Automotive

2018/9 Mazda3 to introduce 2nd gen Skyactiv engine, promises 30 percent better fuel efficiency than the 1st gen

  • Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2018 8:31 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8534 upvotes
GTHA

2018/9 Mazda3 to introduce 2nd gen Skyactiv engine, promises 30 percent better fuel efficiency than the 1st gen

from http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2018- ... 14652.html
With the SkyActiv suite of technologies, Mazda proved that electrification isn’t the answer to the internal combustion engine’s limitations. Available in naturally aspirated, turbo, and diesel flavors, the SkyActiv family of engines are mechanical marvels in their own right for more than one reason: efficiency.

In its relentless quest to keep the internal combustion engine alive by making it relevant in a world enamored with electric vehicles, Mazda plans to introduce the second-generation SkyActiv-G engine. More to the point, a motor that promises 30 percent better fuel efficiency than its predecessor.

As per an exclusive report published by Nikkei, the all-new powerplant will use “pressure, not spark plugs, to ignite fuel.” It sounds ridiculous when you think about it, but Mazda proved time and time again that it can win an argument against all the odds. Here’s a case in point about what I’m on about: the Japanese automaker was the first to perfect the rotary (Wankel) engine.

Due to the lack of spark plugs, the new engine will employ homogenous charge compression ignition (HCCI) to make things go boom. In other words, a gasoline-fed motor with the ignition system of a diesel engine. Other than superior gas mileage, this technical solution is also believed to reduce exhaust emissions. Slated to debut in 2018 in the next-gen Mazda3, the homogenous charge compression ignition SkyActiv mill will then roll out to other models.

Nikkei’s report highlights that the second-generation SkyActiv engine “would give the current Mazda3 mileage approaching 30 km per liter, according to estimates.” That’d be 3.3 l/100 km and 70.5 miles per gallon, figures that would put the 2018 Mazda3 at the very top of the compact segment.

Current Mazda owners with the Skyactiv engine, are you satisfied the your current fuel efficiency?
Last edited by tk1000 on Jan 15th, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
176 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 7, 2007
20565 posts
4611 upvotes
Poormond Hill
30% better fuel efficiency than the current one? I find that hard to believe unless they talking about a diesel or mild hybrid.

Current 3 US epa figures range from 29 city/39/ hwy/ 32 combined to 30 city/40 hwy/33 combined for a 2.0l. For a 2.5l, 25/34/29 to 29/38/32

A 30% increase will take it from 35/50/41 to 39/52/43 for a 2.0l. For a 2.5, that will be 32/44/38 to 38/49/41.

If true, that will be incredible.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1067 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Really have to hand it to Mazda for striving to perfect technologies without severely compromising performance - I cringed when I had to buy an automatic, but Mazda's 6-speed auto is very livable. I refused to buy a CVT equipped car.

Fuel efficiency has been great - no complaints at all.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1921 posts
621 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I just got a 2017 Mazda 3 so I am a bit disappointment to hear this lol.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Apr 26, 2004
11698 posts
1908 upvotes
Mississauga
I have a 2016 Mazda3 with the 2.5L engine and get mileage in the high 5s/low 6s in highway driving (e.g. I drove from Mississauga to Scarborough yesterday and got 6.1L/100km in smooth traffic), so I've been very happy with my mileage. To have it potentially go as low as the mid-3s would be astonishing for an IC engine.

I'm also a bit surprised that they're introducing this in the 2018 model. The 2017 model was a pretty significant mid-cycle refresh, so I assumed 2018 would be unchanged, with the 2019 model being a complete re-design with the new engine.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
13865 posts
14383 upvotes
Oakville
sandikosh wrote: 30% better fuel efficiency than the current one? I find that hard to believe unless they talking about a diesel or mild hybrid.
If true, that will be incredible.
HCCI is basically a diesel engine running gasoline.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21445 posts
2269 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: I have a 2016 Mazda3 with the 2.5L engine and get mileage in the high 5s/low 6s in highway driving (e.g. I drove from Mississauga to Scarborough yesterday and got 6.1L/100km in smooth traffic), so I've been very happy with my mileage. To have it potentially go as low as the mid-3s would be astonishing for an IC engine.

I'm also a bit surprised that they're introducing this in the 2018 model. The 2017 model was a pretty significant mid-cycle refresh, so I assumed 2018 would be unchanged, with the 2019 model being a complete re-design with the new engine.
Our cars are one MY behind. So it's likely to be a 2019 MY car with Skyactiv 2 HCCI, operating at 18:1 globally, or slightly tuned back for north American fuel.

I'm waiting for Skyactiv 3 to see another 30% gain through better tempature control. My current skyactiv engine burns $1200 a year, so this initial 30% savings is only $360 savings a year, not worth buying a new car just yet.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jun 12, 2003
14792 posts
1122 upvotes
Markham
Gonna sell like hotcakes if it gets advertised mileage
ShadowVlican
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 22, 2005
19627 posts
4765 upvotes
Toronto
Is the Mazdaspeed3 dead? :(
Member
Oct 21, 2006
366 posts
177 upvotes
30 percent better fuel efficiency... I will believe it when I see it.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1067 posts
434 upvotes
Toronto, ON
coriolis wrote: Is the Mazdaspeed3 dead? :(
"Word" is it will be reintroduced (in some performance form, maybe not "Speed") after they've successfully launched Skyactiv2. Mazda's CEO has also gone on record saying the previous MazdaSpeed variants were "Childish" and the brand is moving in a more sophisticated and mature direction.

So in short yes, I think we'll see some performance variants from Mazda again, but probably not until 2020 at this rate. Their focus is really on efficiency because of increasingly strict regulations.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 2, 2006
6944 posts
1728 upvotes
GTA
In partnership with Volkswagen? LOL...
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 1, 2008
13886 posts
3153 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Kasakato wrote: Our cars are one MY behind. So it's likely to be a 2019 MY car with Skyactiv 2 HCCI, operating at 18:1 globally, or slightly tuned back for north American fuel.

I'm waiting for Skyactiv 3 to see another 30% gain through better tempature control. My current skyactiv engine burns $1200 a year, so this initial 30% savings is only $360 savings a year, not worth buying a new car just yet.
I thought our MY were the same as the MY in Japan. I remember for the 2017 refresh, the 2016 Mazda Axela is the same as the 2016 Mazda3, and they got the refreshed model for 2017 just like us.

It says the HCCI engine is slated to debut in 2018, not MY2018. This means they are still perfecting the engine and it will most likely debut for MY2019. We can expect MY2019 to be the next generation Mazda Axela.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21445 posts
2269 upvotes
geokilla wrote: I thought our MY were the same as the MY in Japan. I remember for the 2017 refresh, the 2016 Mazda Axela is the same as the 2016 Mazda3, and they got the refreshed model for 2017 just like us.

It says the HCCI engine is slated to debut in 2018, not MY2018. This means they are still perfecting the engine and it will most likely debut for MY2019. We can expect MY2019 to be the next generation Mazda Axela.
18:1 was the CR, not the MY.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2002
2903 posts
281 upvotes
Is the power going to remain the same? Wonder why they don't advertise it for their SUV.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)