Automotive

2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech - depreciation over time?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 28th, 2020 3:38 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2003
1571 posts
169 upvotes
Downtown Toronto

2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech - depreciation over time?

Hi,

I've been offered a 2017 WRX Sport-tech from someone close. I was wondering - given average -> low kms and good condition, what is the depreciation of these cars year over year?

Apparently I suck at google and couldn't find a historical pricing site.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31902 posts
18903 upvotes
Toronto
to the diehard owners, they all feel they have 0 depreciation rate. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

But to me, they are worth around $22K right now (book value) with typical mileage of 16,000km per year. Subie dealers would likely be asking $26,000 range
Last edited by booblehead on Jul 28th, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10149 upvotes
Toronto
Hard to say, these cars do keep value. Use autotrader to get an idea of average asking. I believe if I'm not mistaken after 3 years car will be around 55-60 original value on paper, but market probably around 75-80%.

I think my STI was around 57% after 3 years on paper and sold for around 85%.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2008
1079 posts
484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Number of owners, age of owner, quality of maintenance, etc. all play big role in pricing.

The car does not depreciate as high as most other cars, due to the fact that is has been almost unchanged in terms of pretty much everything since 2015.
Last edited by kooroshkabir on Jul 28th, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2003
1571 posts
169 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
great info guys. I'm not sure how long I will keep the car, so it's good to know that if I want to sell it a year or two later down the road that I wouldn't be out that much.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31902 posts
18903 upvotes
Toronto
but the car maket place is an ever changing environment.

Trendy car today does not mean it is in demand 2-3 yrs down the road as lifestyle change, technology change, etc. In the end, you buy car based on what you are interested and wanted, resale down the road is not guaranteed as perhaps, majority of people are more interested in pure electric vehicles.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2003
1571 posts
169 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
booblehead wrote: but the car maket place is an ever changing environment.

Trendy car today does not mean it is in demand 2-3 yrs down the road as lifestyle change, technology change, etc. In the end, you buy car based on what you are interested and wanted, resale down the road is not guaranteed as perhaps, majority of people are more interested in pure electric vehicles.
This typically applies to anything, so use history as an indicator and not as a garauntee.