will have higher financing rates because it's a newer vehicle. Honestly pick the one you like better and just try to get the best deal you can, good luck.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2015
109 posts
115 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Test drove both. Felt much better in Rav4 XLE than CRV LX. Main concern in CRV LX was high road noise. Going to finalize deal soon if price workout....
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2009
2558 posts
706 upvotes
Ottawa
Heck122 wrote: Test drove both. Felt much better in Rav4 XLE than CRV LX. Main concern in CRV LX was high road noise. Going to finalize deal soon if price workout....
please keep posting results, i am considering same vehicle and every bit of information is highly appreciated!
IT Services provider in Ottawa area.
Jan 4, 2008
57 posts
57 upvotes
mississuaga
I am in the exact same boat. I found that the RAV4 XLE AWD and the CR-V EX are almost apples to apples with other trims having a bigger features disparity at the same price point.

Things that i have found when comparing the XLE AWD vs CRV EX are as follows
1) CRV has a direct injected small turbo engine with a CVT trannie; RAV4 has a naturally aspirated Multi port fuel injected engine with a 6 speed auto - toyota's definetly years behind on this front but this combo has also been very reliable. you need to decide whether old tech weighs heavier then new tech with better fuel econo numbers.
2) CRV has android auto with an all touch screen (save for the volume knob); RAV4 has old fashioned buttons and knobs - I would take the buttons over android auto personally.
3) RAV4 back seats recline - great for long distance driving with back seat passengers
4) CRV comes standard with remote engine start and 18" alloys

Also call your insurance company and check rates.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2015
109 posts
115 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
verp6 wrote: I am in the exact same boat. I found that the RAV4 XLE AWD and the CR-V EX are almost apples to apples with other trims having a bigger features disparity at the same price point.

Things that i have found when comparing the XLE AWD vs CRV EX are as follows
1) CRV has a direct injected small turbo engine with a CVT trannie; RAV4 has a naturally aspirated Multi port fuel injected engine with a 6 speed auto - toyota's definetly years behind on this front but this combo has also been very reliable. you need to decide whether old tech weighs heavier then new tech with better fuel econo numbers.
2) CRV has android auto with an all touch screen (save for the volume knob); RAV4 has old fashioned buttons and knobs - I would take the buttons over android auto personally.
3) RAV4 back seats recline - great for long distance driving with back seat passengers
4) CRV comes standard with remote engine start and 18" alloys

Also call your insurance company and check rates.
Almost exact thoughts. CRV has better fuel economy but road noise and engine grind is pretty noticeable. However, CRV seems to have better shock absorbers than Rav4 or it could be due to bigger tires. Honda infotainment system is slow with phone connected which defeats the purpose.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2015
109 posts
115 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
So I finalized Rav4 XLE AWD today. I added couple of accessories and had to haggle pretty hard to get to the price range I wanted. The things I got are:
Rav4 XLE AWD with start+ remote starter, tub style mats, cargo liner, 3M paint protection film , block heater. The 3M paint protection package I got covers full hood instead partial front portion of hood that added 300 to original price of 609. Also got life time oil change, car wash and 5250 Aeroplan miles.
This configuration on toyota site sums up to 39071 (all taxes etc. included) plus ~300 extra for 3M (so total ~39371). I was able to bring it down to 36,200. Essentially I got invoice price (30,639) - 189 (or 2500 down from MSRP). Also got ~545 off in accessories. Financing fee extra (~300 for 48 months or ~700 for 60 months).
I think I got a good deal. Can't wait for delivery now....
Jan 4, 2008
57 posts
57 upvotes
mississuaga
Heck122 wrote: So I finalized Rav4 XLE AWD today. I added couple of accessories and had to haggle pretty hard to get to the price range I wanted. The things I got are:
Rav4 XLE AWD with start+ remote starter, tub style mats, cargo liner, 3M paint protection film , block heater. The 3M paint protection package I got covers full hood instead partial front portion of hood that added 300 to original price of 609. Also got life time oil change, car wash and 5250 Aeroplan miles.
This configuration on toyota site sums up to 39071 (all taxes etc. included) plus ~300 extra for 3M (so total ~39371). I was able to bring it down to 36,200. Essentially I got invoice price (30,639) - 189 (or 2500 down from MSRP). Also got ~545 off in accessories. Financing fee extra (~300 for 48 months or ~700 for 60 months).
I think I got a good deal. Can't wait for delivery now....
This looks like a great deal! So 36200 is taxes and fees all in? Including remote start+mats and liner+3M paint+block heater+Oil changes and car washes? Which dealer?
[OP]
Jun 6, 2015
109 posts
115 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
verp6 wrote: This looks like a great deal! So 36200 is taxes and fees all in? Including remote start+mats and liner+3M paint+block heater+Oil changes and car washes? Which dealer?
Yes walk out the door price if paying in cash. Otherwise add financing fee. It was in Calgary. PM me if you are in Calgary and want more details.
Jan 4, 2008
57 posts
57 upvotes
mississuaga
wow that is amazing! congratulations on your new buy. I'm unfortunately in Ontario. but i'm definitely going to push for at least remote start and mats at invoice pricing..
Jan 4, 2008
57 posts
57 upvotes
mississuaga
I signed up for my new XLE FWD yesterday. Though not even close to the great deal OP got IMHO,

I managed to get it down to 274.56 bi-weekly for 60 mo @ 0.99 financed. It was the best deal I got after email bombing about 20+ dealers around the GTA. I couldn't arm twist the dealer into throwing any accessory freebies though :( . I was at least hoping for a cargo liner at the minimum but no-go. I guess Kijiji is my next option for accessories hahaha.

OP let me know what you think of the remote starter.
[OP]
Jun 6, 2015
109 posts
115 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
verp6 wrote: I signed up for my new XLE FWD yesterday. Though not even close to the great deal OP got IMHO,

I managed to get it down to 274.56 bi-weekly for 60 mo @ 0.99 financed. It was the best deal I got after email bombing about 20+ dealers around the GTA. I couldn't arm twist the dealer into throwing any accessory freebies though :( . I was at least hoping for a cargo liner at the minimum but no-go. I guess Kijiji is my next option for accessories hahaha.

OP let me know what you think of the remote starter.
If I recall correctly Torronto has 15% tax vs 5% AB, so your price will be higher by default. 60 mo finance is about 900 dollars. My amount didn't include finance. So not a bad deal overall. For accessories, the only way to get deals is to have multiple accessories and reduce the price overall (which might end up making something free). With 1 or 2 accessories, it is definitely difficult. I selected galactic aqua mica color and seems like its not very commonly available so I might have to wait few weeks. Dealer offered me one with 90+ kms but I declined cuz they had no explanation for high kms. New car above 50 without proper reason is shady in my dictionary.