2017 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD Momentum price

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 14th, 2020 9:32 am
[OP]
Dec 9, 2018
7 posts
2 upvotes

2017 Volvo XC90 T6 AWD Momentum price

We are thinking to get a CPO Volvo XC90 and wondering if anyone knows how much negotiation we can have on the 2017 XC90 T6 Momentum? Dealer price is $44,800 + tax and license fee with 36900 mileage on the car. I also checked the vrm and says retail price is $35,500. that seems like a big difference compared to the dealer price.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
13 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
wow. I sure hope dealer has replaced all the brakes, new tires, threw in factory extended warranty and prepaid maintenance plan as well to ask for that.

If none of those items are evident at all, then $38 - $39K + taxes would be the absolute upper range to offer (only after due diligence is done)

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/cal ... 1510166617

Here is one listing at a Volvo dealer and their asking price is fairly reasonable, given the mileage is a bit high but with a good option packages.

https://www.volvolaval.com/fr/inventair ... -id6635521
[OP]
Dec 9, 2018
7 posts
2 upvotes
That's what I think, a bit too high but I don't know how much to start with negotiation. If my point is to get to $38k, should I start with asking $35 and slowly go up from there? Would they think it's too ridiculous to lower $10k from the listed price? (from $44800 to $35000).

Thanks again.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
some volvo dealers (assuming this is where the vehicle in question is being listed) will not play ball with you if the gap offering is huge ... they will then give excuses such as car just came off lease, no accident, clean car, well maintained, etc .... to justify their asking price.

You can definitely try to offer $35K but dealer may not even counter you as they will not want to waste their time and just wait for that one customer to pay their asking price.

Fair price to offer would be around $36.5 - $37K + taxes and no fees. IMO.
[OP]
Dec 9, 2018
7 posts
2 upvotes
Thank you very much, we will try to start with that and see how it goes. We are in no rush.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
certainly, their asking price should be nowhere higher than $40 - 41K at all to begin with .... that's if they want to sell it quickly at a fair price.
[OP]
Dec 9, 2018
7 posts
2 upvotes
You are right, I told them I pay $38k plus tax and they are not willing to negotiate, it's a CPO and they told me the margin for second hand is 7% and most they can give is 1000-1500 discount... too bad
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
That certainly is a lie Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

No branded dealer will sell a cpo 2nd hand used car for 7%. The absolute min. margin for branded dealer is 20% (only after 6+ months that has been sitting on their lot collecting dust). When it comes on listing right after any lease ended, they typically marked it up to about 30-35% and they will then expect to drop their margin target bit by bit over the next 6-9 months and hopefully they can still get that min margin when sold.

Just keep looking as you should have many choices (brands) out there, unless you are only looking at Volvo
Dec 13, 2006
623 posts
316 upvotes
booblehead wrote: wow. I sure hope dealer has replaced all the brakes, new tires, threw in factory extended warranty and prepaid maintenance plan as well to ask for that.

If none of those items are evident at all, then $38 - $39K + taxes would be the absolute upper range to offer (only after due diligence is done)

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/cal ... 1510166617

Here is one listing at a Volvo dealer and their asking price is fairly reasonable, given the mileage is a bit high but with a good option packages.

https://www.volvolaval.com/fr/inventair ... -id6635521
Hi booblehead, i'm interrested in this exact 2017 XC90 t6 in Laval you listed in exemple. Volvo Laval is sayin the certification is available, but not included. Should they ask more for it or I should be able to get it included? John Scotti in Mtl include it in its listed price.

You seem to know alot about use car negotiation, so any advice on what price to aim for would be appreciated thank.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
From my point of view, this is a Volvo dealer and selling their own brand , they ought to include certification as well. If they refused, I suggest you move on.

The possible reason of not certifying it could be they don’t want to replace certain wearable items and hoping the potential buyer will pick up the bill once they bought it.

Whenever you are buying an used car, if you want to be extra careful of what you are buying, due diligence (your own ppi) is strongly advised.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
At that asking price, they are certainly not going lose any $ on a deal as they have built in a healthy margin at the moment they acquired it (thru trade in or auction ). As far as I believe , if the vehicle has sat for more than 2+ month time, then they know it’s priced too high. After 5 -6 months, then it is becoming more desperate then for dealer to sell quickly and salvage their min. margin take
Dec 13, 2006
623 posts
316 upvotes
AmiesF29539 wrote: We are thinking to get a CPO Volvo XC90 and wondering if anyone knows how much negotiation we can have on the 2017 XC90 T6 Momentum? Dealer price is $44,800 + tax and license fee with 36900 mileage on the car. I also checked the vrm and says retail price is $35,500. that seems like a big difference compared to the dealer price.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hi, i don't know if you bought one but we just bought our and I tought I could help telling you the price we paid.

I don't think we got a the best price possible, everything seem crazy and move fast so dealer did not wanted to negotiate alot. It was new in their lot and not even listed.

We paid 40.3k plus 700$ prep fee, + tax.

Its more than what we were expecting but the one we bough had all option you can get:

2017 cpo momentum t6, 61k, 6y 160k km warranty, osmium grey
Plus, Climat/Vision/convenience
Nappa seat, B&W, Air suspension, Polestar
20 inch whell
Foot step, second row middle seat riser
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31896 posts
18890 upvotes
Toronto
that's certainly premium over the top price paid. Oh well, like you said, what can you do. It's like the real estate market frenzy ... buyers outnumber sellers in some cities.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
4228 posts
561 upvotes
Toronto
Those are some nice options. The Bowers and Wilkens speakers are worth it alone.